chapman and wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chapman and wheels

I am sure those of you who favor this suspect know this, but I thought I would post for the novice. Severin Klosowski at his trial was described as an "avid bicyclist". Adam does not mention when the onset of this behavior was, but to mt mind, to be an avid anything implies familiarity and experience. A bicycle also changes spatial relationships regarding this subject. The missing decade for example. He could have been living at quite some distance. If I had a wager however, he would not stray far from the river. I should think that axis stable.
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Chapman and Dougal

In his book VICTORIAN STUDIES IN SCARLET Richard Altick mentions that Chapman ran a pub in the county of Essex in the early 20th Century, and one of his customers was fellow murderer Samuel Dougal. Dougal (hanged for the murder of Camille Holland at the Moat Farm in 1899 - he wasn't hanged until 1903) also had a love of the new bicycle craze (really one set in the 1890s). He frequently had the girls he was currently romancing riding naked on his bicycle. Maybe he and Severin talked about this hobby when he came in for a drink.

Jeff

Comment

Pro & Mayerling,

Slight tangent but never the less...

This talk of bicyles triggered my memory. A letter mentioning such mode of transport.

Echo
      London, U.K.
      4 October 1888

TWO PRACTICAL SUGGESTIONS

SIR, - May I suggest through your columns the desirability of our police being provided at night time with indiarubber "clumps" to the soles of their boots, whereby their tread would be as noiseless as the wheels of a bicycle similarly shod. The tread of the policeman may know be heard at dead of night a quarter of a mile off, and is as useful a warning to the burglar as was the voice of the night watchman of old, when calling the hour. It is to be hoped that our rowdy M.P.'s will take warning by the horrible atrocities lately committed, and discontinue their abominable avocation of inciting the ignorant - directly or indirectly - towards lawlessness and crime, and resistance to the police in their arduous efforts to preserve order. - I am & c.,

Oct. 3.

W.E. CORNER

The stealth of the bicycle tyre.

Years ago there used to be a thread upon the idea of Jack using a bike. Im talking alomost ten years ago now, I dont suppose anyone has it on their archived CDs?

Monty
      Last edited by Monty; 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM.
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
        Pro & Mayerling,

Slight tangent but never the less...

This talk of bicyles triggered my memory. A letter mentioning such mode of transport.

Echo
        London, U.K.
        4 October 1888

TWO PRACTICAL SUGGESTIONS

SIR, - May I suggest through your columns the desirability of our police being provided at night time with indiarubber "clumps" to the soles of their boots, whereby their tread would be as noiseless as the wheels of a bicycle similarly shod. The tread of the policeman may know be heard at dead of night a quarter of a mile off, and is as useful a warning to the burglar as was the voice of the night watchman of old, when calling the hour. It is to be hoped that our rowdy M.P.'s will take warning by the horrible atrocities lately committed, and discontinue their abominable avocation of inciting the ignorant - directly or indirectly - towards lawlessness and crime, and resistance to the police in their arduous efforts to preserve order. - I am & c.,

Oct. 3.

W.E. CORNER

The stealth of the bicycle tyre.

Years ago there used to be a thread upon the idea of Jack using a bike. Im talking alomost ten years ago now, I dont suppose anyone has it on their archived CDs?

Monty
        Thank you Monty, Adam mentions that at the time of the poisonings, Chapman would go on biking excursions with officers. What an inconspicuous method of gaining intelligence. There has been much talk about the killer injecting himself into the investigation, here in Chapman we have just such a behavior. One might ask themselves where the origins of this behavior are to be found. Chapman was noted for his morbid curiosity of law enforcement, and here we have a criminal unafriad to take cycling trips with his pursuers. It is food for thought anyhow. Live Strong Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          In his book VICTORIAN STUDIES IN SCARLET Richard Altick mentions that Chapman ran a pub in the county of Essex in the early 20th Century, and one of his customers was fellow murderer Samuel Dougal. Dougal (hanged for the murder of Camille Holland at the Moat Farm in 1899 - he wasn't hanged until 1903) also had a love of the new bicycle craze (really one set in the 1890s). He frequently had the girls he was currently romancing riding naked on his bicycle. Maybe he and Severin talked about this hobby when he came in for a drink.

Jeff
          Only topol can clean that mental image, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X