No announcement yet.

Chinese Ripper arrested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The age-old problem is that we have only the behaviour of the ones who got caught to use as a baseline, and without at least some comparative data on undetected serial killers, we have no conclusive way to say how representative the behaviour of captured serial killers is compared to the pool of all serial killers.

On my more cynical days, I expect some sociologist to propose amnesty for murderers so they don't exist "out of sight", and can be properly studied.
    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Good job, Harry - you are catching on!
      One does one's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        One does one's best.
        We should never ask for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
          The age-old problem is that we have only the behaviour of the ones who got caught to use as a baseline, and without at least some comparative data on undetected serial killers, we have no conclusive way to say how representative the behaviour of captured serial killers is compared to the pool of all serial killers.

On my more cynical days, I expect some sociologist to propose amnesty for murderers so they don't exist "out of sight", and can be properly studied.
          A great idea - you should be jailed for it and given the Nobel prize simultaneously.
          It is a very good point you make, nevertheless - what we have on record are caught serialists. And they are normally at it as they are caught. Very few are caught many years after the deeds, but there IS the odd exception, as the BTK killer and this Chinese man.
          How many serialists stay uncaught for every serialist who IS caught? One? Two? More? I really don´t know, but I guess that somebody does know, or has an educated guess. Any which way, I am very sure that a very significant number of the uncaught serialists actually do stop killing. Old age, sexuality tapering off, the thrill going away, substitutions found - there can reasonably be numerous reasons for serialists calling it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            So, a LAPD policeman thinks the Grim Sleeper kept killing.

Somehow, I would prefer evidence to speculations. And I am quite convinced that there are scores of serialists who stopped killing - and who were never caught.
            Spat all over my computer when I read that.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Oh, the irony...

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Yes, I can imagine so.

The article was enlightening and very sad, too. I couldn't help thinking that the serial killer throughout history has focused on vulnerable people as his (usually his, sometimes hers) victims. Whether by age, gender, class, living conditions or occupation, the people who are considered "expendable" will be attractive to the murderer who kills for his own desires.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Did you now? Why was that? And how´s your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                  Yes, I can imagine so.

The article was enlightening and very sad, too. I couldn't help thinking that the serial killer throughout history has focused on vulnerable people as his (usually his, sometimes hers) victims. Whether by age, gender, class, living conditions or occupation, the people who are considered "expendable" will be attractive to the murderer who kills for his own desires.
                  Yes Pcdunn serial killers tend to target those who will not be missed by many so that are less likely to be caught. Also they tend to pick easy targets such as prostitutes working the streets at night on there own.

Cheers John

Comment

With no particular bearing on anything...Ted Bundy did apparently...allegedly...father a child.

She was conceived in the visiting area of death row, according to one story (although I find that incredibly hard to believe). I don't really know what to make of the whole thing, but there are certainly some pictures of a very happy looking post-incarceration Bundy with his 'wife' and a small child who looks very like him.

Stranger than fiction.....

Comment

Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
                      With no particular bearing on anything...Ted Bundy did apparently...allegedly...father a child.

She was conceived in the visiting area of death row, according to one story (although I find that incredibly hard to believe). I don't really know what to make of the whole thing, but there are certainly some pictures of a very happy looking post-incarceration Bundy with his 'wife' and a small child who looks very like him.

Stranger than fiction.....
                      Let´s hope she is not named Carol...

Comment

Working...
                      X