Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hello all,

I'm new and wanted to introduce myself before I begin asking questions. I've read several books over the years about JtR, and have spent the last couple of months delving through the wonderful archives here. JtR has been one of those mysteries that has always intrigued me.

That being said, JtR will be the subject of the next novel my hubby and I write. I'm submerging myself in research and the East End. I want as much of 1888 Whitechapel to come to life as possible.

I already owe a lot to many of you. Your posts from the past few years on this forum have given me a lot to think about. The photos of the area are proving invaluable, as are the photos and discussions on the victims. Thank you all so much for posting your discussions on a site like this so the rest of us can learn.

I've got a map of 1888 Whitechapel pinned the wall here, with all the pertinent spots marked out. I know it isn't that large of an area, but it seems large on the map. I think this is partially due to the small size of most of the buildings. Anyway, it is more to keep my geography straight.
    Gotta love historical fiction.

Anyway, thanks again. I hope to get to know some of you in the course of writing this book.

~Toni

welcome

Hello Toni. Welcome to the boards.

Good luck with the book.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by ToniR View Post
      Thank you all so much for posting your discussions on a site like this so the rest of us can learn.
      We don't post our discussions so the rest of you can learn. We just like to argue a lot without the chance of getting smacked.. LOL.

Welcome to Casebook, Toni, and good luck with your novel.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

We don't post our discussions so the rest of you can learn. We just like to argue a lot without the chance of getting smacked.. LOL.
        That's a remarkably shrewd observation!

Welcome to the madhouse Toni

Dave

Comment

Thank you all for the welcome! I think I'll feel right at home. The arguing is the best part.
          And thank you to the moderator who moved my post to the right place... I'm still finding my way around.

~Toni
          Last edited by ToniR; 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Hello ToniR.. welcome you to the boards.....I look foward to reading your novel, please let us know how things are going with it.

Have you ever had a chance to go to Whitechapel? Take one of the walking tours....so much has changed over the years but it still helps to understand things like times and distance..

hope to hear more from you on the message boards!!

Steadmund
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Good to meet you, Toni. We look forward to your participation here.

Cheers

Chris
              Christopher T. George
              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have not had the opportunity to go to the UK at all, though I hope to one day. I would love to explore Whitechapel and take one of the tours. In the meantime, I study the photos posted here and the satellite photos on Google.

I've begun writing, but then I find myself needing to know something historic, so I've been back to researching for the past week. I've got some questions I'll be posting about the police soon. I have to finish reading everything in that forum first to make sure I don't ask a question someone has already answered!

~Toni

Comment

Thank you for your message, Chris... I cannot access the email service on the forums yet. Suffice it for me to say thank you on both counts.

~Toni

Comment

Welcome Toni. I wish you the best of luck with your novel.
                    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                    X