Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Mike,

Paul Begg stating something doesn't automatically make it a fact.

I have listened to your lecture.

Regards,

Simon
    Very true Simon. I also had Martin Fido's (who listened to my lectures personally) undivided attention in Baltimore. We had an excellent post-lecture discussion. You probably will not be surprised by my next comment, Simon, there's more to come!

By the way, the photo of Tumblety you just posted came from me scanning it out of Neil Storey's book. I added the bottom comments with his personal permission.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
      Very true Simon. I also had Martin Fido's (who listened to my lectures personally) undivided attention in Baltimore. We had an excellent post-lecture discussion. You probably will not be surprised by my next comment, Simon, there's more to come!

By the way, the photo of Tumblety you just posted came from me scanning it out of Neil Storey's book. I added the bottom comments with his personal permission.

Sincerely,
      Mike
      Now that is worrying, more to come, that means we will have to go over again the points that eliminate him as a suspect, points which you continually ignore, when are you ever going to give it up ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        Now that is worrying, more to come, that means we will have to go over again the points that eliminate him as a suspect, points which you continually ignore, when are you ever going to give it up ?
        Says the same person who got caught with biased rhetoric. Shall I remind everyone of Sir George Arthur?

Comment

Says the same person who got caught with biased rhetoric. Shall I remind everyone of Sir George Arthur?
          Let me do it for you, with thanks to Christopher Morley and his book "A suspect guide" and then you can tell us all again what this has to do with Tumbelty being your ripper suspect.

Comment

I also had Martin Fido's (who listened to my lectures personally) undivided attention in Baltimore.
            Mike
            Are you sure he wasn't asleep ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              Let me do it for you, with thanks to Christopher Morley and his book "A suspect guide" and then you can tell us all again what this has to do with Tumbelty being your ripper suspect.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
              Ok, we will. Notice that the only three articles tagged under Morley's article that report on Sir George Arthur being arrested on suspicion came from the very same November 17 New York World newscable dispatch that stated Tumblety was arrested on suspicion for the Whitechapel crimes. You claim Tumblety being arrested on suspicion is bunk because the New York papers cannot be trusted (I believe you call them secondary sources, thus, wrong), yet this is the very same (and only) source of Arthur's arrest. Curiously, in your article 'Lost at Sea' (I'm sorry, 'Doctor at Sea') you discuss Arthur's arrest as a reality. Can't have it both ways, Trevor.

King of moving the goal posts.
              Last edited by mklhawley; 06-11-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike,

The story of Sir George Arthur's arrest on suspicion of being JtR came from a number of London Correspondents and appeared in a multitude of English provincial newspapers. The New York World had little to do with it.

I find it interesting that Sir George Arthur's arrest needs to be a fantasy in order for your Tumblety story to be a reality.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Mike,

The story of Sir George Arthur's arrest on suspicion of being JtR came from a number of London Correspondents and appeared in a multitude of English provincial newspapers. The New York World had little to do with it.

I find it interesting that Sir George Arthur's arrest needs to be a fantasy in order for your Tumblety story to be a reality.

Regards,

Simon
                  How deceptive of you, Simon. Which particular London paper mentioned his name?

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Sir George Arthur was mentioned by name in the [London] Echo and the following provincial newspapers—

Dundee Evening Telegraph
                    Hertford Mercury
                    Dover Express
                    Peterhead Sentinel
                    Sevenoaks Chronicle
                    North Devon Gazette
                    Cornubian and Redruth Times
                    Eddowes Journal and General Advertiser

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Mike,

Sir George Arthur was mentioned by name in the [London] Echo and the following provincial newspapers—

Dundee Evening Telegraph
                      Hertford Mercury
                      Dover Express
                      Peterhead Sentinel
                      Sevenoaks Chronicle
                      North Devon Gazette
                      Cornubian and Redruth Times
                      Eddowes Journal and General Advertiser

Regards,

Simon
                      HI Simon,

E. Tracy Greaves, New York World London correspondent, broke the story on November 17, 1888. Do you mind reporting the dates of these reports?

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

You're right. Greaves did break the Sir George Arthur story in America. The reports I cited in which Arthur was named varied in style and came out about a week after the NY World.

On Saturday 17th November 1888, Greaves wrote about "the arrest last week of little Sir George Arthur on suspicion of being the Whitechapel murderer."

On which date do you think this incident took place?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Mike,

You're right. Greaves did break the Sir George Arthur story in America. The reports I cited in which Arthur was named varied in style and came out about a week after the NY World.

On Saturday 17th November 1888, Greaves wrote about "the arrest last week of little Sir George Arthur on suspicion of being the Whitechapel murderer."

On which date do you think this incident took place?

Regards,

Simon
                          Hi Simon,

I'm not entirely sure of a particular date, but since the dispatch seems to be Greaves getting a weekly update (the "this week" phrase), or an update since Kelly was murdered, it suggests the arrest being after her murder.

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, New York, 10 November 1888
                          London’s Reign of Terror
                          The assassin of Whitechapel has claimed his ninth victim, having planned and executed his latest crime with all the deliberation and cunning that characterized his former exploits. . . . It has been said among other things that the assassin is an American, because he wears a slouch hat . .

This certainly suggests Scotland Yard was on the lookout for someone in a slouch hat just after the Kelly murder, which reinforces the idea Sir George Arthur getting arrested post-Kelly.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X