No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ Thanks Mayerling, I'll search it out.

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 November 19 - Labor organizer Joe Hill is executed by a Utah firing squad for a double murder that occurred during a grocery store robbery. Some have asserted that the conviction might have been politically motivated.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        100 years ago - 1915 November 19 - Labor organizer Joe Hill is executed by a Utah firing squad for a double murder that occurred during a grocery store robbery. Some have asserted that the conviction might have been politically motivated.
        "I dreamt I saw Joe Hill last night,
        alive as you and me.
        But Joe I heard you're ten years dead?
        "I never died!", said he...."

Only fitting way to mark the date.

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 November 26 - Sydney crime figure Robert "Jacky" Steele is gunned down on the street. He did live about a month but did eventually die from his wounds. No one was arrested in the hit but suspicion was that Australian crime boss Lenny McPherson was behind the operation.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 December 2 - Emogene Harrington, 56, is attacked and murdered in the basement of her apartment building. She is believed to be one of seven women slain by Posteal Laskey, aka The Cincinnati Starngler. The serial killer was actually only convicted of one later murder and sent to prison for life. In 2007, he died of natural causes while still incarcerated.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 December 8 - In France, Berthe Anna Heon, 55, vanishes after a date to meet Henri Landru. She is believed to be the fifth victim of the serial killer. Landru's ploy was to seduce lonely older women then murder them after gaining access to their financial assets. It is believed that he killed at least eleven, disposing of their remains in his stove. He went to the guillotine in 1922.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 December 10 - Andrew Pixley is executed in a Wyoming gas chamber for the murders of Debbie McAuliffe, 12, and her 8-year-old sister Cindy. He had broken into the girl's hotel room while their parents were out. The victims were sexually assaulted and then beaten to death with a rock. Cindy was also strangled but their 6-year-old sister wasn't harmed.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'day Stan

Thanks for all the interesting history.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Thanks GUT. I think I started this in January 2008 so I will complete the full 50 year cycle in December 2057 when I'm 111.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 12-07-2015, 01:10 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      Thanks GUT. I think I started this in January 2008 so I will complete the full 50 year cycle in December 2057 when I'm 111.
                      Well you will just have to do as much as you can young man.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 December 13 - In a New Jersey hospital, Carl Rohrbeck dies mysteriously after checking in for a relatively minor matter. He was the first of nine patients to die under similar circumstances over the next ten months. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was found to have curare in his possession and was charged with this and four other murders but was acquitted. The case remains unsolved.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 12-10-2015, 06:33 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 December 17 - Ivor Pearce, an English taxi driver, is found deceased in his cab. The victim had been shot in the back of the head and robbed by someone he'd picked up. This murder is still unsolved but police have received some correspondence that indicates that the killing may only have been staged to look like a robbery.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 200 years ago - 1815 December 22 - Jose Morelos, a former Catholic priest, is executed by firing squad in Mexico. He had been convicted of treason due to his participation in the war to free Mexico from Spanish rule.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 December 25 - In France, Anne Collomb, 44, vanishes after visiting the home of Henri Landru. She is believed to be the sixth victim of this serial killer. Landru's ploy was to seduce lonely older women then murder them once he gained access to their financial resources. He's thought to have killed at least eleven after which he burned their remains in his stove. Eventually he was arrested and found guilty then sent to the guillotine in 1922.

100 years ago - 1915 December 25 - Journalist Huang Yuanyong is gunned down in San Francisco. The murder is unsolved but some suspect that it was related to some differences he had with the new Republic of China state, even though, he was generally in support of the government in his home country.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 December 30 - Diana Tiff, 5, disappears while on a short walk to her grandmother's house. In two weeks, her body will be found along with that of another little girl who had vanished in the previous September. Both girls are believed to be victims of English serial child killer Raymond Morris. He was, however, only convicted of a later slaying and died incarcerated during 2014.
                                Last edited by sdreid; 12-27-2015, 08:21 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X