Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by David Orsam 30 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by David Orsam 37 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by David Orsam 51 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by David Orsam 54 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 54 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 56 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (30 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (17 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - (14 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - (6 posts)
Visual Media: HLN's Unmasking a killer-The Golden State killer - (4 posts)
General Police Discussion: Death From The Frog’s March - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM
Commisioner

Default Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor

I think we might have waited forever for the invoice for Mike Barrett's Amstrad word processor purchase to be produced, so I'm doing it myself (below).

What does it tell us?

Well, it confirms that the purchase of an Amstrad 8256 was made from Dixons in Liverpool on 3 April 1986 with the purchase price being £458.85.

Advertisements at the time tell us that this model was being sold for £399 plus VAT. With VAT at 15% (or £59.85 of £399) this shows us that Mike bought the Amstrad at full price and it was thus a brand new item.

Consequently the claim posted in this forum in August last year (based on information from Mike) that "it was purchased second hand" turns out not to be correct.

The money for the purchase of the word processor supposedly came from Anne's father. Thus, according to Shirley Harrison:

"...Michael had bought himself an Amstrad word processor with money lent by Anne’s father, Billy Graham..."

In this respect, it may be noted that Mike Barrett claimed in in his January 1995 affidavit that Anne's father gave him the £50 which he used to purchase the guardbook.

Why did Mike want to pay £400 for a word processor in 1986? My theory is that it was wanted for his new career as a freelance journalist but it should be noted that, according to Inside Story, the word processor was supposed to have been purchased to enable Mike to type up his research notes relating to the Maybrick Diary. Thus:

"He claims to have bought the word processor second-hand to input the notes, Anne showing him how to use the keyboard and correcting his spelling."

While it clearly isn't true that Mike bought the word processor in 1986 for the purpose of typing up his research notes in 1992, it is curious that he claimed that Anne only showed him how to use the word processor in 1992, some six years after its purchase. Was that true or a lie by Mike? If it was a lie, why did he lie? Why did he need to hide the fact that he could use the word processor?

Did he also deliberately mislead researchers in the early days into thinking it was only bought to type up his research notes? If so, why? For what reason did he want to cover up the fact that he had owned a word processor for years?
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Detective

Hi David. Nice one. Thanks for posting it. Barrett's signature seems remarkably fluent. No sign of uPpeR and LoWEr CaseD leTTers, either. Now, strike me down with a feather, but Barrett couldn't have been codding the dear old boss with his childisH sick NoTes could He?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:05 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Barrett's signature seems remarkably fluent. No sign of uPpeR and LoWEr CaseD leTTers, either. Now, strike me down with a feather, but Barrett couldn't have been codding the dear old boss with his childisH sick NoTes could He?
Yes I suppose he could rj, if he kept it up right from 1992 to 2016, whenever he put biro to paper and let anyone see it.

I agree about the signature, but [and you knew there was one of those coming] I'd expect our Mike to have practised that and been proud of it, in connection with his freelance writing ambitions. He presumably had to sign any typed correspondence, but all his other hAnDwriTTen eFForTs would not have needed to be seen by any magazine editors. Many people just have an illegible squiggle for a signature, which ironically is harder to forge than a neat, legible one like Mike's.

Have you asked yourself why Anne didn't just let Mike write out the diary in his own 'remarkably fluent' but not 'too distinctive' hand? Could it be that 'M. Barrett, M. Barrett, M Barrett, M. Barrett, M. Barrett...' over 63 pages, while looking remarkably fluent, would not have been quite the page turner they were aiming for, even if it kept 'em guessing a while longer before they worked out that the author was meant to be J. Maybrick?

Or did Anne worry that he would lapse somewhere around page 3 and write:

M. Barrett, M. Barrett, LiAr liAR PAnTs oN FiRe...?

Love,

Caz
X

Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Inspector

Simply attempting to help.
That machine was a PC sold with bundled software aimed at word processors,etc.
A second hand one with a color monitor aimed at the gaming market might have been purchased.
Salesperson showing that for the price of the mono monitor model,a more expensive bundle was sold.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Simply attempting to help.
That machine was a PC sold with bundled software aimed at word processors,etc.
A second hand one with a color monitor aimed at the gaming market might have been purchased.
Salesperson showing that for the price of the mono monitor model,a more expensive bundle was sold.
Don't be ridiculous DJA. What you are suggesting wasn't possible. The disk drive of the 8256 was integrated within the monitor. You couldn't just switch monitors. And the 8256 didn't have a colour monitor.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Commisioner

It might be helpful if I re-post the advert for the Amstrad 8256 from 1986:
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
It might be helpful if I re-post the advert for the Amstrad 8256 from 1986:
So someone bought a word processor and immediately (cough cough) produced the thing he'd bought it for. Or waited about six years. All seems to tie together nicely and point towards the inevitable conclusion that Mike and Anne Barrett between them wrote the journal of James Maybrick which to this day cannot be disproven. One off instance excepted, of course, whilst we await the evidence that it was perfectly likely that James Maybrick wrote it or could have indeed written it.

Seriously. Word processors. Ink pots. Pens and pencils. Who cares?

Maybrick was your man.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
So someone bought a word processor and immediately (cough cough) produced the thing he'd bought it for. Or waited about six years. All seems to tie together nicely and point towards the inevitable conclusion that Mike and Anne Barrett between them wrote the journal of James Maybrick which to this day cannot be disproven.
That wasn't the purpose of this thread or of me posting the invoice and I certainly haven't stated that it is an inevitable conclusion as a result of the purchase that Mike and Anne Barrett between them wrote the diary. I was essentially wanting to establish whether or not Mike bought a second hand Amstrad (as had been stated) in order to establish, in turn, what he paid for his word processor. I've set this out at some length in #19 but perhaps you missed it.

Last edited by David Orsam : Yesterday at 02:20 PM.
Old Today, 03:35 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Seriously. Word processors. Ink pots. Pens and pencils. Who cares?
Evidently David does - a lot.

The word processor was bought in 1986, with money either lent or given by Mike's father-in-law. So what? Mike could hardly have submitted his articles to a magazine in his own handwriting, or in Anne's. The idea was to type them up and make them look professional, which Anne could help with. So if Billy Graham lent them the money, as one version goes, he may have been hoping the articles - particularly the celebrity interviews - would bring in enough to pay him back some or all of it.

More to the point, nobody seems to have a fvcking clue where and when the diary ink and pen(s) were obtained, and Mike the liar is David's only source for the guardbook itself coming from an auction. This is what Mike the liar swore to in January 1995:

'I feel sure it was the end of January 1990 when I went to the Auctioneer, Outhwaite & Litherland'.

To pinch an expression used by a charming but completely bonkers girl I was at primary school with: "How could he be sure when he didn't have a sure to be sure with?"

This thread is up sure creek without a paddle - or a forger - just like all the others.

And there was I thinking that "Little Red Diary & The One Off Instance" was the only book on David's bedside table and all he needed to put the diary to bed.

What has been achieved on this thread apart from more confirmation - if anyone needed it - that Michael told such dreadful and pointless lies, it made one gasp and stretch one's eyes?

Love,

Hilarious Bollux
X

Last edited by caz : Today at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Don't be ridiculous DJA. What you are suggesting wasn't possible. The disk drive of the 8256 was integrated within the monitor. You couldn't just switch monitors. And the 8256 didn't have a colour monitor.
You simply removed the module.

That is the point,it wasn't sold with a color monitor.

In fact one could also use a separate module to run a color TV as a monitor.

The earlier CPC646 was supplied with a mono or color monitor. You could not purchase the color monitor separately.

Meh,I actually sold the things.

Apart from Amstrad users groups they were very popular at HMAS Cerberus.

http://www.navy.gov.au/establishments/hmas-cerberus

Again,I was simply attempting to be of assistance.