No announcement yet.

Letters: Authentic or Hoaxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on though, that 10 Nov letter is nonsense, because before the sender says: THOSE OTHER LETTERS WERE NOT WRITTEN BY ME AT ALL, he says: WELL YOU SEE I'VE KEPT MY WORD, AND DONE FOR THE ONE I SAID I WOULD. I SUPPOSE YOU TOOK NO NOTICE OF WHAT I SAID.

Well call me old-fashioned, but how the devil could the recipient have taken heed of this clown's previous warning if he hadn't communicated before?

Love,

Caz
    X

PS And of course: 'LOOK OUT FOR THE NEXT' could mean the next letter from the same source. It's a bit ambiguous given the context.
    Last edited by caz; 09-25-2009, 05:38 PM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Sender

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
      Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the author of "From Hell" chose Lusk to send it to? On its face it seems obvious, given Lusk's position, but that's speaking from my own firmly middle class, "respectable" perspective.

But if the sender was a poor, not too terribly literate immigrant lunatic, how aware would he have been of the gentleman who was head of the Vigilance Committee? Wouldn't it have been off his radar? Or was Lusk a well-known name on the streets at the lowest level? Was the sender of the "lowest level", come to that?
      The letter along with the parcel containing the kidney was delivered to Lusk's house. As head of the Mile End Vigilence Committee, even if the sender wasn't terribly literate, they could have heard of his role just by frequenting teh Crown Pub which served as headquarters for the vigilance committee or heard it through the grapvine. I'm sure then as now that rumor, innuendo and gossip spread like wildfire. I Believe the sender was literate and was trying to disguise the fact with intentional misspellings and puntuation errors in the initial postcard to Lusk and the from hell letter. To what end I don't know but I believe if ANY of the correspondence is genuine, the post car and from Hell letters to lusk are.
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
      X