Why do you think Jack stopped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
    I've always thought septicemia could have brought an end to Jack's little games.
    A nick of the knife that ran through a syphillitic...yes I can see that.

Comment

Hello Beowulf. The good thing about slow, deliberate thought is that it sticks better. Superior to my scattered approach.

"do you not think with a madman on the loose and the town in an uproar that they would listen with just about anyone who had a tale to tell?"

The police? Certainly. They could and did--much to their chagrin as it greatly hampered their work.

A Lord? Under no obligation I should think.

"If a working class family member who was Jewish came forward, in all likelihood she must've had some reason for real, why else would she put herself up for possible interrogations she would not welcome?"

Good point. But there are many cases of this and so most of them were likely spurious. As you say, it was a stressful time and sometimes the imagination gets the better of one.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Had the letter been dated it would have helped immensely.
        Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
        The author is supposed to be nearly related to her,
        I guess we are left to wonder what "nearly related" is supposed to mean.

Question is did this letter refer to and lead to Kosminski being a suspect and finally to his admittance to an asylum?
        We must not forget Kosminski was not suspected at the time of the murders. So if the letter had anything to do with Kosminski's first visit in July 1890 to the Mile End Infirmary then the woman can hardly have been too worried, almost 2 years after the last murder (Kelly).

On the other hand, if Anderson truely thought this was a lead worth pursuing, it would have been taken up by Scotland Yard, which then leaves us wondering why Kosminski was taken to Mile End by his brother and not a detective, or some official, or doctor, and even then, released.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

good points

Hello Jon. All good points. Wish I knew the answer.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Jon. All good points. Wish I knew the answer.

Cheers.
            LC
            Call me brash but, the letter has nothing to do with Kosminski, and Kosminski has nothing to do with the Ripper?

Regards, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

not brash

Hello Jon. Did you say brash or spot on?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Had the letter been dated it would have helped immensely.

I guess we are left to wonder what "nearly related" is supposed to mean.

We must not forget Kosminski was not suspected at the time of the murders. So if the letter had anything to do with Kosminski's first visit in July 1890 to the Mile End Infirmary then the woman can hardly have been too worried, almost 2 years after the last murder (Kelly).

On the other hand, if Anderson truely thought this was a lead worth pursuing, it would have been taken up by Scotland Yard, which then leaves us wondering why Kosminski was taken to Mile End by his brother and not a detective, or some official, or doctor, and even then, released.

Regards, Jon S.
                Yes, 'nearly related' is a crazy statement, even for the 1800s, when they called women's legs 'limbs' because they did not want to get too suggestive...

I think that statement might mean she was married into the family, or perhaps she was a half sister, but what difference does my opinion mean, it cannot reflect a fact, and so it remains ambiguous.

This is the real statement that blows me away, "...if the letter had anything to do with Kosminski's first visit in July 1890 to the Mile End Infirmary then the woman can hardly have been too worried, almost 2 years after the last murder (Kelly)."

Oh, darn. Logic. Makes for a very good point.

As for why was he not taken to Mile End by a brother and not a detective, well, supposedly because it was to diffuse the fuse, so as not to cause an uproar with the rabble.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                  Yes, 'nearly related' is a crazy statement, even for the 1800s, when they called women's legs 'limbs' because they did not want to get too suggestive...

I think that statement might mean she was married into the family, or perhaps she was a half sister, but what difference does my opinion mean, it cannot reflect a fact, and so it remains ambiguous.
                  I took it to mean a near relation (in contrast to a distant relation), such as a brother or a sister.

-Ginger
                  - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                    I took it to mean a near relation (in contrast to a distant relation), such as a brother or a sister.

-Ginger
                    Why didn't I see this? Yes. That would make sense. Just a strange phrasing there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

We must not forget Kosminski was not suspected at the time of the murders.
                      You don't know this. You believe this. You don't know all the people that were brought in for questioning. You don't know that name of the person who was under surveillance. No one knows.

Mike
                      huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                        You don't know this. You believe this. You don't know all the people that were brought in for questioning. You don't know that name of the person who was under surveillance. No one knows.

Mike
                        Ok, Mike, we don't "know", but Jon is quite right on this. Chances are that he wasn't suspected at the time of the murders (C5 I mean).
                        At best, as you said, he might have been brought in for questioning, like hundreds of other guys. Who knows ? So many would have been brought in and cleared within half an hour. This is hardly relevant and doesn't make him a prime suspect watched day and night, nor even a suspect, I believe.
                        Last edited by DVV; 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post

-Ginger
                          Yes, Ginger. 'Nearly related' is just Victorian speak for closely related.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                            Ok, Mike, we don't "know", but Jon is quite right on this. Chances are that he wasn't suspected at the time of the murders (C5 I mean).
                            At best, as you said, he might have been brought in for questioning, like hundreds of other guys. Who knows ? So many would have been brought in and cleared within half an hour. This is hardly relevant and doesn't make him a prime suspect watched day and night, nor even a suspect, I believe.
                            David,

I agree that it isn't probable he was a suspect at the time. But Jon said, 'Suspected' and he said he absolutely wasn't. I don't like absolutes so I called him on it, and I'm sure he'll agree that it was the wrong thing to have said.

Cheers,

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

• All right, Mike, but I guess Jon meant "he wasn't a suspect as later intended by Anderson", and I suspect he was speaking in a "there is no evidence that he was already a suspect" mode, as we all often do.
                              But well, I take your point, it's just that I have some time to kill waiting for my girlfriend.

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                                All right, Mike, but I guess Jon meant "he wasn't a suspect as later intended by Anderson", and I suspect he was speaking in a "there is no evidence that he was already a suspect" mode, as we all often do.
                                Correct Dave, but I admit Mike rightly pulled me up.
                                I was considering that because both Anderson & Swanson had ample opportunity to make reference to Kosminski "being suspected at the time" if it had been true. A fact, no doubt, which would have bolstered Anderson's claim, like I said, "if it had been true".
                                An opportunity Anderson would surely not have let slip by. I mean, he did want people to think he was right, didn't he. So any reference to picking up Kosminski in October or November would have just allowed him to add a subtle "I told you so"-type footnote.

So on that basis I "believe" Kosminski was not suspected.

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X