Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - by harry 4 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 15 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 41 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Scott Nelson 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (42 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (8 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (5 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Like I said, I'm not playing that game. And it's not because I can't, it's because I can't be arsed.
No, Gareth, it is because you have no case. Disprove it or live with it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
No, Gareth, it is because you have no case. Disprove it or live with it.
Like I said, Fish, I've no interest in playing that game. There is a case - and a far, far stronger one than you could possibly make for linking the Torso killings and Ripper murders. If you can't see that, then it's not my problem, sorry.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Like I said, Fish, I've no interest in playing that game. There is a case - and a far, far stronger one than you could possibly make for linking the Torso killings and Ripper murders. If you can't see that, then it's not my problem, I'm afraid.
That may well be something you think. But that was never what was under discussion. What was under discussion was he fact that you claimed that there were "much, much more similarities" between the Napper murders and the Ash-Smith murder than between the Ripper murders and the Torso murders.

Now you want to move the goalposts and instead speak of your inner conviction that there is a far stronger case for linking your cases than mine, a conviction that I do not share. But that won´t matter, since you will inevitably do the same thing again: state something as a fact and then stay VERY far away from proving your point.

It is a completely useless exercise, and it is not flattering for you at all. If you have a case to make, then make it and be done with it. If not, then don´t.

I´m through with it, because I don´t like it one bit.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
That may well be something you think. But that was never what was under discussion. What was under discussion was he fact that you claimed that there were "much, much ore similarities between the Napper murders and the Ash-Smith murder than between the Ripper murders and the Torso murders.
There are, in terms of significant similarities. Insignificant links can, of course, be obtained by generalising too much and blurring the selection criteria, but I wouldn't advocate that as a sensible way forward.
Quote:
Now you want to move the goalposts and instead speak of your inner conviction that there is a far stronger case for linking your cases than mine
There are more similarities, objectively speaking.
Quote:
It is a completely useless exercise, and it is not flattering for you at all.
I'll let others be the judge of that, Fish.
Quote:
If you have a case to make, then make it and be done with it. If not, then don´t.
I've told you, I'm not going to waste my time. You'll only piss on everything I say, so what's the point?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
There are, in terms of significant similarities. Insignificant links can, of course, be obtained by generalising too much and blurring the selection criteria, but I wouldn't advocate that as a sensible way forward.There are more similarities, objectively speaking.I'll let others be the judge of that, Fish.I've told you, I'm not going to waste my time. You'll only piss on everything I say, so what's the point?
The point is to have a flawed and faulty argument pissed at. If that is what you think I aim to do. Otherwise, it is to have a flawed and faulty argument fairly criticized. And I have done that already.
There are three similarities between your examples and twelve between the torso and ripper cases. And since you don´t want to "play games" it should delight you to hear that this means game over.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.