A6 Rebooted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post

But Janet was fully aware of Mike's indiscretions and didn't seem too bothered about them. She freely admitted that she couldn't give him the sex he wanted, and thus wasn't particularly concerned about his dallyings with other women, of which she was quite aware. I suppose one could say that for the very early 1960's this was an unusually 'easy' attitude, but it's how it was with Janet. And seriously, how many 'wronged' wives would go to the trouble of 'employing' a gunman to blow their unfaithful husbands' brains out? Give me details of just a couple of such cases from the early 1960's and I might just go along with your scenario. And don't forget that Janet lived extra-maritally with William Ewer for some years after the dust had settled, so if your image of a wronged wife seeking vengeance is true, then it would be the pot calling the kettle black. No, your scenario won't wash, Moste. Think again.

Graham
    What’s this! Where did I mention Janet having any input into Mikes Extra marital affairs .No , I think you have hold of the wrong end of the stick here Graham . I am trying to reference a husband going absolutely ballistic ( .38 ballistic if you like ) when he discovers the wife and mother of his 3 beautiful children , is having ‘ extra maritals’ with the slime ball down at her office! and decides after all other pleadings,and second chances and so forth have been exhausted, he’s going to take the law into his own hands and plans to stop Gregsten at all costs.I do see how my post may have been misunderstood on rereading .Hope this clarifies my supposition,

Comment

• Just to clarify for Newcomers and anyone not familiar with Michael Gregstens mind-set.
      Here is a fellow who according to his own admission ,failed his college finals partly due to his ‘Compulsive desire to pick up women’(Woffinden chapter 2) A colleague recognized ‘Mike suffered from An over- developed sexual drive’.
      A Roy Bigmore working with Mike at the Fire Research Laboratories, prior to his joining Road Research Laboratories, related that Mike confided that ‘ he was in love with an assistant In the office , and contemplated leaving home to go and live with her ,and probably would have done so but for his strong attachment to his son Simon.’The affair though lasted eighteen months, and was finally concluded when the woman broke it off because she wanted a more settled relationship.Mike transferred to Road Research Labs in 1956. where the following year he takes up with Valerie Storie. They are lovers for the next 4 years until Mikes Murder. Despite Mikes wife Janet having no feelings sexually towards her husband ,and apparently allowing him Full reign to satisfy his powerful Sexual urges elsewhere, 2 years into his Storie affair
      Janet gives birth to a baby boy . So, partly because of the above, and my feeling that that is only the tip of the iceberg, I find myself forced into ,what does Cobalt call it? “Thinking,well,Outside the box”

Comment

• Just to clarify for Newcomers and anyone not familiar with Michael Gregstens mind-set.
        Here is a fellow who according to his own admission ,failed his college finals partly due to his ‘Compulsive desire to pick up women’(Woffinden chapter 2) A colleague recognized ‘Mike suffered from An over- developed sexual drive’.
        A Roy Bigmore working with Mike at the Fire Research Laboratories, prior to his joining Road Research Laboratories, related that Mike confided that ‘ he was in love with an assistant In the office , and contemplated leaving home to go and live with her ,and probably would have done so but for his strong attachment to his son Simon.’The affair though lasted eighteen months, and was finally concluded when the woman broke it off because she wanted a more settled relationship.Mike transferred to Road Research Labs in 1956. where the following year he takes up with Valerie Storie. They are lovers for the next 4 years until Mikes Murder. Despite Mikes wife Janet having no feelings sexually towards her husband ,and apparently allowing him Full reign to satisfy his powerful Sexual urges elsewhere, 2 years into his Storie affair
        Janet gives birth to a baby boy . So, partly because of the above, and my feeling that that is only the tip of the iceberg, I find myself forced into ,what does Cobalt call it? “Thinking,well,Outside the box”

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post
          Just to clarify for Newcomers and anyone not familiar with Michael Gregstens mind-set.
          Originally posted by moste View Post
          Just to clarify for Newcomers and anyone not familiar with Michael Gregstens mind-set.
          Is this some sort of spot the difference competition?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spitfire View Post

Is this some sort of spot the difference competition?
            LoL ....must be a glitch! Feel free to study both for as long as you like though. Maybe they’re not the same.

Comment

• QUOTE: I would add that Moste - and thank you for your responses as well - tends to lump Hanratty being framed by others and police misconduct all in as one. As far as I am concerned, they are two different aspects.

Best regards and good to be back,
              OneRound

Well obviously ,I can’t agree with that. With the police adjustments of Hanratty’s statements, their withholding of important information, Failure to follow up on witnesses statements, and Chief super.Roger Mathews conclusion, that his thorough investigation revealed Hanratty not to be the killer , and that all of his files ,notes , documents, and witness statements were all available to the police detectives at the time. This tells me that probably with a little help from narks, like Nudds and co. The police were in the business of framing Hanratty.
              re, your destroyed modem . Coincidentally I had a similar catastrophe. The family pet cat brought in a large rat through the cat flap. The rodent escaped and took up residence behind the fridge. We knew nothing until ‘horror of horrors’ the damn thing chewed through a plastic water pipe In the middle of the night and flooded the basement .large wide screen tv ,blue ray player, carpet and underlay all went west.Total cost $ 26,000 . Thank goodness for house insurance. Which because we past the magic $25,000 we could get our deductible back. So O.R. Your advice though to late for me , is nonetheless Sound.

Comment

QUOTE: I would add that Moste - and thank you for your responses as well - tends to lump Hanratty being framed by others and police misconduct all in as one. As far as I am concerned, they are two different aspects.

Best regards and good to be back,
                OneRound

Well obviously ,I can’t agree with that. With the police adjustments of Hanratty’s statements, their withholding of important information, Failure to follow up on witnesses statements, and Chief super.Roger Mathews conclusion, that his thorough investigation revealed Hanratty not to be the killer , and that all of his files ,notes , documents, and witness statements were all available to the police detectives at the time. This tells me that probably with a little help from narks, like Nudds and co. The police were in the business of framing Hanratty.
                re, your destroyed modem . Coincidentally I had a similar catastrophe. The family pet cat brought in a large rat through the cat flap. The rodent escaped and took up residence behind the fridge. We knew nothing until ‘horror of horrors’ the damn thing chewed through a plastic water pipe In the middle of the night and flooded the basement .large wide screen tv ,blue ray player, carpet and underlay all went west.Total cost $ 26,000 . Thank goodness for house insurance. Which because we past the magic $25,000 we could get our deductible back. So O.R. Your advice though to late for me , is nonetheless Sound.
                Hi Moste - thanks for your further response. As always, it's a forum of opinions.

Sorry for your inconvenience but loved the story of the cat and the rat!!

Best regards,
                OneRound

Comment

• Sorry for your inconvenience but loved the story of the cat and the rat!!
                  Sounds like a line from Richard III....

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• With regard to Moste's post 6046, I'm still not sure if I've grasped what he's getting at. But I would say that Paul Foot was convinced that Janet Gregsten was a vengeful harpie who instigated the 'plot' in cahoots with Ewer to teach her erring husband a thorough good lesson. As time went on, and when Foot actually met Janet, he changed his opinion of her competely. He was also doubting whether Alphon was, in fact, the A6 killer, wondering if he, Alphon, had led everyone, Foot included, a 'fantastic dance'. But Foot could never quite rid himself of the idea that Alphon was somehow involved in the crime, even if he wasn't the man with the gun.

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

With regard to Moste's post 6046, I'm still not sure if I've grasped what he's getting at. But I would say that Paul Foot was convinced that Janet Gregsten was a vengeful harpie who instigated the 'plot' in cahoots with Ewer to teach her erring husband a thorough good lesson. As time went on, and when Foot actually met Janet, he changed his opinion of her competely. He was also doubting whether Alphon was, in fact, the A6 killer, wondering if he, Alphon, had led everyone, Foot included, a 'fantastic dance'. But Foot could never quite rid himself of the idea that Alphon was somehow involved in the crime, even if he wasn't the man with the gun.

Graham
                      Hi Graham - I think Moste's point is that Gregsten shagged senseless so many women during his time that there would be plenty of aggrieved husbands out there gunning for him in every sense.

Best regards,
                      OneRound

Comment

• Hi OR,

well, yes, that's one way of putting it....Moste should have said so, as I've led a pure, unsullied life. But re: Gregsten, IIRC he'd been 'with' Valerie for about 4 years at the time of the crime, so unless he was cheating on her as well as Janet he seemed to be, er, 'faithfully unfaithful'. Plus, he (and Janet) were eternally short of money, to the extent he had to borrow the Morris off his aunt, and Janet sold his piano, which doubtless went down like a lead balloon. So I don't really see Mike as having a long and ever-changing queue of hopeful mistresses at his door...but you never know. Makes you wonder why no-one came after Ewer, when he was shacked up with Janet after the dust had settled.

Graham

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post

Hi Graham - I think Moste's point is that Gregsten shagged senseless so many women during his time that there would be plenty of aggrieved husbands out there gunning for him in every sense.

Best regards,
                          OneRound
                          No just one!

Comment

No just one!
                            Shagged a few, but it only takes one Aggrieved husband to reach the end of his rope!

Comment

No just one!
                              That's what I thought you meant! I can't remember where I read it, in one or other of the books, but it seems that Valerie's parents were fully aware of her relationship with Gregsten, and did nothing to end it. If so, this was a very enlightened attitude for 1961, assuming they actually knew that Gregsten was married.

Graham

Comment

That's what I thought you meant! I can't remember where I read it, in one or other of the books, but it seems that Valerie's parents were fully aware of her relationship with Gregsten, and did nothing to end it. If so, this was a very enlightened attitude for 1961, assuming they actually knew that Gregsten was married.

Graham
                                mmh! Well, Storie herself goes into some detail on her parents awareness re her association with Gregsten ,in her newspaper supplement from June of ‘ 62 Posted on this Forum by S H. Of course she doesn’t mention Gregsten having children, but I think states ‘someone snitched to them, but they were ok about it.’ Which I take to mean her parents were aware that Mike was married. Otherwise Valerie going out with a single man would not require ‘ They were OK with it. ‘

Comment

Working...
                                X