Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
    Hi Harry

Looking at the use of Jack. The union jack, no one knows where that term originated, but it has possible roots from Charles the 2nds time.

You can also associate it with a trade.

Also the phrase 'jack of all trades' has been in usage since the 1600s.

The first letter that was sent, I think, was the dear boss letter. I believe it to be fake. Now the from hell letter I feel could be authentic, because of the kidney.

The dear boss letter was the letter that bore the name: Jack the ripper. Dissecting the reason as to why the dear boss letter was sent in the first place: Was it to try and incriminate someone? Was it sent as a joke? Was a good publicity stunt for the papers?

If the dear boss letter was the first, then of course the obvious thing for writers of other letters to do is to copy that example.

The from hell letter was not sent to the papers, rather to Lusk. The killer I don't think wanted to brag about the murders in the form of letters, the murders did that for him. If he did write this letter then Lusk was an important piece of the puzzle to this case.

Having said that, I don't know who the killer was. He may well have been a jew. I just don't think the letters are a strong enough indicator as to the killer being a jew.
    There is also "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick!" from the old nursery rhyme. But that Jack is jumping over a candle stick. If that was the linked "Jack" was the author suggesting the dexterity of how he (the Ripper) avoided getting burned (i.e., getting caught) for his crimes?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
      Person I remember best changing his name from JACOB is ISRAEL. Was his last name Schwartz or Lipski?
      Well, it can't be Lipski, because he had been hanged in November 1887 by Mr. Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        Legend has it that 'Jack the Ripper' gave himself the famous epithet in the Dear Boss letter. While these days it seems to be generally accepted that the letter was cooked up by the press, I'm open to the possibility that the letter (along with several others) were authentic.

But where did the killer get the inspiration for this trade name? Why the name Jack? Is the answer not staring us in the face? "Jack" is derived from the name "Jacob", the biblical patriarch. There seems to be a number of Jews called Jacob, even today, who assume the nickname "Jack" rather than use their Old Testament first name. The killer obviously wasn't going to use his real name, so he chose a variant thereof that was more common, less semitic and yet allowed him to retain his real identity.
        As a Jewish male, whose Hebrew name is "Yitzak Yaacob", my version of the anglicanization of my name is "Jeffrey Ira". Which is anglicanization with a fault because my first name in English should be "Geoffrey" not "Jeffrey", As a result my first name is like Lord Amherst and similar to the notorious Judge of the "Bloody Assizes". It could not be "Jack" because I was named for my father's late father (he had just died before I was born), and he was "Jake" or "Jack". Traditionally, in Jewish homes, if you are being named for an ancestor or recently deceased relative, your Hebrew name is the same, but you alter the anglicized name to be different. That may be due to some type of superstition, but I am not sure.

By the way, I always would have appreciated it if my middle name was "Isaac" not "Ira". It's a matter of euphonics to me about the two names being pronounced ("Isaac" sounds more forceful).

Jeff (not unfortunately "Geoff")

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
          Jack is a nickname for jacob.
          Wouldn't Jake be a more natural nickname for Jacob? Jack is first of all a nickname for John, but good old Wiki says it can also be a nickname for Jonathan, Jackson, James, Jason, Jacob, Joseph, or Jared. Sure, that does include Jacob, but it would be very presumptious to assume that a person called Jack is actually called Jacob. John would be first and foremost, here. If someone wanted people to associate the killer with the Jews, they would not do so through "Jack". Then they might as well have signed the letters, "Jacob the Ripper" or "Jake the Ripper", but even then that might not have been sufficient. Rather, Jack was almost certainly chosen because of its common use as a generalisation. Like the aforementioned "jolly Jack tar", or "Jack of all trades". "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." That's something JtR probably would agree with wholeheartedly, actually.
          Last edited by Karl; 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Wouldn't Jake be a more natural nickname for Jacob? Jack is first of all a nickname for John, but good old Wiki says it can also be a nickname for Jonathan, Jackson, James, Jason, Jacob, Joseph, or Jared. Sure, that does include Jacob, but it would be very presumptious to assume that a person called Jack is actually called Jacob. John would be first and foremost, here. If someone wanted people to associate the killer with the Jews, they would not do so through "Jack". Then they might as well have signed the letters, "Jacob the Ripper" or "Jake the Ripper", but even then that might not have been sufficient. Rather, Jack was almost certainly chosen because of its common use as a generalisation. Like the aforementioned "jolly Jack tar", or "Jack of all trades". "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." That's something JtR probably would agree with wholeheartedly, actually.
            I know a Jack whose name is Jacob, that's all I meant. Why is Jack a nickname for John? I know this was probably very common 50 years ago...but I think it's less common now? I don't know any John's who go by Jack

Comment

Origin[edit]
              Jack is thought to harken back to Medieval times as a common derivative of the name John. The nickname has also been seen as Jackie among men (examples of note: Jackie Coogan, Jackie Cooper, and Jackie Gleason, all formally named John). This "Jackie" diminutive of the nickname Jack is thought by some to have hailed from the earlier "Jackin" (born of the appellation Jankin).[3][4] Alternatively, it may be derived from the name Jacques, the French form of the name Jacob.[3] There is also a theory that it is Celtic in origin, meaning "Healthy, Strong, Full of Vital Energy" (compare the Welsh word iach, "health"), from a putative Ancient British Jakkios.[5] Whatever its origin, both the name and the word "jack" were long used as a term to refer to any man, especially of the common classes.[2][6]

Comment

I know a Jack whose name is Jacob, that's all I meant. Why is Jack a nickname for John? I know this was probably very common 50 years ago...but I think it's less common now? I don't know any John's who go by Jack
                Why? Because English speakers are lunatics, that's why. "John" is already short enough, so why should "Jack" be its diminutive? Even has the same number of letters. Same thing with Harry for Henry. And what about Jim for James or Dick for Richard? It's insane!

"Inflammable means flammable? What a country!"

Comment

"Jack" is also used in placed of an unknown name.

"move it, Jack" for instance. Some say "buddy" some say "man" some say "ashole"... some say "Jack".
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Jack was also the name of one of Jacob Levys's son. As explained earlier by Mayerling, likely he was born Jacob but used Jack.
                    It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Origin[edit]
                      Jack is thought to harken back to Medieval times as a common derivative of the name John. The nickname has also been seen as Jackie among men (examples of note: Jackie Coogan, Jackie Cooper, and Jackie Gleason, all formally named John). This "Jackie" diminutive of the nickname Jack is thought by some to have hailed from the earlier "Jackin" (born of the appellation Jankin).[3][4] Alternatively, it may be derived from the name Jacques, the French form of the name Jacob.[3] There is also a theory that it is Celtic in origin, meaning "Healthy, Strong, Full of Vital Energy" (compare the Welsh word iach, "health"), from a putative Ancient British Jakkios.[5] Whatever its origin, both the name and the word "jack" were long used as a term to refer to any man, especially of the common classes.[2][6]
                      Jack of all trades
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Jack, not Jake?

Jack is a nickname for jacob.
                        Is that a British thing?

I think in the U.S., "Jake" is more often a nickname for Jacob than "Jack".
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          Aren't there lots of speculations as to why Jack was chosen as a 'trade name'?
                          Hi, Rosella -- I thought the trade name was "Ripper", rather than "Jack", having heard somewhere that upholsters called removing old coverings from furniture "ripping" them.

Also, maybe a "ripper" was a gangster, given the reference to "High-Rip Gangs".
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            Is that a British thing?

I think in the U.S., "Jake" is more often a nickname for Jacob than "Jack".
                            I'm in the US, I know a jack whose name is jacob.

Comment

Jacob Isenschmidt was also called Joseph in one record?
                              Pat....

Comment

Jack was a name used by the press ie: spring heeled Jack etc.
                                Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X