No announcement yet.

Wall or Enterance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Arnold there Dave, ( Johnny on the spot ) , or was he going off Warrens report ?
    Yes Arnold was the Head of H Division, and he was there...It was, in fact, he who suggested the erasure to Warren.

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave ,

So it would appear , The GSG may well have actually been on the entrance brickwork after all ! Unless Warren and Arnold conspired ( LOL )

Sometimes i feel like banging my head against an Arch

cheers

moonbegger

Comment

I think you may misunderstand me...But take a look at the picture I mentioned Chris, and see what you think...

All the best

Dave

Comment

is it on line anywhere Dave ?

Comment

Hi Chris

Well I don't think it's the same photo but it might do:-

http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4923/18793.html

If nothing else it shows how much this has been debated before!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Do you see a narrow entrance where shoulders would brush the chalk? No...

Do you see a narrow stairway where shoulders might brush the chalk? Well...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks again Dave ,

Holy cow , i had just given up on this , But this Post by Chris George makes a lot of sense !

we're told that the graffito was above the piece of apron and the overwhelming weight of testimony, as Chris Phillips noted, is that the apron (and by inference the graffito) was in the hallway. P.C. Long said he found the piece of apron "lying in a passage leading to the staircases of 108 to 119 Model Dwelling House" (Coroner's inquest (L), 1888, No. 135, Catherine Eddowes inquest, 1888. Corporation of London Record Office.) Detective Halse of the City Police also said the writing was inside the passage, explaining that if the apron had been there at 2.20 a.m. "he would not necessarily have seen it, for it was in the building."
                And also this (part of the same post ) Which was a point i was about to make about the shoulder rubbing .. Chris George had already put it out there a lot better than i .

Superintendent Thomas Arnold said that the writing was "on the wall of the entrance to some dwellings. It was in such a position that it would have been rubbed by the shoulders of persons passing in & out of the Building." (Report by Superintendent Thomas Arnold, H Division, dated 6 November 1888). On the face of it, this seems to support Warren, but only if we interpret "passing in & out of the building" very precisely as meaning the street entrance, but his words could mean going up or down the interior stairway and quite frankly if the graffito was going to be rubbed by the shoulders of people then it's more likely to have happened at the bottom of those narrow stairs than at the comparatively wide street entrance to the building.
                Not to mention they all my have been referring to a completely different door jamb in the first place ! Also The only contemporary illustration is from 'The Illustrated Police News' which implies the writing was indeed inside the building on a large wall .

Still Confused

moonbegger .

Comment

Hi Chris

Quite...you and me both mate!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X