"I think I know him"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do see your point.

Now show me a picture of the rear of 6 Mitre Street.

Only kidding.

Checkout the door at 9 Mitre Street. Same.

Last edited by DJA; 12-27-2017, 03:29 PM. Reason: 9 Mitre Street
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      I do see your point.

Only kidding.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/50...8f6c67d025.jpg
      Same rounded top at #9, yes. But that door is outside the yard. Goads key shows windows "on all or most floors" for the back of numbers 6,7,8 and 9.

Like I said, being a private yard I would doubt there were doors leading into the yard from any of the other properties. I may be wrong though.

Comment

#5 Mitre Street (the property with the door attached to the private yard) does have some importance in my opinion. It was the childhood residence of Franklin King. That property was in the name of David S. King (a builder), his father, until 1881. It was said to have been used to store lumber even in 1888. They also had a property on Goulston Street, a few doors down from where the apron was dropped, also a lease on a property in King Street which was nearby in St James Square and one in Castle Alley in which the body of Alice McKenzie was found exactly on their doorstep.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
          Same rounded top at #9, yes. But that door is outside the yard. Goads key shows windows "on all or most floors" for the back of numbers 6,7,8 and 9.

Like I said, being a private yard I would doubt there were doors leading into the yard from any of the other properties. I may be wrong though.
          Appreciate your thoroughness.

The 1881 Census showed 6 Mitre Street to be occupied by a policeman's family.
          The area was actually full of police.The Bull Inn was reputedly an upstairs "police pub" where Eddowes was arrested.
          The landlord of a policeman had to be of very good character.Mandatory.
          The fence protected the rear of all three properties,including 5 Mitre Street's timber shed which was gone in November 1888.
          Last edited by DJA; 12-27-2017, 04:16 PM. Reason: November 1888

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
            #5 Mitre Street (the property with the door attached to the private yard) does have some importance in my opinion. It was the childhood residence of Franklin King. That property was in the name of David S. King (a builder), his father, until 1881. It was said to have been used to store lumber even in 1888. They also had a property on Goulston Street, a few doors down from where the apron was dropped, also a lease on a property in King Street which was nearby in St James Square and one in Castle Alley in which the body of Alice McKenzie was found exactly on their doorstep.
            There's that lumbar connection again! Although presumably the police checked out the property, George Clapp and his wife (and her nurse) and found nothing suspicious.
            Still, good stuff, old chap.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
              I do see your point.

Only kidding.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/50...8f6c67d025.jpg
              For what it's worth, this pic appears to show shutters open on either side of the doors/windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                For what it's worth, this pic appears to show shutters open on either side of the doors/windows.
                http://photos.casebook.org/displayim...565&fullsize=1
                Thanks mate.

Bit of a newspaper mock up.Much appreciated though.

If Jack was upstairs at number 6,the back gate was locked and he certainly wasn't answering the front door

As I've said before,it does answer the uncanny timing.
                Also where the kidney,etc was left,thereby freeing up the half apron as a red herring.

If there were only windows,just would have been a smidge more difficult.

Comment

Hi Folks,

What room was Pearce in in the square? I recall that his bedroom window looked onto the spot where the murder occurred. Always thought that it was unusual that his family, who supposedly were there that night, were never interviewed. Not that I could find anyway. A wife and daughter I believe. He was among the officers, including Reid and a few others, that worked under Abberline directly during that time I seem to remember. It was that group that returned to Millers Court that next morning to re-sieve the ashes in Marys room.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

3 Mitre Square.

Wife,son,two daughters.

He testified at the Inquest.

City policeman.
                    Last edited by DJA; 12-28-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      3 Mitre Square.

Wife,son,two daughters.

He testified at the Inquest.

City policeman.
                      Thanks for that DJA. As I mentioned before he interests me.
                      Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        The MP for Whitechapel, Mr Montagu, offered to pay a reward of £100 on 10th Sept....Presumably this is the reward on the poster outside Miller's Court?
                        According to the Illustrated Police News 17th Nov, it was their own reward the poster was offering;

"The most curious item in the entire surroundings is a large placard posted on the walls of the next house to one where the murder was committed offering, in the name of the ILLUSTRATED POLICE NEWS, a reward of POUNDS 100 for the discovery of the diabolical assassin"

Comment

• Ok, you folks are obviously very Mitre Square savy ...so where was the pub that was located before 1888 that was inside Mitre Square? Its referenced in at least one press account, I believe when they were seeking out dynamiters.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                            Ok, you folks are obviously very Mitre Square savy ...so where was the pub that was located before 1888 that was inside Mitre Square? Its referenced in at least one press account, I believe when they were seeking out dynamiters.
                            Never been able to identify one in the square, no obvious place for one that I can see.
                            There is a public house however on the glad map in st James place.
                            I have always assumed the report was mistaken. Do you have any information or suggestions Michael?

Steve

Comment

Hi Sam,

...As for severing the head, that's speculation, the nicks indicate the cuts were very deep..enough to nick the spine, but that's not an indication necessarily that the removal of the head was sought. The flaps were likely so the access could be quick, he was in a precarious spot in that yard, though better off that in Bucks Row. "In the consequence of haste" should address some of your concerns about his skill Sam. It evidently didn't dissuade the investigators from seeking specifically medically trained people for suspects. They in fact found some candidates too, as I'm sure youre aware.
                              Hello Mike,

Apparently Phillips thought there was an effort to decapitate the head too..." The muscular structures between the side processes of bone of the vertebrae had an appearance as if an attempt had been made to separate the bones of the neck."... unless there is another way to interpret that.

Also, the "consequence of haste" could apply to Mitre Square too, maybe even more so...could it not? Dr. Brown apparently seemed to think so as he carried out an experiment on how long it would take to excise a human uterus. Did you know that?

On the police investigation following the Chapman murder, who were the medically qualified suspects they found outside of this one unnamed medical student?
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Ok, you folks are obviously very Mitre Square savy ...so where was the pub that was located before 1888 that was inside Mitre Square? Its referenced in at least one press account, I believe when they were seeking out dynamiters.
                                Michael,

There were several coffee houses in the area but none in Mitre Square to my recollection. Sams Coffee House was at #9 King Street next door to the buildings I mentioned Frankilin King and his father had a lease on. This would actually be St James Square but someone could have confused it for Mitre Square, I guess. I believe at one time #6 and #7 Mitre Street were used as coffee houses as well. Not sure exactly when though.

Comment

Working...
                                X