This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Conference 2016

Have heard tell there may be an American conference run in 2016. I look forward to attending if that's the case. Hope to see some of you all there.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Originally posted by Ally View Post
    Have heard tell there may be an American conference run in 2016. I look forward to attending if that's the case. Hope to see some of you all there.
    Too far, by far.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
      You heard right. A conference is planned for April 8-10 in Baltimore. We will be providing details soon but will be happy for any suggestions on speakers and entertainment. Thanks so much for your interest. We look forward to seeing you.

Comment

Bawlmer is home of some of the best blue crab and Natty Boh. What more entertainment does one need? I guess there is Poe too.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Rather far from my neck of the woods-- but closer than it is from Australia. Probably cheaper airfares, as well.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Very excited to hear this news.

Much needed.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I think I would be able to make that one.

c.d.

Comment

Awesome news!

Given that it is in Baltimore, maybe a speaker with some expertise on Poe? It is unfortunate that he died long before the murders, but the circumstances surrounding his death are mysterious....And while he would be rather old to be the Ripper, he wouldn't be much older than William Gull. Given these facts, I find it curious that he cannot be placed - alive - outside of Whitechapel during the dates of the murders. He cannot be excluded.

Seriously, given his literary genre, this would be a nice extension for the conference to pursue. I actually have an expert who has published two books on Poe in mind; if the organizers are interested please feel free to contact me.

Comment

Oh come on GUT if I can fly 1 1/2 hours to go you can fly 15 hours to go!!!!

Amazing news... Can't wait to hear more details!!! I think I will make this one (work and health permitting) may even drag my brother (Like I did on the ripper walk when we were in London... actually he loved it... said after " huh that was really cool... maybe your not crazy after all" )

Hope to get to meet up with so many folks from the boards...perhaps we may even get a few Rippercasts out of this....

A Poe expert sounds like a great idea to me!! If anyone wants a boxing person for a discussion I'll do it

Look forward to more details and really look forward to meeting so many people I feel I know thru the boards

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
                    You heard right. A conference is planned for April 8-10 in Baltimore. We will be providing details soon but will be happy for any suggestions on speakers and entertainment. Thanks so much for your interest. We look forward to seeing you.
                    I shall be there! Let's hope the Orioles or Nationals are in town, as well.

Comment

I will think about this-- Poe was one of my favorite writers! And my mother's ancestors had some Maryland roots, but I've never been to the east coast.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                        I shall be there! Let's hope the Orioles or Nationals are in town, as well.
                        I'm up for a game.... I love the ballpark in Baltimore!!!! plus I love baseball in general, so even if it isn't the Yankees I would love to go... (prefer American League to National.. which is why I said Baltimore before Washington )

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                          I'm up for a game.... I love the ballpark in Baltimore!!!! plus I love baseball in general, so even if it isn't the Yankees I would love to go... (prefer American League to National.. which is why I said Baltimore before Washington )

Steadmund Brand
                          As it get's closer, we'll set it up. Of course, the 2016 schedule won't be out until early next year. It's likely one of the teams will be home. A buddy of mine I played ball with played for the O's. If Baltimore is in town I'll see if he can get me a block of tickets.

I love Camden Yards. STORY TIME!

My friend was a pitcher and just got called up from AAA and he was living in a hotel by the ballpark. He started a game at home against the Yankees. I went to Baltimore to watch him throw and we were hanging out the day of the game (it was a night game). We got on the elevator at his hotel and Paul O'Neil got on with us. We made small talk and O'Neil gets off. My friend - who I had caught for years - asked me how I'd call an at-bat to O'Neil. I said I'd throw him fatballs up and breaking stuff down and away. That night, he walks two guys and O'Neil comes up. His first pitch was a fastball on the inside part and O'Neil just drops the bat-head on it. Double up the gap. Two runs score.

Lots of drinking later. Good times.

Comment

That story is awesome (especially the Yankees scoring 2 runs.... GO YANKEES!!!)

I've only been to Baltimore once before... so looking forward to this...anyone else think they will be going?

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Thinking seriously about making this one...

Go Cardinals!!!
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                              X