No announcement yet.

R.I.P Christpher Hitchens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For much of his earlier, adult life Hitch' was a Marxist-Trotskyite.

Then from the late 90's onwards, compounded by the shock of 9/11, Hitchens enthusiastically and unapologetically supported the Far Right, regarding Afghanistan and Gulf War II.

I think his extremes were completely mistaken in both directions, but he was always an interesting and entertaining polemicist, in print and in person.

Along with so many, I will miss all the future amusing, iconoclastic Hitchens' columns which are now never to be written (an even bigger literary giant and leftist polemicist, Gore Vidal, is sadly about to depart this mortal coil too!).

Hitch's lack of moral and rational weakening, as the grave yawned before him, towards the systemic evil of organized religion is an admirable, even inspiring exit and legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
      For much of his earlier, adult life Hitch' was a Marxist-Trotskyite.Then from the late 90's onwards, compounded by the shock of 9/11, Hitchens enthusiastically and unapologetically supported the Far Right, regarding Afghanistan and Gulf War II.
      I'm glad you're not exaggerating. The guy was simply an intelligent and independent thinker.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
        Hello, kensei,

Might I ask why you are "a strong believer in an afterlife"? It can't be because of evidence since there is none so is it not just wishful thinking?

Best wishes,
        Steve.
        I would concur that there is no PROOF, but proof and evidence are two completely different things and I totally disagree that there is no evidence. Parapsychology and the study of ghosts, out of body experiences, etc. provides a ton of it. All of it in dispute, of course. Such cases, combined with personal spiritual faith, are why I'm a strong believer.

Comment

I think one has to be careful with the idea of Mr Hitchens having no cancer in the afterlife, for if it is further asserted that, say, Mr Hitchens has no "sin" or worries or anxieties or fear of a second "death," indeed that Mr Hitchens has no spatial or temporal orientation at all, then the question is : is this Mr Hitchens, or another person?

Whether there is proof of an afterlife, I cannot say. There may have been proof for some people. There could be proof for me. For instance, if a deceased relative appeared to me on several occasions, and spoke to me, and, say, gave me winning lottery numbers or predicted the results of football matches, and told me things that only I knew, and if this was done without the presence of a medium, in the privacy of my own home, so that there could be no tricks, and if I was not on medication at the time, or otherwise ill, then I might be justified in concluding that this person had survived death and had communicated with me. I would not expect anyone else to believe me, but remember, knowledge is for the individual. Knowledge for the group is just the sum total of the knowledge of individuals.

Comment

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3 V16

It's simply a matter of faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi All,

He sure ain't in heaven, and he sure ain't in hell.

But he is surely missed.

Regards,

Simon
              Disagree.

I'm sure he's missed among his family and friends, and those who agreed with him.

Personally, I winced every time he spoke. Pompous, egotistical and with the backbone of a small squirrel; or even Winston Churchill.

Thought he was taken apart by George Galloway in that debate.

Not a fan of the left; even less of a fan of 'neo-con' left wing deserters.

And, he was as boring as Dawkins with his god fascination. Dawkins and he, of course, were fighting a fight that had long since been extinguished in England. Nothing worse than people shouting for the sake of shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                Ive been on youtube for the past hour watching clips of Hitchens. He was an intellectual street fighter of immense talent.
                Was he bollocks.

How on earth do these types acquire such a reputation?

Seen more interesting hedgehogs.

Galloway made him look an amateur, which of course he was.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  I have no doubt that he would have been thoroughly amused by some of the comments that came from good "Christians" who are hoping that he is in hell. What better way to prove his point?

Even if there is a hell (and it's a big if), it is hard to believe that God would send you there for the mere act of disbelief and actually attempting to use the brain that He gave you. I would think it would be reserved for people who intentionally do evil in this world.

Someone suggested a new phrase to be added to the lexicon -- when you have been completely bested in an argument, you have been "Hitch Slapped."

c.d.
                  CD, I'm not a christian. Largely don'tcareist; loosely agnsotic.

I would, however, infinitely rather listen to a christian than Hitchens and that crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                    I'm glad you're not exaggerating. The guy was simply an intelligent and independent thinker.
                    Indepedent thinker?

Ha!

American neo-cons original thinkers eh?

I suppose in a world such as ours where people are reduced to buying and selling things for money they don't have or money they don't need, then yeah he's 'eccentric' by comparison.

Neitzsche was an original thinker; Heidegger was an original thinker; Hitchens was certainly not an original thinker and to be frank it is an insult to the people who made their mark on the world.

Comment

I meant an independent thinker for a journalist. I wouldn't elevate him into a philosopher, FM. :-)
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                        Was he bollocks.

How on earth do these types acquire such a reputation?

Seen more interesting hedgehogs.

Galloway made him look an amateur, which of course he was.
                        Galloway is one of the great demagogues of modern times. IF Hitchens was beaten in their debate (I havent watched it in a long time) then its no mean thing. Galloway doesnt have Hitchens' talent as a writer. Each have their own area of excellence.

Hitchens was infuriating at times. Personally I thought he was overly hostile to all religion( Hitchens raining his thunder against poncey Anglicanism was close too bullying it). This hostility is what made Hitchens so effective though. He was never boring, always adversarial, and not afraid to go against prevailing opinion.

Christopher Hitchens: "im a divider not a uniter"
                        Last edited by jason_c; 12-20-2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The Galloway debate I've missed.
                          Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                          Hitchens was infuriating at times. Personally I thought he was overly hostile to all religion. This hostility is what made Hitchens so effective. He was never boring, always adversarial, and not afraid to go against prevailing opinion.
                          I have no problem whatsoever with any of the above.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Hitchens was equally antagonistic towards all religions. A good thing imo.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

I most remember him for his brutal attack on the merits of JFK or, to him, the lack there of. A few years ago, I wrote him a letter but didn't receive a response. Nothing new there.
                              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X