Great Disappearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Disappearances

On a thread on "Pub Talk" I suggested that possibly we should have a thread simply dealing with those cases that are of people or objects or lands (hello Atlantis) that have disappeared, either in actuality or in legend with possible grounding in actuality (again Atlantis). These are (to paraphrase Canadian Prime Minister Mackenzie) "not necessarily murder cases, but murder cases if we find them necessary."

To try to start this off, I will list my initial choices of the best known vanishing acts. Keep in mind, when dealing with people, homicide may be in the background. Certainly kidnapping can be for some (if not all) of the children that turn up missing.

Atlantis (to start at the beginning)
    The creators of the statues on Easter Island
    The first colony on Greenland
    Hi/Hy-Brazil and other islands in the Atlantic "maps" before Columbus
    The "Lost Colony" of Roanoke
    John Cabot's last exploration
    The Corte Real Brothers and their men
    La Perouse's final fate (partially discovered in the early 19th Century)
    Ludwig Leichardt
    Sir John Franklin's last expedition (of which more information is forthcoming in the coming years)

Ships
    City of Glasgow
    Collins liner "Pacific"
    City of Boston
    Naronic
    Warahtah

Planes
    Squadron 13
    Star Ariel and her sister "Star" airplane
    dirigible "Dixmude"
    Amelia Earhart/Fred Noonan's plane
    Sir Charles Kingford-Smith's plane
    Nungasser and Coli's plane (and did they actually get to North America or crash into the Atlantic)

New York State Chancellor John Lansing (vanished 1829)
    William Morgan (revealer of Masonic information) (vanished in 1826)
    Charlie Ross (kidnapped in 1874)
    Amelia Jeffs (one of the West Ham cases - although they did find Ms Jeff's dead body, and they did sort of guess what happened)
    Percy Fawcett
    Michael Rockefeller
    Jimmy Hoffa
    Justice Joseph Force Crater
    Ambrose Bierce

This list will give an idea of what I am talking about. Please feel free to enter into discussions on these and similar disappearances.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I'll take Mu and James Churchward. What happened to it? Gas bubbles beneath the Pacific caused its collapse.

Comment

G'day Jeff

Glad to see you included Charlis Kingsford-Smith.

I'll be back with some more.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Louis Le Prince

Got on a train and never seen again.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Under shipping

The crew of MV Joyita.
          G U T

Comment

Owen Parfitt

The paralysed stroke victim in 1763, where [or more to the point how] did he go.
            G U T

Comment

The Norfolk Regiment

Where the heck did a whole regiment go, or did Turkey just lie after the war.
              G U T

Comment

Or David Lang who was said to have disappeared before the very eyes of his wife, children and his friend the Judge, in USA in 1800's, or was this just a cover-up by the judge and the family.
                G U T

Comment

The Beaumont Children in Adelaide, but 'm afraid I think that the answer there is obvious.
                  G U T

Comment

Simon p makin
                    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

And how could we ever forget Spartacus. My goodness I could post on this thread for days, and may well do so.
                      G U T

Comment

Another related to Aus is George Bass, but again I suspect that the answer is probably pretty obvious. When you put out to sea sailing from Sydney to South Africa [or indeed anywhere] in 1803 the chances of disappearing at sea were always good.
                        G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          And how could we ever forget Spartacus. My goodness I could post on this thread for days, and may well do so.
                          I'm Spartacus!!!
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

In no particular order:

Henry Hudson
                            Indiana Dunes Women
                            Dorothy Arnold
                            Alois Brunner
                            Bela Kiss
                            Andrew Irvine
                            Jodi Huisentruit
                            Suzy Lamplugh
                            Jean Spangler
                            Vincent Mangano
                            Hale Boggs
                            Helen Brach
                            Lord Lucan
                            Felix Moncla
                            Glenn Miller

Locally:

Fay Rawley
                            Richard Griener
                            Walter Donley

Personal Friend:

Robert Beutel
                            Last edited by sdreid; 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM.
                            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Let's not forget the great D.B Cooper .

Comment

Working...
                              X