The 'new' Ten Bells, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    Breaking news. The sign is now plain BLACK. More info and hopefully pics to follow later

Comment

On the subject, do any photos exist of the pub when it was actually re-named "Jack The Ripper"? Ive never seen any.
      I think it was kinda ridiculous anyway - people want to see it as it was, not it turned into some theme-ride.....but would still be interested in seeing any photos at that time.

Anyway, Im up there tomorrow, also want to visit William Blakes grave up the road.

Comment

I was in there last night (Saturday) - and got out again as quickly as possible. The new layout seems designed to minimise the amount of space available to customers, and the atmosphere was absolutely hideous. I saw no Ripper-related decor anywhere, which is fine by me.

Does anyone else remember the old days when they had strippers performing at lunchtimes? I once had the pleasure of taking two American academics on an unofficial Ripper tour and ushered them into the Ten Bells only to be confronted by a small platform on which a naked lady was undulating on all fours, bare backside towards the door, as it happened. I turned to apologise to my guests and usher them back out, but they had already seen what was going on, and couldn't push their way past me and into the place quick enough. They seemed to enjoy their pints greatly. Honestly, academics are freaks!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
          On the subject, do any photos exist of the pub when it was actually re-named "Jack The Ripper"? Ive never seen any.
          I think it was kinda ridiculous anyway - people want to see it as it was, not it turned into some theme-ride.....but would still be interested in seeing any photos at that time.
          Adam,

Your wish is my command...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	10Bells.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	661217

Comment

Just went in for a pint of Leffe a few hours ago - the place was packed!! But shot a few bits of video for you all - as you can see the bar is now in the middle of the floor, there are new doors by the "Spitalfields" tiled walls but they were shut, the halls down to the toilets are still graffitied to hell but the toilets themselves have been re-done (although still not finished) - currently just painted pink and already have graffiti over them.....the only hand basin is out in the corridor along with a sign thanking you for your patience whilst renevations continue.
            It was nice for me anyway as Id never been there in the dark, only ever in the day the 10 or so times Ive been.
            Here is a video I took:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jaysus, whats with you Londoners and your graffiti?

Out of all the dingiest pubs in Belfast, I have never seen graffiti covering the walls like that before. And on the ceiling?

Can't wait to have my first pint in there in Feburary though. Can't wait.

Comment

I wonder if amongst all that graffiti is the message

" The Jews are not the men who will be blamed for nothing "

it would be a nice touch.

Comment

While I'm glad the Ten Bells has been given a new paint job, I'm not to keen on the colour they used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Ten Bells.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	661241

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                    While I'm glad the Ten Bells has been given a new paint job, I'm not to keen on the colour they used.

Rob
                    Please tell me that's just an undercoat! It needs to be pure white. Nothing more, nothing less...

Andrew

Comment

Very gastric.

Comment

Maybe it should have been painted in the style of the Urban Bar...

Comment

It might look a bit better when the sun is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                            Please tell me that's just an undercoat! It needs to be pure white. Nothing more, nothing less...

Andrew
                            I don't think so, as you can see all the scaffolding has been removed. I was mentioning to John Bennett yesterday about the original (at least around 1900) colour of The Ten Bells. In the c1905 photograph the building doesn't look like it is white but a dark colour.

Rob

Comment

Ah well, white or not it certainly bloody needed it haha!

Just hope Leffe doesnt go up to £6 to pay for it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post

[ATTACH]10706[/ATTACH]

Rob
                                I like it. Its an atmospheric colour I think.
                                In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Working...
                                X