A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper

A thread for discussion, reviews and questions on, A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper, by Brian L Porter.
    Regards Mike

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    A thread for discussion, reviews and questions on, A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper, by Brian L Porter.
    Hi Mike,

I just re-registered, as I seemed to have disappeared from the records, and find that you 've listed my novel here. Thank you.

Best regards

Brian
    I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

No problem Brian,

I love the book and it's like a rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

Great Work.

Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        No problem Brian,

I love the book and it's like a rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

Great Work.

Hello Mike,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the book. I'm also glad that you picked up the exact feeling I tried to infuse into the pages, 'the rollercoaster ride' as you describe it. I'm happy that I succeeded in that much at least.

Best regards

Brian
        Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

The latest review of 'A Study in Red'

As Mike has been kind enough to start this thread I thought I'd like to share the latest review of the book, carried out by Terri Dukes of CK2S Kwips & Kritiques. Kwips & Kritiques have just listed the book on their website as one of their 'recommended reads' for February at http://www.ck2skwipsandkritiques.com/werecommend.html. I'm very pleased that they have honoured my book in this small way. This is what the reviewer had to say:

CK2S Kwips and Kritiques
          Book Review

Book Title: A STUDY IN RED (THE SECRET JOURNAL OF JACK THE RIPPER)
          Author Name: Brian L. Porter
          ISBN #: 9781554045273
          Publisher Name: Double Dragon Publishing
          Date Released: January 2008
          Genre: Horror; Historical Fiction; Thriller
          Book Format: print
          Rating (See Rating Guide at bottom of form): 4-1/2 Klovers
          Web Link (If an eBook, link directly to the book’s page on the Publisher’s site. No link necessary if print book):

Story Summary
          Robert Cavendish is bereft with grief at his father’s recent passing. He was also surprised to learn his father bequeathed Robert a mysterious journal to be read after his death. Read by him and him alone. As he reads the journal, he comes to realize that he holds in his hands the actual rantings and admissions of Jack the Ripper! But that, as they say, is only the beginning. From those pages Robert discovers the answer to old mysteries and atrocities, answers that lead him down a path of horror and insanity. What affect can the secret ravings of a murderer such as Jack the Ripper have on a person? And what connection did Robert’s father have to this secret journal?

Opinion
          I was immediately struck by the enormous amount of research that went into A Study in Red (The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper). It brought 18th century London to life, making the story almost palpable. For over a hundred years, the mystery of Jack the Ripper has been investigated, written about, and discussed, but never like this. I could feel the cobblestones under my feet, hear the horses and carriages and smell the foul air of the London back alleyways.

The journal was an interesting tool, bringing the reader directly into Jack’s world and the insanity inflicting him. Experiencing the journal with Robert was intense as the mysteries unfold page by page. The suspense kept me engrossed well into the late evening hours, just as Robert had… I can feel the goose bumps now.

The identity of Jack the Ripper has been explored, but never in such a deliciously nail biting manner. Although fiction, the possibilities of who Jack really was and where he came from as well as his unfortunate victims felt all too real thanks to the obvious hard work of the author to create this sensational tale.

Reviewed By: Terri
          Email: terri@ck2skwipsandkritiques.com

Rating:
          5 Klovers - Excellent
          4 Klovers - Good
          3 Klovers - Average
          2 Klovers - You may want to think about it first
          1 Klover - Pass on this one

There can be 1/2 stars too like 3 1/2.
          Last edited by Rescuedog; 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

An Award Nomination for 'A Study in Red'

'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' has received a nomination for 'The Author's Lounge May 2008 Best Cover Art Award'. The cover was designed by Deron Douglas at Double Dragon Publishing of Ontario, who is himself an accomplished graphic designer as well as the CEO of Double Dragon and I'm thrilled that it has been honoured with this nomination. Voting opens on May 1st, at which time I will be listing the voting links in hopes that one or two of my friends and readers might feel kindly disposed enough to cast a vote for the book.

Regards

Brian

Comment

Well done brian, I like the front cover, very dark, with a diary kinda feel!!

let me know when voting begins my friend
              Regards Mike

Comment

Customer reviews - A Study in Red'

The following reviews are from readers who have generously gone out and spent their money to buy the book (apart from one who won it as a prize), and have then placed thier own reviews on the sites of Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com

Brian

From Amazon.co.uk at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Study-Red-Se...2482660&sr=1-1

5 Stars: A Thrilling Study in Red!!, 11 April 2008
                By Mr. Michael Covell "Mike Covell" (Hull) - See all my reviews

I was lucky enough to win this excellent book, otherwise I would have bought it anyway!! It grips you from the off slowly building up pace until it becames like a rollercoaster ride, one which keeps you entertained and unable to escape! The plot steadily builds up to a great crescendo and all the charectors are well written. If you read only 1 Jack the Ripper Fiction book, make it this one!

5 Stars: A BLOODY good read, 7 April 2008
                By Michael C. Walker "Jfripper" (OZ) - See all my reviews

The book I should have, could have, would have, but did not, write.
                But I did read it. And what a read!!
                This is the kind of journal the real Ripper would have wrote, not that supposed Maybrick DIARY.
                Grab it now, but Beware!! Not for the weak minded.

Well done Brain!!

5 Stars: Could not put it down, 22 Feb 2008
                By G. Bowers (uk) - See all my reviews

A cracking read keeps you on the edge of your seat from page one, can't wait for Brian L Porters next book

From Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...pr_product_top

4 Stars: A Fantastic New Twist on Jack the Ripper, February 10, 2008
                By Book Mama "Terri" (Alaska, USA) - See all my reviews

Courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

Robert Cavendish is bereft with grief at his father's recent passing. He was also surprised to learn his father bequeathed Robert a mysterious journal to be read after his death. Read by him and him alone. As he reads the journal, he comes to realize that he holds in his hands the actual rantings and admissions of Jack the Ripper! But that, as they say, is only the beginning. From those pages Robert discovers the answer to old mysteries and atrocities, answers that lead him down a path of horror and insanity. What affect can the secret ravings of a murderer such as Jack the Ripper have on a person? And what connection did Robert's father have to this secret journal?

I was immediately struck by the enormous amount of research that went into A Study in Red (The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper). It brought 18th century London to life, making the story almost palpable. For over a hundred years, the mystery of Jack the Ripper has been investigated, written about, and discussed, but never like this. I could feel the cobblestones under my feet, hear the horses and carriages and smell the foul air of the London back alleyways.

The journal was an interesting tool, bringing the reader directly into Jack's world and the insanity inflicting him. Experiencing the journal with Robert was intense as the mysteries unfold page by page. The suspense kept me engrossed well into the late evening hours, just as Robert had... I can feel the goose bumps now.

The identity of Jack the Ripper has been explored, but never in such a deliciously nail biting manner. Although fiction, the possibilities of who Jack really was and where he came from as well as his unfortunate victims felt all too real thanks to the obvious hard work of the author to create this sensational tale.

4 Stars: Chronicles of a Madman, March 1, 2008
                By Susan Whitfield "author and mystery lover" (NC, USA) - See all my reviews

The pages of Porter's novel pulled at me, finally snatching me into the Ripper's world. It gave me the creeps. I literally had to stop reading occasionally to make sure I was still in my safe home reading this fictitious account of a madman. Be warned that this novel is extremely intense!

Comment

I'm pleased to say that I've been asked to contribute an article to 'The Journal of The Whitechapel Society 1888'. Those of you who are members of the society and who receive the journal might like to look out for it in the next issue, which I think is due towards the end of May. I'm not giving away any secrets, but the article's called "Whodunnit?"..."I Dunno."

While checking the book's performance on the Amazon.UK site today, I found that out of 284 Jack the Ripper books listed there, 'A Study in Red' is the 36th Best seller amongst them at the moment. In bookselling terms, that is just fantastic when one considers that some of those books have been around quite a bit longer than mine, and have receievd far more in terms of marketing support and media coverage. I'm over the moon, particularly as three days ago, it was at number 62, and I thought that was good!

Regards to all

Brian

Comment

Hi Brian

The WS Journal will be available on 7th June - those members attending our meeting can collect their copy then. The rest will be mailed out on Monday
                    9th.

After all the praise about your book, I have just bought it from Amazon - trouble is - I then went on and spent a small fortune on other books!

Coral

Comment

Hi Coral,

Thanks for posting the dates for the journal's availability. I'll look forward to receiving my copy in the post as usual.

I'm delighted to say that as of this morning, the book hit the Top Twenty in the Amazon Uk list of Best Selling Ripper books. So, its gone from #62 to #20 in a week. I'm really pleased with its performance, and hope that those who've bought it are enjoying the nvoel. The customer reviews certainly seem to hint that they are, which is nice to know, and I'm gratefu to everyone who's bought a copy.

That goes for you too of course Coral, though I do apologise if buying the book has led you into an unscheduled book-buying spree at amazon. Then again I always think that one can never have too many books, though I'm sure my wife would disagree as she keeps trying to get me to downsize my personal library!

To see the latest positions in the Amazon Jack the Ripper best selling list please go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/jack-ripper-...0ripper&page=2

Best regards

Brian

Comment

No Problem Brian

Just bought some books I had promised myself as well as 'silly books' to take on holiday - not that yours is a 'silly book'. I cant wait to read it - probably the 1st novel I will read in 10 years.

Cant say thay I am happy with Amazon at the moment though - I ordered 6 books - all in stock - but are scheduled to reach me 2nd - 15 May! I could get withdrawal symptons!

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
                          No Problem Brian

Just bought some books I had promised myself as well as 'silly books' to take on holiday - not that yours is a 'silly book'. I cant wait to read it - probably the 1st novel I will read in 10 years.

Cant say thay I am happy with Amazon at the moment though - I ordered 6 books - all in stock - but are scheduled to reach me 2nd - 15 May! I could get withdrawal symptons!

Coral
                          Hi Coral,

Normally when I buy from Amazon UK I go direct to The Book Depository, if they're listed as stocking the book, who invariably deliver within five days of ordering. I tested them out when A Study in Red first appeared on Amazon, and was delighted with their service.

I'm honoured that mine will be the first novel you've read in such a long time. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Hope you're going somehwere warmer and more exotic than good old England for your holiday so you can relax and soak up the sun as you read your small library of books.

Best regards

Brian

Comment

A five star review

Coinciding with the fact that the book was this morning at #17 in the Anmazon UK JTR listings, the following five star review appeared this morning on the US (Amazon.com) site: I'm dead chuffed!

Regards

Brian

A study in horror, April 23, 2008
                            By Vivian E. Zabel (Edmond, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews

I picked up A Study in Red: The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, the cover hinting at the dark secrets contained between the covers. But, the cover didn't warn of the depth of travel into the mind of a mad man.

Brian L. Porter's words grab the reader and won't let go as he describes Robert Cavendish's reading of the secret journal of the notorious Jack the Ripper. The man's life changed as he discovered an ancestor's place in Jack's life, the workings of The Ripper's mind, and the terror the mad man invoked.

This book is not one I could sit and read at one time. I would read a section, shiver, and lay the book aside. I had to return to its pages, though. I could not stay away. Part by part I delved into the horror that Porter portrayed in his novel. I can't say I enjoyed the book, because the uneasy feeling it left in my mind were not enjoyable, but the book held my attention.

For a work of fiction, A Study in Red left me wondering how anything of fiction could seem so real.

Comment

A Study in Red now at W H Smith

UK Readers may be interested to know that 'A Study in Red' has at last been added to the catalogue of W H Smith. It can be ordered for home delivery or I understand that it is also able to be ordered for collection at your local W H Smith store. The book can be found at http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...html&tab=1

Regards

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X