McKenzie's aliases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKenzie's aliases

Alice McKenzie has proved as impervious to research as Mary Kelly. The list of names used by her makes any progress difficult. These include:
    Mackenzie
    McKenzie
    M'Kenzie
    Bryant
    Murrell
    Kelly
    Riley

As I am doing some work on McKenzie, I would grateful to know if anyone has seen any other alleged alias of hers.
    Chris

Hi Chris

Good luck in getting more information on Clay Pipe Alice's various aliases. In regard to the McKenzie versus M'Kenzie question, though, I wanted to point out that "M'Kenzie" was more just a period convention of referring to "McKenzie." For example, early printings in newspapers of would later be renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner" give the title as "The Defense of Fort M'Henry" when the name of the fort was clearly Fort McHenry, named by and for George Washington's Secretary of War, Ballymena, Antrim, Northern Ireland-born James McHenry. It is doubtful, I should think, that Alice ever referred to herself as Alice M'Kenzie, just rather that that is the way the name may sometimes appear in documents or newspaper accounts.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    http://www.ripperologist.biz
    http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Hi Chris
      many thanks for the point you made - this of course also applies to renderings such as M'Cormack and M'Carthy
      Any findings that I think of interest I'll post here.
      My working hypothesis is that McKenzie was actually a woman named Alice Neville born in Chesterton, in the soiuth west part of Peterborough in 1848/9
      She married a man named Joseph A Nash and had a young daughter named Letitia Nash
      If I am able to substantiate any of this I'll post here
      regards and thanks
      chris

Comment

Hi Chris
        Over on the Old Bailey online site there is a 20 year old Alice McKenzie on 9th May 1859 involved in coining offences at a perfumers shop in Leadenhall Street.
        All the best
        Rob

Comment

Hi, Chris

I am new to the boards and have been trying to find information on Alice Mackenzie but like everyone else I have found her to be particularly elusive.

I have found an Alice Alice Braen (Bryant) that was living in Peterborough in 1861, in the 1851 census her name is Spelt Bryant. Her DOB is abt 1844 so might be to early.

Anyway back to searching, i will let you know if anything comes of it.

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
            Hi Chris
            many thanks for the point you made - this of course also applies to renderings such as M'Cormack and M'Carthy
            Any findings that I think of interest I'll post here.
            My working hypothesis is that McKenzie was actually a woman named Alice Neville born in Chesterton, in the soiuth west part of Peterborough in 1848/9
            She married a man named Joseph A Nash and had a young daughter named Letitia Nash
            If I am able to substantiate any of this I'll post here
            regards and thanks
            chris
            Did anything come of this research, Chris? I've tried to look into the claim that her father was a postman in Liverpool but have drawn a blank so far - quite apart from anything else, we don't know for sure that McKenzie wasn't her married name.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
            X