What book should I get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    How far back do you want to go? Have you read Leonard Matters' 1929 book on Jack, 'The Mystery of Jack the Ripper'?

'Jack the Ripper: A Bibliography and Review of the Literature' by Alexander Kelly and David Sharp, which also lists fiction, drama, films, music on Jack, though only up to 1995, is a good read.
    Thanks rosella

Comment

Does anyone know if the "thames torso murders of Victorian London" is worth buying/reading? Both that & trows book are rather expensive but I wonder if they contain any good info on the torso murders that isn't readily available here?

Comment

Don't forget Monty's book either, a real eye opener on police procedure.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Don't forget Monty's book either, a real eye opener on police procedure.
          Which book is that bud?

Comment

Nel Bell

I think the name is

"Catching Jack the Ripper".

Not at home now so working from memory, not really a JtR book but great on police procedure from joining, through training to on the job.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Nel Bell

I think the name is

"Catching Jack the Ripper".

Not at home now so working from memory, not really a JtR book but great on police procedure from joining, through training to on the job.
              Oh nice thanks gut.ive been seeing that one and it's looks interesting..is there info about the torso case in there?

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                Oh nice thanks gut.ive been seeing that one and it's looks interesting..is there info about the torso case in there?
                Off the top of my head, not that springs to mind.
                G U T

Comment

Does anyone know if the "thames torso murders of Victorian London" is worth buying/reading?

Do you mean the one by RM Gordon? I know a bit about him and that book!

Helena
                  Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                    Do you mean the one by RM Gordon? I know a bit about him and that book!

Helena
                    Yes that's indeed one. What do you think about? I believe it's a suspect book which For the most part I try to steer away from. However it's not like there are many options when it's comes to torso (2)

Comment

Does anyone know if the "thames torso murders of Victorian London" is worth buying/reading? Both that & trows book are rather expensive but I wonder if they contain any good info on the torso murders that isn't readily available here?
                      I enjoyed both these books, aside from the George Chapman did it nonsense of the Gordon book. Neither are exhaustive nor do they make use of some of the best documentation on the cases, but if you're interested in learning about the torso murders they're still the only game in town.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. It's Capturing Jack the Ripper' by Neil R. A. Bell. Typing 'Ripper Neil Bell' in Amazon will bring it up.

Comment

Did Monty say if a digital version of his book will be available soon?
                        Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                        - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I've been onto Amazon and did some purchasing:

Bought as Kindle e-books:
                          The Bank Holiday Murders by Wescott
                          The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Sugden
                          Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell by Evans
                          Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer by Trow
                          Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect by House
                          The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook by Evans

Able to read free as a member of Kindle Unlimited:
                          Chasing the Ripper (Kindle single) by Cornwell
                          Jack the Ripper: the Simple Truth by Paley
                          This is a fiction title: A Tale from Ripper Street: Inspector Edmund Reid's Hunt for Jack the Ripper (probably a tie-in to the television series)
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            I've been onto Amazon and did some purchasing:

Bought as Kindle e-books:
                            The Bank Holiday Murders by Wescott
                            The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Sugden
                            Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell by Evans
                            Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer by Trow
                            Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect by House
                            The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook by Evans

Able to read free as a member of Kindle Unlimited:
                            Chasing the Ripper (Kindle single) by Cornwell
                            Jack the Ripper: the Simple Truth by Paley
                            This is a fiction title: A Tale from Ripper Street: Inspector Edmund Reid's Hunt for Jack the Ripper (probably a tie-in to the television series)

Pat [oops sorry Dunny]

What is Kindle unlmited.
                            G U T

Comment

Pat [oops sorry Dunny]

What is Kindle unlmited.
                              Doesn't matter, found it, just as usual not available n Aus, or perhaps anywhere outside USA.
                              G U T

Comment

Doesn't matter, found it, just as usual not available n Aus, or perhaps anywhere outside USA.
                                Kindle Unlimited by Amazon charges a monthly subscription price (about $10 US) and allows the subscriber to choose from thousands of titles, that can be sent to your reading device or the Kindle Cloud reader for "free".
                                The "unlimited" part means a subscriber doesn't have either a minimum or a maximum title count to worry about.

I think it is a bit like renting an e-book rather than buying it outright for keeping forever. Good way to check things out if you don't know how good they are.

Don't know if other Amazons have anything like it, to be honest. (Can't imagine why they wouldn't, unless copyright laws in other countries are a barrier.)

I think I also ordered a print copy of The Complete Jack the Ripper A to Z in print, as it wasn't in e-book format. I got the 2010 edition, so if we own the first edition, this won't duplicate it.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X