Christmas Songs & Carols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Songs & Carols

I know it's not fashionable to mention the real Christmas message but for me there is a real spiritual dimension to this festive period.

I recall cosy Christmases at home as a child many, many years ago now when we had little but were nevertheless richly blessed in many ways.

This song is always seemed to be playing back then and I absolutely loved it:

From 1960's Goodyear album "The Great Songs of Christmas" volume 6.

An odd couple indeed but a beautiful rendition:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Epic, truly a wonderful version.
      Cantique De Noel-Mannheim Steamroller

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
      Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Olentzero.

Hi everyone, I bet you haven't heard of "Olentzero", he is a Basque sort of farther Christmas. In Basque mythology he was a coalman who made charcoal and on Christmas day he would come down to the village from the mountain's to sell coal and give present's to the children, all the best, Agur.

niko

Comment

Thank you Sleekviper and Niko for sharing your beautiful and diverse Christmas songs and stories.

Here is another favourite of mine:

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
            I know it's not fashionable to mention the real Christmas message but for me there is a real spiritual dimension to this festive period.

I recall cosy Christmases at home as a child many, many years ago now when we had little but were nevertheless richly blessed in many ways.

This song is always seemed to be playing back then and I absolutely loved it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0P9zb3a3k
            I remember this, Julie. It was ubiquitous. It can put you in the mood for Christmas, can't it? Have a good one, you and your family.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours Celesta and to all my casebook friends.

Julie

Comment

Stop slaving in the kitchen, pour yourself a drink and get dancing!

Comment

To All on Casebook,Have a great holiday-Happy Christmas and All the Best for New Year!xx

Comment

Great Thread!

I think Silent Night in any version draws a tear and time for reflection. Most of the people who shared my childhood memories of Christmas have already passed on, but there are new ones to bounce on you're knee that gives you the reassurance that you are passing on a great tradition.

It is the one holiday that does offer 'peace and goodwill' in the way its truly meant to be... and lasting memories cherished by us all.

Merry Christmas everyone
                    Best Wishes,
                    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

"Amazing Grace" and "Last Christmas" (the Wham! one) are both pretty good.....heard one this week that I didn't know of before called "Mary, did you know?" which was very good as well.

Cheers,
                      Adam.

Comment

One rendition of “Silent Night“ that invariably makes people stop, listen, and emote is the one by Mahalia Jackson. I played it a couple times with everything but the Xmas lights out shorty before getting to the table to eat around midnight the other day at my Xmas Eve dinner party and everybody went WOW. Plus, another girl and me were singing backstage, low harmonies but an octave higher (contrasting to Mahalia's very deep voice) during the refrain.

Of course, before that we performed almost the entire Handel's Messiah (the Xmas related part anyway) with 8 voices, someone playing on my keyboards (turned into strings mode) and a friend had his trumpet along for the trumpet soli (esp. for the bass aria “The trumpet shall sound“.) :-)

The hilarious incident during the party happened when I started playing a really cool vintage Xmas record (inherited by my parents from the 1960s) on my old vintage record player and it turned out that said record player is kaput. It totally cracked us up that “Adeste Fideles“ by the Vienna Opera chorus sounded like a satanic mass.

There was also some dancing going on to jazzy, danceable Xmas music (Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, a jazzy version of “Rudoplh“, some Reggae), but the real hit happened when I played Pearl Jam's “Faithful“. The house ROCKED.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Today is when three french hens are to be given.

Like us on Facebook! http://on.fb.me/TheMoscowBoysChoirThe Moscow Boys Choir sings 12 Days of Christmas live at Kidd Key Auditorium in Texas.The Moscow Boys ...

Comment

There is nothing like Nicolas Saboly Christmas songs in Provençal.

Comment

Working...
                            X