Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller's court privy's.

Hello there.

I was under the impression that the privies of Miller's Court were at the far end of it, on the left, by Mary Ann Cox room.

Looking through the archives, I found another map stating that they were opposite MJK's room, right below Mr & Mrs Picket window.

Anybody knows which one is the right one?

Thank you.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Also, if by any chance, someone knew which rooms were unoccupied at the time of the murder, I would greatly appreciate it.

Specifically, #9 and #11.

Thanks.
    (the archives are a bit confusing about this)
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	millers court t#12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	666565

Click image for larger version

Name:	Millers_court_Tully.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	666566

These are the maps I have
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I believe I read over at the JTRF that there was a major renovation of Millers Court in the 1890's. The privies were indeed originally at the far end of the Court but were moved, as apparently the pump was also, and they ended up opposite what had been Mary Kelly's room. I have to say, smell-wise the further away the better one would think!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
          I believe I read over at the JTRF that there was a major renovation of Millers Court in the 1890's. The privies were indeed originally at the far end of the Court but were moved, as apparently the pump was also, and they ended up opposite what had been Mary Kelly's room. I have to say, smell-wise the further away the better one would think!
          Yep I've been trying to find where I rea the same info, that they were relocated.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I too believe the toilets were at the far end in 1888. The goad insurance map has them there.

And I think opposite Mary's room against no.11 were rubbish bins, which may have been later turned into the toilets shown on one of your plans.

Not sure if the houses without names were unoccupied or we just don't know the name of whoever did live in them.

Comment

According to the late lamented Chris Scott, who provided the link below, on Feb 9th 1889 a Henry Hemslow, aged 40 of 11 Millers Court, a married porter, was admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary. Cause: Debility. The poor fellow was released from there on 18th Feb.

Whether Henry and wife were residing at No. 11 the previous November however, is anybody's guess. The Court had a high turnover of clientele. The Hemslows were gone by the 1891 Census as a 19 year old rope makers assistant called Mary Griffin was living there alone then.

Sorry, but I've never read any info on who was at no. 9 Millers Court at the time of the Ripper murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                I too believe the toilets were at the far end in 1888. The goad insurance map has them there.

And I think opposite Mary's room against no.11 were rubbish bins, which may have been later turned into the toilets shown on one of your plans.

Not sure if the houses without names were unoccupied or we just don't know the name of whoever did live in them.
                But the goad map, is I think, 10 years pre the murder.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  But the goad map, is I think, 10 years pre the murder.
                  That one is from 1890, actually Gut.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    That one is from 1890, actually Gut.
                    Are you sure, I was going off the date at the end of the address 1878.html?
                    G U T

Comment

Oops, posted the wrong link! That one is for the essay that mentions the bins.

This one should be the goad map;

Georeferencer is an online tool that assigns geographical location to any image.

Comment

I'm still trying to search on both forums for info on when those pesky privies were relocated but it awoke memories of longtime lurking by me before I joined. There was a long chat on one thread about the pump and toilets being moved, I know that!

There has also been talk of the renumbering of rooms in the cCourt that apparently happened at about the same time in which 20 became no. 19 and vice versa!

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          I'm still trying to search on both forums for info on when those pesky privies were relocated but it awoke memories of longtime lurking by me before I joined. There was a long chat on one thread about the pump and toilets being moved, I know that!

There has also been talk of the renumbering of rooms in the cCourt that apparently happened at about the same time in which 20 became no. 19 and vice versa!

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-5254.html
                          Agree a loooooong thread about them being moved.
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Are you sure, I was going off the date at the end of the address 1878.html?
                            Goad didn't start mapping the UK until 1885, I think. So I assume the date in the link address is just wrong, an error when it was originally posted.
                            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Working...
                            X