Baltimore conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
    Some of us have fought long and hard to get that song changed to "Four Whores" aka "Baltimore Whores". "Maryland, My Maryland" is a horrible song and not nearly as fitting for the state (Damn you, 1939 state's general assembly.)
    I've been wondering about that for years now. Virginia kept "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" but purposely changed the lyrics because they are so comforting to ex-slave holders in the image of the unseen singer (pining for "old massy"). "Maryland" has a decent song to it - it's "Old Tanenbaum" after all. But it is the only state anthem (I can think of) which celebrates a pro-slavery mob being shot at when it attacked troops going to support the Union cause. Imagine if, instead of "The Sidewalks of New York", my state's anthem celebrated the anti-British "Astor Place Riots" of 1849, or the "Draft Rioters" of 1863. The only other state anthem controversy I heard of was in California, and it really was a controversy about a city's anthem: San Francisco. For years they had adopted (especially after Tony Bennett made his singing version popular) "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". But about ten or twelve years ago they changed it (claiming it was too much of a downer) to the old theme-song (sung by Jeanette MacDonald) "San Francisco", because it was so up-beat. Hell, that tune was sung in a movie that climaxed in the 1906 earthquake! What next: the British merchant marine adopting "Nearer My God to Thee" or "Autumn" or "Song d"Autun" or all three for their anthem??!!

Jeff

Comment

Actually the Baltimore Riot was more complex than that. Most of them weren't pro South, they were antiwar. That they were complicit in the first blood spilled in the war is one of history's wonderful quirks. There were, of course, some Southern supporters there but most of the state at that point wanted nothing to do with it. Later it would get far more complex and is now too often simplified to a depressing degree.
      They haven't bothered changing the song because until recently no one even knew the words. Schools didn't teach it to kids, its not played at any state events. It's just not used. Seriously, besides a scene in Gone with the Wind, the most anyone knew of it was half of a single verse that's occasionally sung at baseball games.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Interesting all the talk of State songs we just don't have them here.

Flora and Fauna Emblem, and nucknames for each state that's about it.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
          Actually the Baltimore Riot was more complex than that. Most of them weren't pro South, they were antiwar. That they were complicit in the first blood spilled in the war is one of history's wonderful quirks. There were, of course, some Southern supporters there but most of the state at that point wanted nothing to do with it. Later it would get far more complex and is now too often simplified to a depressing degree.
          They haven't bothered changing the song because until recently no one even knew the words. Schools didn't teach it to kids, its not played at any state events. It's just not used. Seriously, besides a scene in Gone with the Wind, the most anyone knew of it was half of a single verse that's occasionally sung at baseball games.
          I actually have the complete words to the poem which are the verses that are to be sung to the song (it's like the poem "The Star Spangled Banner", which becomes the words of the late adopted national anthem - to the melody of "To Anacreon in Heaven", an 18th Century British club's drinking song of all things). But then "My Country 'Tis of Thee" uses the British National Anthem "God Save the Queen/King". The verses of "Maryland" refer to many of the victims (i.e., the members of the rioters) who were slain - and few recall them today. It is not like recalling Crispus Attucks, the first African-American to die for freedom in the era of the American Revolution, as being among the five slain at the "Boston Massacre" - these 1861 victims were notable in Baltimore in 1861, and that's it.

I should add that not all the stanzas of the National Anthem are sung, nor of "My Country "Tis of Thee", nor of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (how many people recall the last stanza referring to Christ: "In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea...."; probably they refrain from singing it due to religious considerations in a country that is supposed to be religiously neutral - unfortunately it destroys one of the best final verses of a U.S. patriotic song ever written).

I have absolutely no idea of the official anthem for New Zealand - I just wonder if the Maoris have a separate one.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            I actually have the complete words to the poem which are the verses that are to be sung to the song (it's like the poem "The Star Spangled Banner", which becomes the words of the late adopted national anthem - to the melody of "To Anacreon in Heaven", an 18th Century British club's drinking song of all things). But then "My Country 'Tis of Thee" uses the British National Anthem "God Save the Queen/King". The verses of "Maryland" refer to many of the victims (i.e., the members of the rioters) who were slain - and few recall them today. It is not like recalling Crispus Attucks, the first African-American to die for freedom in the era of the American Revolution, as being among the five slain at the "Boston Massacre" - these 1861 victims were notable in Baltimore in 1861, and that's it.

I should add that not all the stanzas of the National Anthem are sung, nor of "My Country "Tis of Thee", nor of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (how many people recall the last stanza referring to Christ: "In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea...."; probably they refrain from singing it due to religious considerations in a country that is supposed to be religiously neutral - unfortunately it destroys one of the best final verses of a U.S. patriotic song ever written).

I have absolutely no idea of the official anthem for New Zealand - I just wonder if the Maoris have a separate one.

Jeff

New Zealand's is God Defend New Zealand
            Last edited by GUT; 02-20-2016, 12:56 AM.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              New Zealand's is God Defend New Zealand
              Normally sung in Maroi and the English.
              Like when Aus is about to beat them in Cricket or Rugby League, or Netball even, but probably not in Union.
              Last edited by GUT; 02-20-2016, 12:56 AM.
              G U T

Comment

Jeff
                Still better than Rocky Top.

Which references a woman who is "Half bar (bear, but oh no, it's pronounced bar. Spelled that way too.) other half cat, wild as a minx but sweet a soda pop, I still dream about that"

Just kill me. Really. What a redneck anthem, with no mention of any kind of state pride or positive traits. Except the lack of smog. That rates a mention. In our state song.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Colorado has TWO state songs (cause we're old enough to need them, apparently "Where the Columbines Grow" by A. J. Flynn, adopted 1915, lyrics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Columbines_Grow

And, of course, "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver, adopted 2007, lyrics here: http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/symbo...-mountain-high

I like Denver's stuff, so I'm cool with it.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                    Still better than Rocky Top.

Which references a woman who is "Half bar (bear, but oh no, it's pronounced bar. Spelled that way too.) other half cat, wild as a minx but sweet a soda pop, I still dream about that"

Just kill me. Really. What a redneck anthem, with no mention of any kind of state pride or positive traits. Except the lack of smog. That rates a mention. In our state song.
                    Yes, but that's only State Song #5, out of 10 total! Song writers sure like using Tennessee in their lyrics!
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Connecticut's was "Boolah, Boolah", because it was sung at Yale. Edwin Newman (in his book, "Strickly Speaking" about Americans and the misuse of the English Language) was upset that the words of this cheerful, meaningless tune would be shelved (in the 1960s) for some pompous verses about Connecticut.

I'm pretty sure that "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You" is their state anthem, but (after all) the old Confederate tune, "The Yellow Rose of Texas" is better known to the public in general. California's again I believe, is "California, Here I Come".

Jeff

Comment

Texas is "Texas, Our Texas". There have been attempts to change it to "The Eyes of Texas" but Aggies fans would riot.
                        Last edited by Shaggyrand; 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM.
                        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Connecticut's was "Boolah, Boolah", because it was sung at Yale. Edwin Newman (in his book, "Strickly Speaking" about Americans and the misuse of the English Language) was upset that the words of this cheerful, meaningless tune would be shelved (in the 1960s) for some pompous verses about Connecticut. F

I'm pretty sure that "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You" is their state anthem, but (after all) the old Confederate tune, "The Yellow Rose of Texas" is better known to the public in general. California's again I believe, is "California, Here I Come".

Jeff
                          I spent some time today looking up state songs at a site called State Symbols USA. I did not see a state song for California, but they do have a type of "state music": Western Swing. (I was born and grew up in California, and never heard of this!)
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

Don't feel bad...I'm a New Yorker (state not city) and our state "dance" is the square dance.....seriously...square dancing....in NY!!!.

I remember once I was talking to a Canadian friend of mine about the differences in our countries and attitudes even thought we were so close...( It takes me 15 minutes to get to Canada from where I live) and how even our national anthems show the difference....The Star Spangled Banner is an anthem of war..where Oh Canada is an anthem of peace...I suggested we update our anthems....a good way would be to use our countries folk singer/songwriters....I suggested for America we use Jim Croce's "You don't mess around with Jim" and Canada should use Gordon Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway"..

But as much as I love this conversation, back to the topic....anyone else coming to Baltimore???? I'd really like to meet some of you folks

Steadmund Brand
                            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              Don't feel bad...I'm a New Yorker (state not city) and our state "dance" is the square dance.....seriously...square dancing....in NY!!!.

I remember once I was talking to a Canadian friend of mine about the differences in our countries and attitudes even thought we were so close...( It takes me 15 minutes to get to Canada from where I live) and how even our national anthems show the difference....The Star Spangled Banner is an anthem of war..where Oh Canada is an anthem of peace...I suggested we update our anthems....a good way would be to use our countries folk singer/songwriters....I suggested for America we use Jim Croce's "You don't mess around with Jim" and Canada should use Gordon Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway"..

But as much as I love this conversation, back to the topic....anyone else coming to Baltimore???? I'd really like to meet some of you folks

Steadmund Brand
                              But if USA adopts "Jim" as their anthem, what happens if they go to war with Slim?
                              G U T

Comment

Just so long as anything by Slim Whitman isn't played

Steadmund Brand
                                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X