The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

Oliver! jokes aside, does it really matter whether he recognised it as a piece of apron at the time or in hindsight? It was a piece of cloth smeared in faeces and blood, one corner of which was still wet; enough in itself to raise suspicion.
    and there lies the rub of the green, out of all the litter and rubbish there may have been laying around on his beat he chooses to "closely" examine this one piece of discarded cloth no doubt screwed up, found under an archway. His explanation is not very convincing in the light of all that is known.

How do we know that Halse didnt plant the apron piece, and how do we know that he didnt meet Long and just happened to say make sure you check under all your archways knowing that he would find the piece. So much of this witness testimony is unsafe from the body being found right through to the inquest testimony, more holes in it than a cullender.

Comment

Oliver! jokes aside, does it really matter whether he recognised it as a piece of apron at the time or in hindsight? It was a piece of cloth smeared in faeces and blood, one corner of which was still wet; enough in itself to raise suspicion.
      I can understand the thought process if the apron piece just contained blood, but with feces as well, putting both together why would that make him believe that a crime had been committed? and in any event the apron piece was only spotted with blood not heavily bloodstained. So his account does not stand up to close scrutiny

Comment

If they'd managed to bring a suspect to trial, they would have had far stronger evidence than the GSG available. (See also previous comments about the difficulties with vertical handwriting.)
        In Swanson's report on the 6th of November he wrote that
        the writing on the wall did not match the handwriting of the notorious
        "Dear Boss" letter
        , which claimed responsibility for the killings and used the signature "Jack the Ripper" (though it is widely thought that the letter was not written by the killer).

Comment

• ^^^

As "Dear Boss" wasn't written in chalk on a vertical surface, it's hardly surprising that it didn't match the GSG. When I write on a flipchart or whiteboard, it bears no resemblance to my normal handwriting.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
            Long, an experienced police officer,would have known the value of leaving evidence where it was found.He could,like Neil did in Bucks Row,signal and wait for help, while at the same time,being in a position to secure the evidence,and the scene.He states he did not know of Eddowes murder,could find no evidence of a victim,or assailant in the building. The writing would have meant nothing to long at that stage,so was a bloodstained piece of material enough to make him rush off to a police station?What was gained by him doing so? One problem I have is in reading what a policeman should have done in the circumstances.Stay and signal for help,or rush off to a police station,as Long did.
            Ok Harry, so you think he didn't know what he was doing. Is there a plot you would like to share with us?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi Jon,

PC Long: "I was on duty in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron."

At 2.55 am, how did PC Long know it was a piece of apron?
              Aprons are commonly made from calico, the material is quite distinct.

"I recall a corner comprised of three points, not necessarily all of equal length."

Who said that?

Regards,

Simon
              I think his name was Leslie, Mr. Leslie my math teacher.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Those are not a proven facts and you know that, stop misleading people !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                Ha!, who said Trevor doesn't have a sense of humor?
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

and there lies the rub of the green, out of all the litter and rubbish there may have been laying around on his beat he chooses to "closely" examine this one piece of discarded cloth no doubt screwed up, found under an archway. His explanation is not very convincing in the light of all that is known.

How do we know that Halse didnt plant the apron piece, and how do we know that he didnt meet Long and just happened to say make sure you check under all your archways knowing that he would find the piece. So much of this witness testimony is unsafe from the body being found right through to the inquest testimony, more holes in it than a cullender.

What did you say about misleading people?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

^^^

As "Dear Boss" wasn't written in chalk on a vertical surface, it's hardly surprising that it didn't match the GSG. When I write on a flipchart or whiteboard, it bears no resemblance to my normal handwriting.
                    Right, because different muscles are used when writing on paper (finger muscles), and writing on a wall (finger & wrist muscles).

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• How do we know that Halse didnt plant the apron piece,
                      Because he had absolutely no reason to.
                      Because there’s no evidence that he did.

Ive never understood this suggestion. It makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi Jon,

PC Long: "I was on duty in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron."

"I recall a corner comprised of three points, not necessarily all of equal length."

Who said that?

Regards,

I don't understand your point here. When Long makes the statement up top isn't he at the inquest (days later) which by then he knew what the garment was? By then he would naturally refer to it as an apron. I guess he could have answered something like, "I found an unknown piece of clothing," but by then (at the inquest) that would be an irrelevant/unnecessary statement to make.

How am I missing your point? Was the statement you quoted at top made days later at the inquest or at the time of discovery?

Comment

• Jon,did I say Long didn't know what he was doing,and what plot are you on about?Aren't you the one that is always quoting rules and regulations?So you tell me what Long should have done. Who's faeces was on the cloth? Do you know?

Comment

Jon,did I say Long didn't know what he was doing,and what plot are you on about?Aren't you the one that is always quoting rules and regulations?So you tell me what Long should have done. Who's faeces was on the cloth? Do you know?
                            There was nothing wrong with the way PC Long handled the situation.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Nothing wrong with leaving a potential crime scene unnatennded?

Comment

Nothing wrong with leaving a potential crime scene unnatennded?
                                INQUEST:
                                [Coroner] When you went away did you leave anybody in charge?
                                [Long] - Yes; the constable on the next beat - 190, H Division - but I do not know his name.

[Coroner] Did you give him instructions as to what he was to do?
                                [Long] - I told him to keep observation on the dwelling house, and see if any one entered or left

Comment

Working...
                                X