Philip Davies Dorset Street Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Davies Dorset Street Photo

So yesterday i finally picked up a copy of Philip Davies Images of Lost London 1875-1945 for really cheap!

Flicking through it i was looking for photos of the East End when i found this photo. Sorry it's not very clear, had to take a photo as have no scanner!!

This is the description with it:

The Old Blue Last public house, Dorset Street, 3 November 1904

An early Georgian façade and later ground floor frontage with applied lettering to the windows advertising popular brands of spirits.

I've never seen this photo before. Is it really of Dorset Street? Is it mistaken identity or another Dorset Street?

Hi avvie,

From the information in the photograph, I believe this is showing Dorset Street in the City of London, near Fleet Street.

The 1891 census, and directories from the period, show a builder called Samuel Morby situated next door to a pub called the Blue Last in this Dorset Street, which is what we see in the photo.

Comment

looks like a very interesting book
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

There was (and I believe still is) an Old Blue Last pub, but that is in Great Eastern St.

Comment

Thankyou, didn't think it would be THE Dorset Street. A shame though, would have been great having a new photo of the street!

It is a fantastic book. Price is near £30 on Amazon for brand new. Got it for £5.99 in W.H Smiths!

Avvie

Comment

Working...
          X