Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

His missing year 1887-8 - I have a theory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His missing year 1887-8 - I have a theory!

I was listening to the Gordon podcast in bed last night, drifted off, and woke up at 2am with a theory, that I would like to test against you Ripperologists' greater knowledge.... here goes!

I think he went to the USA in the spring of 1887, then came to London in mid 1888. A year in the US enabled him to learn English and learn the trade of a barber-hairdresser.

I haven't read any evidence of where he trained in the tonsorial arts, he just seems to have trained as a doctor then started practising as a barber or hairdresser, whereas my hairdresser trained in college for three years.

For some reason (maybe he murdered someone?) he decided to come to England. When he arrived, he spoke English with a distinct American twang, and THAT is how he managed to pass himself off sometimes as born in the USA.

This theory may also explain why he is missing from passenger lists, though I must read more about that aspect of it.

Well, what do you think? Is my theory a "goer"?
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html
Working...
X