Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McCormack's age and place of employment

The Victims section has this to say about McKenzie and McCormack:
    "Little is known of Alice McKenzie's early years and upbringing, except that she was born sometime around 1849 and was said to have been raised in Peterborough. She was later to move into the East End of London sometime before 1874, and began living sporadically with a John McCormack (also Bryant) around 9 years later in 1883.
    McCormack, an Irishman, was in the employ of some Jewish tailors in Hanbury Street as a porter. He shared lodgings in various doss houses with his common-law wife for around six years, and their last cohabitation was at Mr. Tenpenny's lodging house: 52 Gun Street (Sugden) or 54 Gun Street (Begg et alia), Spitalfields. They moved there around April of 1889."

Both McKenzie and McCormack have eluded tracing in census records.
    In an interview I read today (Aberdeen Weekly Journal 18 July 1889) McCormack gives two detail about himself I hadn't seen before. He gives his age as 63 and his place of employment as a clothier's firm named Parnell, in Bishopsgate Street. Any trace of such a firm in the trade directories?

Here is the interview:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM.

It also seems that John McCormack was known to other residents of the lodging house as Jim:
    Attached Files

Comment

There is a reference in the London Gazette (14 May 1872) to a Robert Parnall (sic) of Bishopsgate Street Without, described as wholesale clothier and outfitter (see below)
      His wife is named as Elizabeth Parnell

1881 Census
      69 Addison Road, Kensington
      Head: Robert Parnell aged 65 born Pembroke - Wholesale clothier
      Wife: Elizabeth Parnell aged 41 born Stepney
      Child:
      Rose E Parnell aged 10 born Uxbridge

By 1891 Elizabeth Parnall (sic) was living as a widow of independent means in Shanklin, Isle of Wight

The name was actually Parnall as shown by the registration of Robert's death:
      Name: Robert Parnall
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
      Year of Registration: 1885
      Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
      Age at Death: 69
      District: Kensington
      County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The trade directory for 1884 shows the business address for Parnall's business:
        Attached Files

Comment

The address is confirmed from a membership listing of 1878 including Robert's brother, Henry. The list is that of members of The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion of London (Robert was listed as born in Pembroke)
          In one of those strange coincidences in the Ripper case, the entry two below that of Henry Parnall is for Mr. Serjeant Parry of 8 King's Bench Walk
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

There are some interesting details about the Parnalls, including photos of Robert and Henry, at

Comment

I have checked the details for 187 Bishopsgate Street in 1881 and it is listed as uninhabited, so was presumably a commercial premises only.
              I will try and track it down in 1891 and 1901 to see what those years list
              If McCormack's statement that he was 63 at the time of the murder is correct, the only entry any where near this is a John McCormack listed in 1881 living at 10 Wells Yard, Aldgate. This man, listed a s a general dealer, was married and had living with him six grown up children, all being listed as born in Ireland
              Chris
              Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Chris, the NA catalogue lists a BT file of dissolved companies reference to Robert and Henry's company, dated 1897.

Robert's executor was trying to recover money owing to the estate as late as 1894 (The Times).

Comment

Maybe the company survived, because it seems to have existed at Wood St and Fell St after 1897.

Comment

Hi Chris,

187 Bishopsgate I think had gone by 1891 (or around that time) as if I've got my bearings right The Great Eastern Hotel now stands on that site. So if you have trouble finding it in 1891 or 1901 that may be why.

Rob

Comment

Hi Robert and Rob C
                      many thanks for the info which will save me some wasted time!
                      One thing I did read was that Bishopsgate Street was renumbered (I think some time in the 1920s) and what had been 136 Bishopsgate Street beceame the new number 187. It was a pub but I didn't note the name
                      Many thanks again
                      Chris
                      Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-10-2009, 02:18 AM.

Comment

"Black Raven, 136 Bishopsgate Street, Bishopsgate
                        At 136 Bishopsgate Street without in 1856 and up to 1915, before the road was renumbered; At 185 & 187 Bishopsgate Street by 1938; This pub was named the Black Raven until 1975 when it was renamed the Pump. In 1982 it was further renamed the Handpump. The pub was closed and demolished in 1987. This photo shows the pub as it was in 1986, shortly before demolition"

Comment

Chris and Rob

Get your heads round this lot.

May 9th 1890
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X