25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    If it's a forgery, and it could very well be, I'm sorry guys but it's not an amateurish one.
    Can't agree with you there, Herlock.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
      Your comment about the change from Jim to Jack made me think of an intentional shift between personalities, the likes of which we see in fiction all the time to depict a change in the dominant side of the character. We see that in Psycho, in which Bates flits between himself and his mother, and ultimately becomes his mother, the more dominant of the two.

Fiction 101.
      Actually, my copy of the facsimile is number 101. I was quite pleased with that, in an orwellian sense
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
        Buy the book, Mike...you tight ole get

And while you're at it, invest in some Valium...this can't be good for your blood pressure...
        My blood-pressure if fine, Kaz, you not seen my picture? I'm practically an Adonis

I'd rather spend my money on the important stuff, like glass hammers and chocolate teapots!

Comment

I think when you have people who say stuff like "those coincidences can be explained away," and "I'm using facts to come up with a plausible explanation," that kind of tells you how little Occam's Razor has come into play.
          Thanks Mike, I tend to agree.

It is fascinating that people tend to throw away all critical faculties when it suits them.

A classic example of confirmation bias.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Actually, my copy of the facsimile is number 101. I was quite pleased with that, in an orwellian sense
            Another coincidence!

Comment

My blood-pressure if fine, Kaz, you not seen my picture? I'm practically an Adonis

I'd rather spend my money on the important stuff, like glass hammers and chocolate teapots!

This is obviously important to you...why else would one spend so much time and energy on a suspect?

Behaviour....ODD

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                Thanks Mike, I tend to agree.

It is fascinating that people tend to throw away all critical faculties when it suits them.

A classic example of confirmation bias.
                Most definitely, confirmation bias and selective attention, and we see it in lots of belief-systems.

This hoax honestly plays along like every other hoax in history, imho.

Comment

This is obviously important to you...why else would one spend so much time and energy on a suspect?

Behaviour....ODD
                  Well, considering I've mentioned countless times that I live right next to Riversdale road and have grown up with a vested interest in the subject of the Maybricks' as well as a separate interest in the Ripper, and have grown up knowing the family of Tony Devereux, I'll let you make your own mind up, Kaz.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohrocky View Post
                    So anybody who has an opposing view to you or, as in my case, no particular view at all, is a "naysayer"?!

I am always open to persuasion when it comes to JtR. I have no "favourite" suspect and I'm not trying to cash in by writing a book. I would be delighted if the Diary could be proved to have been written by Maybrick but I'm not seeing any evidence that it was.

It was this kind of spikey, accusative response, that put me off posting on here despite having registered many years ago. Maybe this "closed shop" approach is why so many don't hang around for long.

You've seen me off. I won't trouble you again.
                    Please don't let the attitude of fanatics see you leave. And I use the word after careful consideration.

The degree of rudeness and intolerance displayed over and over again by many posters to those who dare to disagree with them is truly unbelievable.
                    Just look at the responses I draw on occasions.
                    When people insult, you need to realise they have no other response.

I don't post much on this subject, I consider it an irrelevance. I was at Roberts talk in London and NOTHING he said convinced me.

You just have to let the maybrick people have their day. It will blow over like all these things do.

Steve

Comment

Well, considering I've mentioned countless times that I live right next to Riversdale road and have grown up with a vested interest in the subject of the Maybricks' as well as a separate interest in the Ripper, and have grown up knowing the family of Tony Devereux, I'll let you make your own mind up, Kaz.

put it in your sig, I'm sure theres many here who also didn't ... (we don't all live in the ripper world you know...)

Carry on, as you were, naysay away...

Or just buy the book to ANSWER all of your 'coincidences'...your call

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

You just have to let the maybrick people have their day. It will blow over like all these things do.

Steve

With respect, WHEN will it?

In another 25 years, maybe?

Comment

put it in your sig, I'm sure theres many here who also didn't ... (we don't all live in the ripper world you know...)

Carry on, as you were, naysay away...

Or just buy the book to ANSWER all of your 'coincidences'...your call
                          Translation: I can't refute any of these coincidences and I obviously don't really have any kind of decent argument against you, Mike, but...errr...please buy the book!

Comment

Translation: I can't refute any of these coincidences and I obviously don't really have any kind of decent argument against you, Mike, but...errr...please buy the book!

I have the answers, thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                              Who are 'they'? I thought Bruce was the only one and that seems to have been common knowledge since the dawn of time.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              I was referring to the notion that Michael Maybrick wrote the Diary as a hoax, not that he was the murderer.

Comment

I have the answers, thanks

Pull the other one, mate, it's got bells on.

Comment

Working...
                                X