Things that Annoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
    I've watched rugby on the telly for many years.
    I've given up trying to understand the rules. All I know is there's a massive pile on, sometimes the ref blows his whistle, sometimes he doesn't.
    I do like the discipline in the game . One disgruntled player was told in no uncertain terms by the ref that he only talked to the captain. He skulked off.
    At which point it's obligatory to point out the corresponding behaviour from the baby men who play football. Watching MOTD after an afternoon of six nations is an exercise in riling.

All the best.
    Rugby is a mystery to me but bests football in so many ways.

Firstly, rugby players dont argue with the referee. Never in the history of football has a referee, after being surrounded by four whining babies, said “oh go one then, ill give you a penalty.” And yet these tossers still whine about every decision and show the officials no respect.

Secondly, rugby players dont try and get other players sent off, or to win penalties by diving to the floor like Johnny Weissmuller after a crocodile.

Thirdly, rugby players dont roll around on the ground after every physical contact as if they’d be hit by Sonny Liston. Embarrassingly pathetic. If a rugby player stays down you know that hes injured.

Fourthly, rugby players dont wear gloves to keep their poor little hands warm. They’ll soon come on the pitch in scarves and coats.

Fifth, rugby players can often string a sentence together.

Sixth, rugby fan violence? Err....

We could go on......
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Two things that annoy me, increasingly often heard in coffee-shops or fast food outlets:

"Can I get an espresso?" (Correct response: "You can get an espresso, but would you like to buy one?")

"Small or regular Coke?" (Correct response: "That doesn't compute. Smallness is an aspect of size, but regularity is an aspect of time")
      I agree wholeheartedly with Sam's first point. I'm also becoming increasingly irritated by people answering questions with a superfluous introductory 'so'.

And don't get me started on those who refer to London as The Big Smoke. It's just The Smoke, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        I'm also becoming increasingly irritated by people answering questions with a superfluous introductory 'so'.
        I find that irritating too. That and the widespread use of 'super' as the adverb of choice.
        Last edited by Debra A; 04-28-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
          I find that irritating too. That and the widespread use of 'super' as the adverb of choice.
          And of course 'I'm like... And he's like...' for 'I said... And then he said...'

Comment

"Should of...", "Could of...", "Must of...", "Would of..." etc.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Not to mention 'fed up of.'

One piece of internet baby talk that's very popular at the moment is 'calling someone out.' People no longer criticise one another - they call someone out. My mind visualises a wild west saloon, and a gunfight outside in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                I agree wholeheartedly with Sam's first point. I'm also becoming increasingly irritated by people answering questions with a superfluous introductory 'so'.

And don't get me started on those who refer to London as The Big Smoke. It's just The Smoke, surely?
                Thank god for that. Its not just me. Where has this come from?

Quiz show host : “tell us what you do for a living Carol.”

Carol : “ so i work for an IT company.....”

Quiz show host : “does IT stand for Irritating T**t?”

As for The Big Smoke, couldnt agree more. It also pisses me off when TV announcer constantly, endlessly and annoying persist in referring to Coronation Street (which i hate) as The Cobbles!
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-28-2018, 07:34 AM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                  Yes thats hateful too Debra.

Also why is the word ‘really’ never used on its own?

Everything is “really, really great.”

Or “really, really funny.”

I wish they’d “really, really piss off.”
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Something i noticed in the series Elementary but i dont know how widespread it is. Ive heard it in other situations.

To ask for help has become ‘reaching out.’

“I reached out to Chicago Police to see if they had.....”
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

'Reaching out' sounds like herd talk - all hugs and cuddles - like 'I'm here for you.' Bleat, Watson. Unmitigated bleat.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Not to mention 'fed up of.'

One piece of internet baby talk that's very popular at the moment is 'calling someone out.' People no longer criticise one another - they call someone out. My mind visualises a wild west saloon, and a gunfight outside in the street.
                        Not to be confused with 'calling a woman's name out', which is an old expression apparently meaning to impugn her morals. A woman who took that particular liberty with Biddy the Chiver was rewarded by having her head smashed against a wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          It also pisses me off when TV announcer constantly, endlessly and annoying persist in referring to Coronation Street (which i hate) as The Cobbles!
                          I always thought cobbles were rounded stones packed down into cement. What I see in Coronation Street are what I call setts, squared granite pieces laid on top of concrete or mortar feed and then pointed.

Comment

I love cookery progs on the box, but what really pisses me off is the way the camera stays on the face of whoever is doing the cooking, so we are unable to properly see precisely what's happening on the stove! The worst in this respect is Saturday Kitchen. The much-missed Keith Floyd always ordered the cameraman - usually a bloke called Bruce - to focus on the food and not on his face.

Graham
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Similarly if there’s a band playing on stage and the camera is swooping around like Douglas Bader in a dogfight! Why cant they just point it, face on, at the band. Who wants to watch the audience?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                Similarly if there’s a band playing on stage and the camera is swooping around like Douglas Bader in a dogfight! Why cant they just point it, face on, at the band. Who wants to watch the audience?
                                You're right there, HS. Saw hardly anything of Chrissie Hynde when The Pretenders were on stage at last year's Glastonbury.

Graham
                                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                                X