Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Joshua Rogan 10 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - by Fisherman 22 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by PaulB 27 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 28 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - by Abby Normal 50 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 54 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (50 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 AM
Commisioner

Michael W Richards: Logic requires pattern and consistency, sequential occurrences. In these cases the behaviors can vary greatly, so its impractical to merely assume a routinely morphing murderer.

Merely assume? The assumption is not grabbed out of thin air, Michael. And there is not much morphing as far as I can tell. There is more of similarities.

I think the crux is what Sam struck on, disposal of remains. Something unseen in the Canonicals, save for some organs.

Why, Michael, would we expect the Ripper to cut up his victims and scuttle off for the Thames? The victims were killed in spots that were unconnected to the killer, in all probability, and so there was no need for dumping them elsewhere.

The display was part of the Ripper crimes, the shock value must have been something that was required or desired to complete the act.

No, it must not, actually. It may well be that what the Ripper did, he did for himself only. And then he left it behind, gruesome as it was. There is no need to accept that the killer MUST have wanted to shock society, although he may have wanted to do so. Equally, he may have discovered that effect after having killed Nichols and - foremost - Chapman.

If you look at the murder of Polly and Annie there seems to be little to suggest other than a random act of violence upon a stranger, with the ultimate objective being to mutilate the cooling remains.

No, when I look at them, I see a desire to fulfil a ritual, something that was interrupted in Bucks Row, but much more fulfilled in Hanbury Street. The violence had a very clear meaning, and it is no coincidence that the scenes turned out the way they did.
That´s what I see, so we need to differ on the point until further notice.

I think the taking of specific organs is a secondary goal.

I think it was just as important to him as was the rest of the cutting. I don´t regard it as secondary, nor as primary - but instead just as part of it all.

The Torsos were created out of sight and disposed of with some degree of stealth.

The stealth only involved not getting detected, though - it did not comprise making the parts disappear. On the contrary, they were aimed to be found, in my view.

Had no-one found any of the remains, excluding 1 torso perhaps, the killer likely would have been sated, and content to remain in the shadows.

I disagree. The killer would have carried on to kill, the way I see it.

Jack needed the audience.

Neither man needed the audience, but both men embraced and welcomed the attention they were getting. If there was not another man on earth, they would both have had the urge to kill anyway.

On the 1 torso perhaps placed, I feel its a political statement.

I assume we are talking about the Whitehall torso? I don´t rule out the possibility that there were political implications, but we will find that impossibe to convert to any evidenced truth. It may equally have been - and I favour that explanation - a comment directed to the police only, but with the hope of the overall society becoming informed of the delivery of the message.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote