Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - by harry 4 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 15 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 41 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Scott Nelson 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (42 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (8 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (5 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Detective

It's taken me a long time to do so, but I've just finished reading this book.

Simon - I'd like to congratulate you because it's really very, very good indeed. It's a rare thing indeed for me to feel moved to actually write a review of a book, but in this case I would like to. I remember the murders so well, particularly Maartje Tamboezer - I was approaching my 10th birthday when she was killed, and the black and white picture of her play pouting for the camera has always stuck in my head for some reason.

Firstly, it's extremely sympathetically written. While you are left in no doubt of the horror of what those women went through at the hands of Mulcahy and Duffy, it doesn't glorify the violence or go into grisly detail. An air of respect for the victims is maintained throughout - I suspect that Simon's Father would approve of the way that the details of the rapes and murders were handled. The respect that Simon (and all of DS Farquhar's colleagues) had for him flows through the pages.

Secondly, it's refreshing - to say the least - to read a book that focuses on the story from the point of view of the investigative team. It's almost like Mulcahy and Duffy are relegated to a footnote in history - two abnormal, impotent and unimportant men, who would never have had the slightest impact on the world on their own, had they not met. I suspect that time and age have made Duffy genuinely contrite for what he did - I am not in the least bit sorry that he has the rest of his life to reflect upon the misery that he brought to the world.

While reading the book, I was horrified to discover that Mulcahy has a website. The drivel that is being spouted on that site tested my belief in freedom of speech to the absolute limit. From Simon's book, I understand that DM also named every single victim on his grotesque site (even the previously anonymous rape victims) and quite who is assisting him in this venture is a mind boggling thought. The only slight disappointment for me is that he's spent a decade less in prison than his dear friend.

I highly, highly recommend the book - gripping and thoughtfully written.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
It's taken me a long time to do so, but I've just finished reading this book.

Simon - I'd like to congratulate you because it's really very, very good indeed. It's a rare thing indeed for me to feel moved to actually write a review of a book, but in this case I would like to. I remember the murders so well, particularly Maartje Tamboezer - I was approaching my 10th birthday when she was killed, and the black and white picture of her play pouting for the camera has always stuck in my head for some reason.

Firstly, it's extremely sympathetically written. While you are left in no doubt of the horror of what those women went through at the hands of Mulcahy and Duffy, it doesn't glorify the violence or go into grisly detail. An air of respect for the victims is maintained throughout - I suspect that Simon's Father would approve of the way that the details of the rapes and murders were handled. The respect that Simon (and all of DS Farquhar's colleagues) had for him flows through the pages.

Secondly, it's refreshing - to say the least - to read a book that focuses on the story from the point of view of the investigative team. It's almost like Mulcahy and Duffy are relegated to a footnote in history - two abnormal, impotent and unimportant men, who would never have had the slightest impact on the world on their own, had they not met. I suspect that time and age have made Duffy genuinely contrite for what he did - I am not in the least bit sorry that he has the rest of his life to reflect upon the misery that he brought to the world.

While reading the book, I was horrified to discover that Mulcahy has a website. The drivel that is being spouted on that site tested my belief in freedom of speech to the absolute limit. From Simon's book, I understand that DM also named every single victim on his grotesque site (even the previously anonymous rape victims) and quite who is assisting him in this venture is a mind boggling thought. The only slight disappointment for me is that he's spent a decade less in prison than his dear friend.

I highly, highly recommend the book - gripping and thoughtfully written.
Thank you so much for this, it means a huge amount to me. It was an extraordinary journey to go on, and I couldn't have wished for more that what you have taken the trouble to write here.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Detective

The pleasure is definitely mine.