No announcement yet.

Why I find the diary implausible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Mr Barrett did make a lot of money but the people around him made a lot more.The point I'm trying to make when the police came sniffing the situation was such that all the people involved had to do was point finger at a dead man .Don't forget Tony the man from the pub who Barrett claimed gave him diary was ill at the time and died soon afterwards as well .Even if the diary was proven a fake and police wanted to charge any one because of the story concerning Billy Graham which was backed up by Mrs Anne barrett meant they were all in the clear.When someone is investigated by the police and not charged it dosnt mean they are innocent what it means is the crown prosecution service thinks there is less than a sixty per cent chance of obtaining a conviction.
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Starting a new thread on a subject that already has two threads dealing with it...I find inplausible!
      Last edited by spyglass; 08-18-2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
        Starting a new thread on a subject that already has two threads dealing with it...I find inplausible!
        This thread was intended as a place to discuss issues with the diary that are not provenance, forensic evidence about the ink and scrapbook, etc. - but issues with the actual content.

Clearly, there was no interest from forum members apart from myself, because it quickly turned into another discussion of potential hoaxers, character discussions about hoaxer suspects, etc.

I'm very disappointed with what's happened to this thread.

Comment

sorry if I have upset you I had no intention of doing that I didn't join case book to upset anyone.It is impossible to discuss diary in a serious way without coming back to the main most important point where has it come from .
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
            This thread was intended as a place to discuss issues with the diary that are not provenance, forensic evidence about the ink and scrapbook, etc. - but issues with the actual content.

Clearly, there was no interest from forum members apart from myself, because it quickly turned into another discussion of potential hoaxers, character discussions about hoaxer suspects, etc.

Unfortunately, any discussion of the Diary will inevitably lead to a discussion of its possible provenance(s) and the personalities involved with it. All this and more was discussed at excruciating length on the old boards, with generally the same results. I'm sorry if you feel that subsequent posters have gone off-thread, but that's the way it goes.

IMHO there are too many 'Diary Threads' as it is.

G
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post

Too bad you're disappointed. Provenance and content are connected. Nothing you can do about that.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

I originally thought the diary was true or should I say I think I wanted it to be true .After meeting Mr Barrett and standing back and looking at the basic facts I formed a few conclusions.None of the conclusions are earth shattering but they do lead me to the conclusion that diary is faked.I read Mr Feldmans book which I found very entertaining but this reinforced my opinion (and I might be wrong) that the diary is a fake.I would love diary to be true because it would resolve this most interesting and fascinating case then again if it was every solved I would have to find a proper hobby

Comment

The likelihood that the culprit was a Liverpudlian merchant with no real connection to the area is extremely thin.
                  That this man was the subject of a famous murder case and lived near a district called Whitechapel leads to a rolling of the eyes.
                  That his 'confession' doesn't match his handwriting and was found in the back of a book with the front pages torn out stinks.

That he makes no effort to describe the murderous events in any detail is another give away. As is his sticking to just the conventional populist story.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                    That he makes no effort to describe the murderous events in any detail is another give away. As is his sticking to just the conventional populist story.
                    Absolutely. Nothing is learned about the murders except that Maybrick did them and that he traveled back and forth to London in order to kill. One would have expected to have discovered a few answers to niggling questions in the "diary", but no.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

I have got no problem with maybrick been jack the ripper or the diary itself.What I have got a problem with is where it's come from and please don't suggest I read Mr Feldmans book because I have and that convinced me that the diary is bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Tony Devereux's daughters always vigorously denied that their father had anything at all to do with the 'Diary'. He died shortly after Barrett announced he was in possession of it, so couldn't be interviewed.
                        Hi Graham,

It's worse than that. Tony Devereux died before Mike announced he had the diary. Tony died on August 8th, 1991, and Mike didn't call Doreen Montgomery until March 9th, 1992, seven months later.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          The likelihood that the culprit was a Liverpudlian merchant with no real connection to the area is extremely thin.
                          Hi Lech,

Well it would be extremely thin if you were right about the Liverpudlian merchant in question having 'no real connection' to the area.

With so many decent arguments against Maybrick as Jack, I will never understand the need to keep bolstering one's case with stuff that basic research showed many years ago to be quite untrue.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

I think maybrick makes a very good suspect his addiction to arsenic could explain the killers boldness

Comment

I'm not aware that research has shown it to be 'quite untrue'.
                              The Robertson connection - where and when, properly pinning her down and resolving the verbal accounts with the records - seems murky to me. That's why I equivocated slightly with the expression 'no real connection', rather than a more explicit 'absolutely no connection'.
                              The office address is in the City was relatively close to the East End but how many City workers do you think ventured further east than Aldgate pump? And did he ever go to that office anyway?
                              Last edited by Lechmere; 08-20-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

I didn't even consider the office connection, because there is no evidence that Maybrick ever needed to go there in person. I meant the established links, being a frequent visitor to London and having worked in the East End in his early years, where he met Sarah Robertson, who became his mistress. Murky only because he failed to make "an honest woman" of her, and was still seeing her after his marriage to Florie; not because he could not have been familiar enough with the area for a spoof diary connecting the two high-profile murder cases of 88/89.

The hoaxer(s) did plenty of homework, they just didn't bother to try and copy Maybrick's handwriting - which they could easily have done if this had been a late 1980s effort to convince the world and make millions.

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X