Owlman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owlman

I thought I would throw this strange British mystery creature out there as a topic and see what people might think. In the spring and summer of 1976, in the woods behind Mawnan Church above Parson's Beach on Falmouth Bay in Cornwall, several children in separate incidents without knowing about each other all reported seeing a human-sized flying creature they described as half man-half owl with red glowing eyes. All described it the same way and agreed it could not have been a person in a costume since it actually flew. Writers have compared it to the "Mothman" creature seen in West Virginia in the 60s. At the same general time as the Owlman was seen there were also sea monster and UFO sightings in the same place, so it was definitely a very strange time. Any thoughts on what might have been going on?

I have been in Cornwall twice and have so wanted to visit the place, not for any realistic thought that something seen almost 40 years ago might put in another appearance but just for history's sake as I'm a cryptozoology enthusiast. But something's always kept me from making it there. I was just there about a month ago and was as close as the town of Falmouth this time, with a rental car with a spare tire on after suffering wheel damage. So close, I thought! But being urged not to put too many miles on the spare, I knew it would take me some time and trial and error getting lost to find the place so I opted against it. Back in 2008 though when I mentioned wanting to visit Mawnan Church to a tour guide I had in Glastonbury, she said, "Oh, the Owlman?" So I gather it's somewhat well known.

I've certainly heard of the Owlman, although I've something of an interest in such things anyway, so may not be a representative sample. I'm afraid I have no theories about it, except that like you, I'm sure they saw something real.
    - Ginger

Comment

Report #3 for the year 1926 is:

Location. Mawnan, Cornwall, Wales
      Date: 1926 Time: unknown
      Two small boys claimed to have been chased by a large man-owl type creature and hid behind an iron gate to protect themselves from its claws. This sighting was apparently reported in the local paper at the time.

It would be interesting to see if the report could be found in period papers. The compiler of these reports (Albert Rosales) isn't so much interested in investigating them, as just in collecting all of the information in one place. Consequently, his catalogue will sometimes have several versions of the same event, with dates or other details differing slightly. If the owlman actually was seen in 1926, then the whole thing becomes much more interesting.
      - Ginger

Comment

Mawnan, Cornwall, Wales...

Well which is it...it can't be both...

Comment

It's a Bird! It's a Plane ... No, it's a bird.

This might be relevant, but unwelcome.

West Virginia's 'Mothman' of 1967 was almost certainly an off course Sand-Hill Crane eg. a really big bird.

Comment

I think the Flatwoods Monster from 1952 has also been explained as possibly an owl.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
            X