This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Yes, and so would women of all walks of life and all social classes. Both Stride and Eddowes were wearing chemises under layers of other clothing when found. Chemises were practical undergarments, pure and simple.
    Yes, the kind of chemise Stride and Eddowes were wearing were practical undergarments. And other chemises were nightgowns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Yes, the kind of chemise Stride and Eddowes were wearing were practical undergarments. And other chemises were nightgowns.
      How many lower class East End women had the luxury of specially designated nightwear?
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Regardless of this, it fits in with what I have in mind.
        What I have in mind is that, having killed, the killer removed the victim's outer clothing for disposal, tore off the undergarment she was already wearing prior to cutting her up, and used the cloth as an improvised wrapper/bandage.
        Last edited by Sam Flynn; 10-25-2017, 11:43 PM.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• >>Yes, the kind of chemise Stride and Eddowes were wearing were practical undergarments. And other chemises were nightgowns.<<

Sorry but, no.

Chemises were chemises, nightgowns were nightgowns, two totally different garments.

Some men, so I'm told, sleep in there jocks, that doesn't make jocks, pyjamas.

Whether the chemise belonged to the killer, I have no opinion on, but if it was a chemise it wasn't a nightgown and visa versa.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

What I have in mind is that, having killed, the killer removed the victim's outer clothing for disposal, tore off the undergarment she was already wearing prior to cutting her up, and used the cloth as an improvised wrapper/bandage.
            That is possible. The scenario that offers itself up in such a case is that the killer cut the victim up, leaving the head and arms on the torso, and then, at a later stage, just before he set off to dump the torso, he took the head off and used the chemise to stop whatever bleeding there could have been from the severed neck a body that had been emptied of blood.

I find that an odd thing to do, since there would not have been any substantial bleeding anyway, but the sources seem to tell us that this was what happened nevertheless.

Comment

I find that an odd thing to do, since there would not have been any substantial bleeding anyway, but the sources seem to tell us that this was what happened nevertheless.
              Indeed, and the same sources say that the chemise was stained with blood, so it was evidently still seeping from the cut tissues.

PS: whilst the body had been drained/emptied of blood, it doesn't mean that it was totally dry.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                >>Yes, the kind of chemise Stride and Eddowes were wearing were practical undergarments. And other chemises were nightgowns.<<

Sorry but, no.

Chemises were chemises, nightgowns were nightgowns, two totally different garments.

Some men, so I'm told, sleep in there jocks, that doesn't make jocks, pyjamas.

Whether the chemise belonged to the killer, I have no opinion on, but if it was a chemise it wasn't a nightgown and visa versa.
                If you search the net, you will find victorian chemises that differ a whole lot from the typical one. The latter was knee-long, for example, and there are chemises that are full length too, some of them described with the heading chemise/nightgown.
                I have little doubt that the term was almost only used about the undergarment type, and if it was never used about nightgear at all, it makes no difference to me: what I have in mind would require a garment that LOOKED like a nightgown, quite simply. And the Pinchin Street chemise may very well have done just that.

Comment

Indeed, and the same sources say that the chemise was stained with blood, so it was evidently still seeping from the cut tissues.

PS: whilst the body had been drained/emptied of blood, it doesn't mean that it was totally dry.
                  We actually know that it wasn´t, since the reddish surface of the cut neck was said to be "moist", if my memory serves me.

Comment

Yes, and so would women of all walks of life and all social classes. Both Stride and Eddowes were wearing chemises under layers of other clothing when found. Chemises were practical undergarments, pure and simple.
                    But are chemises associated with prostitution? And were they in 1889?

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                      But are chemises associated with prostitution? And were they in 1889?
                      No, they weren't associated with prostitution in the least, and were worn by all kinds of women. In previous centuries, chemises weren't even associated with women; men wore them too.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

No, they weren't associated with prostitution in the least, and were worn by all kinds of women. In previous centuries, chemises weren't even associated with women; men wore them too.
                        But weren´t men associated with women back then...?

Comment

• 117 pages in and I'm still wondering if this question by Fish has been answered?

Question:

Has there ever been any example of a town or region where two eviscerating serial killers have worked simultaneously?
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            117 pages in and I'm still wondering if this question by Fish has been answered?
                            Yes London. And neither were Lechmere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              117 pages in and I'm still wondering if this question by Fish has been answered?
                              If so, then I have not seen it.

And the fact of the matter is that I have not even moved on to the next question yet:

Has there ever been a town or a region where two simultaneously working serial killers and eviscerators have made the same kind of cuts to their victims´ abdomens and taken away abdominal walls in large flaps?

Apart from London in the late eighteenhundreds, I mean.
                              Last edited by Fisherman; 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

If so, then I have not seen it.

And the fact of the matter is that I have not even moved on to the next question yet:

Has there ever been a town or a region where two simultaneously working serial killers have made the same kind of cuts to their victims´ abdomens and taken away abdominal walls in large flaps?
                                See my last post.

Comment

Working...
                                X