The Proper Red Stuff In A Ginger Beer Bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Proper Red Stuff In A Ginger Beer Bottle

"I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it. Red ink is fit enough I hope ha. ha."

I had always thought that the "Dear Boss" letter was a hoax, but recently this line has caught my attention.

If the letter is a hoax, why on earth would the writer know that penning with blood is so difficult? And, if he wasn't just trying to rouse the reader but telling the truth, why did he have blood in his possession?

He described the traits accurately: blood drops won't stay as liquid for long, they have the tendency to stick together and turned into a jelly-like substance. I guess this is because of blood's clotting ability that our bodies rely on so much.

It's hard to use as ink, you can't simply dip the pen in it and expect to draw a complete word. You would either have to funnel it into the pen's internal reservoir (where the ink is stored), but risk the chance of it clotting and drying up inside, or use a paint brush, which might give you the best result.

Unless I'm entirely mistaken, this wasn't common knowledge back in the day. While there are countless mentions of "written with blood" in stories, I doubt that many people have actually tried it.

I only found this information out because one night I had a bloody nose (I get them a lot during the change of seasons) and took the oppurtunity to try to recreate this letter, wondering if using blood would be as hard as the author had said. I failed miserably.

There are plenty of ways to get blood without killing someone, whether it's his blood or someone else's. The author might've been injured or gotten a nosebleed, or had been a doctor or a butcher who obviously had that kind of access. The possibilities are endless.

I'm really curious as to what you guys think about this.
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Hey Madam Red,

Interesting thoughts, but to be honest I don't think he needed to be Einstein to work out that blood will clot and dry up very quickly if not preserved in the right way. Especially if it had been sitting around for 3 weeks before he actually wrote the letter....

"From Hell" is the best shot at a genuine Ripper letter, in my view.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
      Hey Madam Red,

Interesting thoughts, but to be honest I don't think he needed to be Einstein to work out that blood will clot and dry up very quickly if not preserved in the right way. Especially if it had been sitting around for 3 weeks before he actually wrote the letter....

"From Hell" is the best shot at a genuine Ripper letter, in my view.

Cheers,
      Adam.
      You make a good point.
      And I agree with you about the "From Hell Letter."
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

And I thought you were going to be referring to the ginger beer bottles at Millers Court ...
        Even though this letter has lost some of it's credibility over the years I can imagine a detective ordering a constable to "check those bottles".
        Last edited by The Snapper; 08-02-2010, 02:14 PM. Reason: Extra content

Comment

Hello Red,

I would say it is a well known fact that blood does indeed clot and that line is just another of the writers, whoever he may be, jokes.

If your interested in this line I started a thread a while ago about it. Though it isn't in quite the same direction as your but its worth a look.

Yours truly,

Corey
          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Sure thing, Corey.

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Hi,
              The very fact that the writer of this letter refers to a ginger beer bottle is intresting enough, someone in room 13 obviously had a taste for such a beverage.
              Was the term 'Ginger' [ kellys nickname] a reference to her liking it, rather then her hair colouring?
              Of all the bottles the writer could have used, could it be, that it was the one most foremost in his/her mind at the time of writing, and if written in Room 13 possibly just feet away from them in a cupboard.
              But that would implicate one of the internal triangle , Barnett/Mjk/Fleming...
              Surely not Kelly??
              Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                Hi,
                The very fact that the writer of this letter refers to a ginger beer bottle is intresting enough, someone in room 13 obviously had a taste for such a beverage.
                Was the term 'Ginger' [ kellys nickname] a reference to her liking it, rather then her hair colouring?
                Of all the bottles the writer could have used, could it be, that it was the one most foremost in his/her mind at the time of writing, and if written in Room 13 possibly just feet away from them in a cupboard.
                But that would implicate one of the internal triangle , Barnett/Mjk/Fleming...
                Surely not Kelly??
                Regards Richard.
                Hi Richard
                Could it also possibly implicate GH? he said he knew her for several years and obviously knew where she lived. He could have been in her room also?
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, I'm going to be a real miserable sod here.

Best guess is that if someone is nutty enough to want to write a letter like that, then he's nutty enough to want to write it in blood for added effect irrespective of whether or not he was Jack. It wasn't exactly a problem getting blood in those days, you just had to buy a chicken for dinner and slit it's throat. If he was that nutty it could have been a rat or cat, it would really not difficult to get hold of blood. He found out once he started that blood isn't really that great for writing sicko letters.

So really I don't think you can tell anything from that comment.

Hugs

Janie

xxxxx
                  I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer was (is) pretty ubiquitous stuff. I'd be tempted to see this as a coincidence - nothing more.

Best regards

Sally

Comment

Well, unless we're looking for a "Five Go Wild In Whitechapel" scenario.....

Comment

I thought it was pretty much accepted now that the writer was Tom Bulling working with Charles Moore?

Several people including police officers make reference to him writing the letter and as a journalist, he would know to send it to central news in order to get maximum exposure.

Regards,
                        Last edited by Tecs; 11-11-2010, 01:30 AM.
                        If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Well, unless we're looking for a "Five Go Wild In Whitechapel" scenario.....
                          Hi Robert - that's hilarious!!

Hi Tecs - yes, this is my understanding of the situation. But even if that turned out not to be the case, I honestly can't see the presence of a ginger beer bottle in Kelly's room being indicative of anything suspicious.

Best regards, both

Sally

Comment

Actually, storing blood in ginger beer bottles may have worked. The problem was, the concentration was much lower in England after 1855, so what would have worked elsewhere, would not have worked there. Ginger is high in salicylates, a natural blood thinner, so if he had tried it before, and it worked, it may have been from somewhere other than England with a higher concentration. Still could have been a lucky guess, but it is not without logic.
                            I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                            Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by sleekviper View Post
                              Actually, storing blood in ginger beer bottles may have worked. The problem was, the concentration was much lower in England after 1855, so what would have worked elsewhere, would not have worked there. Ginger is high in salicylates, a natural blood thinner, so if he had tried it before, and it worked, it may have been from somewhere other than England with a higher concentration. Still could have been a lucky guess, but it is not without logic.

Wasn't it Ginger beer in the famous legal case (I think off the top of my head it was Stephenson vs Donohue) that redefined contract law?

Viper, you are spot on. I did a project on salicylic acid at university. They are a natural blood thinner so a layman may very well use it in this way. Good spot!

And thanks Sally as well, nice to hear from you.

Regards,
                              Last edited by Tecs; 11-12-2010, 01:55 AM.
                              If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Working...
                              X