X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond The Toward: A History of East London (2011) Dr. John Marriott

From Amazon.com

Product Description
    From Jewish clothing merchants to Bangladeshi curry houses, ancient docks to the 2012 Olympics, the area east of the City has always played a crucial role in London's history. The East End, as it has been known, was the home to Shakespeare's first theater and to the early stirrings of a mass labor movement; it has also traditionally been seen as a place of darkness and despair, where Jack the Ripper committed his gruesome murders, and cholera and poverty stalked the Victorian streets.

In this beautifully illustrated history of this iconic district, John Marriott draws on twenty-five years of research into the subject to present an authoritative and endlessly fascinating account. With the aid of copious maps, archive prints and photographs, and the words of East Londoners from seventeenth-century silk weavers to Cockneys during the Blitz, he explores the relationship between the East End and the rest of London, and challenges many of the myths that surround the area.

About the Author
    John Marriott is professor in history at the Raphael Samuel History Centre, University of East London, and author of The Culture of Labourism: The East End between the Wars (1991) and The Other Empire: Metropolis, India and Progress in the Colonial Imagination (2003).

Product Details
    Hardcover: 384 pages
    Publisher: Yale University Press (October 22, 2011)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0300148801
    ISBN-13: 978-0300148800
    Product Dimensions: 9.7 x 6.6 x 1.6 inches

There are no customer reviews yet. Looks good!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    From Amazon.com

Product Description
    From Jewish clothing merchants to Bangladeshi curry houses, ancient docks to the 2012 Olympics, the area east of the City has always played a crucial role in London's history. The East End, as it has been known, was the home to Shakespeare's first theater and to the early stirrings of a mass labor movement; it has also traditionally been seen as a place of darkness and despair, where Jack the Ripper committed his gruesome murders, and cholera and poverty stalked the Victorian streets.

In this beautifully illustrated history of this iconic district, John Marriott draws on twenty-five years of research into the subject to present an authoritative and endlessly fascinating account. With the aid of copious maps, archive prints and photographs, and the words of East Londoners from seventeenth-century silk weavers to Cockneys during the Blitz, he explores the relationship between the East End and the rest of London, and challenges many of the myths that surround the area.

About the Author
    John Marriott is professor in history at the Raphael Samuel History Centre, University of East London, and author of The Culture of Labourism: The East End between the Wars (1991) and The Other Empire: Metropolis, India and Progress in the Colonial Imagination (2003).

Product Details
    Hardcover: 384 pages
    Publisher: Yale University Press (October 22, 2011)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0300148801
    ISBN-13: 978-0300148800
    Product Dimensions: 9.7 x 6.6 x 1.6 inches

There are no customer reviews yet. Looks good!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    It's an excellent book. Top notch. And easy to read.

Comment

Title Typo

Hi Tom and Paul.

The book sounds interesting, but I didn't understand the title 'Beyond the Toward' so I looked it up. I thought it might be some obscure East End phrase I'd never heard, but apparently it was just a typo and the correct title is 'Beyond the Tower'.

Thanks for recommending this book, I added it to my extremely long Amazon Wish List.

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

Oh crap, I don't know why I wrote 'Toward' instead of 'Tower'. This has been happening ever since Stewart compared me to Jeff Leahy. I guess I'm starting to believe my own hype.

Thanks for the recommendation, Paul. I'll definitely be getting it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Oh crap, I don't know why I wrote 'Toward' instead of 'Tower'. This has been happening ever since Stewart compared me to Jeff Leahy.
          Dyslexia is highly contagious.

I might buy the book myself, but first I wanna read it online (cheapskate that I am).
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Working...
          X