John Cleese interview on Python, career, and Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Cleese interview on Python, career, and Trump

Pretty interesting and insightful talk from the tall guy in the Monty Python group. An "Esquire" interview.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

"When Gingrich was the Speaker of the House, he said that there could be no friendships across the aisle, and I think that, combined with Fox News, are the two most harmful things that have happened to America in the past 20 years."

He must have missed 9/11.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Im a fan of Cleese and almost everything Python.

John Cleese though is a mentalist. He believes in reincarnation for goodness sake. That's is not necessarily meant as a criticism of him. The world is a better place for being populated by idiosyncratic nutters. I respect his opinions on comedy. Everything else he opines on, not so much. I would get as much wisdom listening to my cat as I would listening to John Cleese.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
        John Cleese though is a mentalist. He believes in reincarnation for goodness sake.
        Why is that nutty?

Comment

I guess he'll be coming back as a crab so that his walk will be even sillier.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
            Thanks for the link. Im a fan of Cleese and almost everything Python.

John Cleese though is a mentalist. He believes in reincarnation for goodness sake. That's is not necessarily meant as a criticism of him. The world is a better place for being populated by idiosyncratic nutters. I respect his opinions on comedy. Everything else he opines on, not so much. I would get as much wisdom listening to my cat as I would listening to John Cleese.

I don't understand how "He believes in reincarnation for goodness sake" makes him a nutter.....how is that crazier then "eternal life because you picked the right God" or going to hell for masturbating....seriously.....I'm not saying I agree with Mr. Cleese....but that argument just doesn't hold water....

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Stead, just don't tell the environmentalists about this - people will have to put out their souls to be recycled and there'll be a fine if they don't.

Comment

Steadman has a point, though. Many people around the world believe in reincarnation, as a tenet of their faith. To say that one thing makes them "nutty" because it isn't your belief is a bit extreme. Live and let live, I say. (Or live and let relive, as the case may be...)
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Gives a whole new dimension to telling the wife "I'll do it when I get round to it."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    I guess he'll be coming back as a crab so that his walk will be even sillier.
                    LOL.
                    or a drunk crane. Very funny and interesting character!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      I don't understand how "He believes in reincarnation for goodness sake" makes him a nutter.....how is that crazier then "eternal life because you picked the right God" or going to hell for masturbating....seriously.....I'm not saying I agree with Mr. Cleese....but that argument just doesn't hold water....

Steadmund Brand
                      Well put.

I'm not a reincarnationist, but if I was I'd want to come back as a pet in my house.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Well put.

I'm not a reincarnationist, but if I was I'd want to come back as a pet in my house.
                        Too true! Our friends say that about us and our cats!
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          Too true! Our friends say that about us and our cats!
                          It's mainly dogs here, but yep even the cat, goldfish or bird have a great life.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

Steadmund Brand

I didn't mean to suggest that a belief in reincarnation alone makes him a nutter. That's just one of a number of things about Cleese that makes me dubious of anything he says. My admiration of John Cleese took a hit when he lost money in a costly divorce and started to whore himself around in the media. The man is basically a formerly talented comedian whose opinion on comedy between 1965-1980 is of some interest. His opinion on anything else should be of no more interest or importance than the opinion of Joe Bloggs on recent developments in nuclear physics.

Comment

I agree with Cleese here and don't care about reincarnation beliefs or any of that supernatural nonsense that anyone eschews logic for. He uses common sense here. He always has. I do think he's a bit of a jerk, however, but at 77, a lot of people just tell it like it is and there are no fears of repercussion.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X