Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by rjpalmer 13 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Jon Guy 3 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Joshua Rogan 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (18 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (9 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (6 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (4 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Ann Nichols

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is online now
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penhalion View Post
y the next day it would have become clotted and virtually solid.

Perhaps, the killer was putting together a full English breakfast, with black pudding and kidney`s.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective Detective View Post
There was enough saturation for PC Thain to get blood on his hands when he lifted her. However, I've seen it suggested that this blood would have come from the pool around her head .....

Her back was bloody, and there was blood around the head, but not as much as one would expect.....
Who suggested it, and who would expect?

This reads like carefully chosen words in order to open the door to a theory,....that came to you in a dream?

The blood soaked into her clothing, that's all there is to it.
The only mystery is why anyone chooses to invent theories to argue otherwise.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,621
Default

Victorian women wore voluminous clothing which would have absorbed a great deal of the blood. Important also to remember that the blood would cease to flow once the heart stopped beating, which may well have happened in seconds.

Besides, as Fisherman will doubtless confirm, there is no record of Lechmere approaching Paul with a jug of blood in his hand so it must have all stayed at the scene.
__________________
Regards, Bridewell.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Perhaps, the killer was putting together a full English breakfast, with black pudding and kidney`s.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Who suggested it, and who would expect?

This reads like carefully chosen words in order to open the door to a theory,....that came to you in a dream?

The blood soaked into her clothing, that's all there is to it.
The only mystery is why anyone chooses to invent theories to argue otherwise.
I thought you'd know Jon "It's how it's done nowadays".
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Victorian women wore voluminous clothing which would have absorbed a great deal of the blood. Important also to remember that the blood would cease to flow once the heart stopped beating, which may well have happened in seconds.

Besides, as Fisherman will doubtless confirm, there is no record of Lechmere approaching Paul with a jug of blood in his hand so it must have all stayed at the scene.
It stayed at the scene, alright. Llewellyn said that nearly all the blood had emptied out of the arteries and veins and collected to a large part in the loose tissues of the abdomen.

So you are correct, Colin. The blood WAS left at the scene. A minor part under the neck and soaked into the ulster, but the major part of it inside the abdominal cavity.

The blood was thus accounted for, and not taken from the crime scene other than possibly in a very small amount.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-14-2015, 06:15 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Llewellyn said that nearly all the blood had emptied out of the arteries and veins and collected to a large part in the loose tissues of the abdomen.
The accounts I've read only refer to the blood collecting "in the loose tissues", as opposed to the "loose tissues of the abdomen". Purely in the interests of accuracy, you understand.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The accounts I've read only refer to the blood collecting "in the loose tissues", as opposed to the "loose tissues of the abdomen". Purely in the interests of accuracy, you understand.
Of course I understand. It could be that all that blood that leaked out of the veins and arteries collected in the loose tissues of the cut neck too.

Of course. Accuracy first, Gareth. Always.

Never mind that other sources confirm my take:

"Dr. Llewellyn, however, is understood to have satisfied himself that the great quantity of blood which must have followed the gashes in the abdomen flowed into the abdominal cavity" (Pall Mall Gazette)

There are loose tissues in so many places, so how is one to know for sure?

Last edited by Fisherman : 08-14-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Never mind that other sources confirm my take:

"Dr. Llewellyn, however, is understood to have satisfied himself that the great quantity of blood which must have followed the gashes in the abdomen flowed into the abdominal cavity" (Pall Mall Gazette)
Not too positive a confirmation, though, Fish. "Is understood to" ... "must have followed the gashes" all sounds rather non-committal, if you ask me. Still, it's good to see that the paragraph continues, "but he [Llewellyn] maintains his opinion that the first wounds were those in the throat".

So, re the subject of this thread, the throat would seem a more likely place for our putative blood-thief/vampire to have concentrated his efforts.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Not too positive a confirmation, though, Fish. "Is understood to" ... "must have followed the gashes" all sounds rather non-committal, if you ask me. Still, it's good to see that the paragraph continues, "but he [Llewellyn] maintains his opinion that the first wounds were those in the throat".

So, re the subject of this thread, the throat would seem a more likely place for our putative blood-thief/vampire to have concentrated his efforts.
I find this a waste of time, Gareth, to be honest. If you want to think there were other loose tissues than the ones in the abdomen, where the blood was collected, then I think you need to specify them.

Or you can of course accept things as they are.

Last edited by Fisherman : 08-14-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.