Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    johns presented a series of conjectures - by no means outlandish ones, but conjecture nonetheless. The best we can say is that, if these conjectures are correct, they would support the idea that Bury might have been the Ripper.
    As usual you continue to understate the case against Bury.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
      As usual you continue to understate the case against Bury.
      I don't understate it. I'm seeing the murder for what it is: A ligature, some stabs and four inch abdominal cut with bulging bowels, the latter possibly only because Ellen was folded up and stuffed into a box. That's not a Ripper murder; it's not even a variation on a Ripper murder.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Knowing that he arrived in London in 1887 and left in spring 1889, I'd be more impressed if we'd seen at least one Ripper-like murder in 1887, or during the first half of 1888 at least. I'd be even more impressed if we'd another Whitechapel mutilation murder after Mary Kelly before Bury's departure, but we don't.
        And this is entirely your subjective interpretation of the killer's behaviour. Where in the rulebook does it state that Bury must have killed in 1887 or again in 1888? We can't say what the killer should or shouldn't have done, for the simple reason that he was never caught in the first place. Maybe the killer's behaviour would surprise us?

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Murders of strangers on the streets are rare; domestic murders, however, are sadly more common. Ellen Bury's murder belonged in the latter category, whether WHB was the Ripper or not.
        But domestic murders are not mutually exclusive with serial killings. Serial killers have murdered spouses/partners before.

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        He throttled Ellen with a rope, and inflicted a few modest (by JTR standards) cuts to her belly. The cuts seem to me less indicative of a paraphilia than of an afterthought.
        Dr. Templeman said “the wounds to the abdomen must have been inflicted either during life or at most ten minutes after death". That doesn't prove it was a paraphilia of his, but it's noteworthy that Bury's first reaction was to mutilate the abdomen.

Comment

I don't understate it. I'm seeing the murder for what it is: A ligature, some stabs and four inch abdominal cut with bulging bowels, the latter possibly only because Ellen was folded up and stuffed into a box. That's not a Ripper murder; it's not even a variation on a Ripper murder.
          Sam
          Cmon. be alittle more open minded. It very well may be a ripper murder.

Here we have a suspect that was in the area at the time.
          his coming to and leaving from London match up with at least the c5.
          he was known to be abusive to women
          frequented prostitutes
          yes Ellen was killed a little differently(but she was his wife killed in his house) but theres post mortem mutilation to the abdomen.
          Knife used
          not ruled out by witness descriptions.
          Most importantly-he was a person of interest at the time.

hes got to be in the short list as most viable candidates.
          Last edited by Abby Normal; 09-05-2017, 12:35 PM.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            I would put Bury in a league of his own.

Find me another named suspect who ticks all those boxes. There isn't one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              And this is entirely your subjective interpretation of the killer's behaviour. Where in the rulebook does it state that Bury must have killed in 1887 or again in 1888?
              All I said is that I'd be more impressed if he had. Nothing subjective about that statement.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Dr. Templeman said “the wounds to the abdomen must have been inflicted either during life or at most ten minutes after death". That doesn't prove it was a paraphilia of his, but it's noteworthy that Bury's first reaction was to mutilate the abdomen.
                Was it his first reaction? Or was it an afterthought? Besides, there's attacking the abdomen... and then there's Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Here we have a suspect that was in the area at the time.
                  Along with a couple of tens of thousands of others yet to be named, among whom may well have been the Ripper.
                  Of the "known knowns", yes - as I've often said - but there's not much competition, and the case against him really isn't that strong. Bear in mind that I don't consider Tabram or Stride as definite Ripper murders, and I have some reservations over Kelly, so my qualifying criteria are pretty stringent.
                  Last edited by Sam Flynn; 09-05-2017, 01:14 PM.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

But domestic murders are not mutually exclusive with serial killings. Serial killers have murdered spouses/partners before.
                    Oh, indeed, but I allowed for that possibility: "Ellen Bury's murder belonged in the [domestic] category, whether WHB was the Ripper or not."

However, all we have is evidence that Bury was a wife-killer, a comparatively common species of murderer. We don't have any evidence that he killed strangers.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Along with a couple of tens of thousands of others yet to be named, among whom may well have been the Ripper.
                      Of the "known knowns", yes - as I've often said - but there's not much competition, and the case against him really isn't that strong. Bear in mind that I don't consider Tabram or Stride as definite Ripper murders, and I have some reservations over Kelly, so my qualifying criteria are pretty stringent.
                      yes agreed, as Ive often said-all the suspects are weak, some just less weak than others!

Ive got tabram, c5 and McKenzie as ripper victims, and my main beef with Bury is Mckenzie obviously, since he couldn't have been her killer.
                      If it wasn't for McKenzie, Id have him higher on my list.

Just out of curiosity, Sam, who is your favored ripper suspect/s??

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Hello Abby
                        Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, Sam, who is your favored ripper suspect/s??
                        He hasn't yet been named, in my view.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hello Abby
                          He hasn't yet been named, in my view.
                          blotchy then?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

blotchy then?
                            I won't get drawn into that on a Bury thread, Abs
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I won't get drawn into that on a Bury thread, Abs
                              dam!!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Garbage. Yes you do and in a pompous manner.

Comment

Working...
                                X