No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That reminds me of a certain BlackAdder episode in the Tudor series!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      That reminds me of a certain BlackAdder episode in the Tudor series!
      That was a good one.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 May 10 - Frederick Mors, a.k.a. Carl Menarik, escapes from the Matteawan Institution for the Insane. The serial killer had been comfined there after murdering at least eight people in a Bronx nursing home. Despite great efforts by authorties, he was never recaptured.

50 years ago - 1966 May 10 - In Virginia, sixteen-year-old Cynthia Johnson is shot twice and killed then left in a cemetery. Serial killer brothers William and Thomas Penn were eventually convicted and sent to prison for life.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 May 12 - For his leadership of the Easter Rebellion, James Connolly is executed in Ireland by firing squad.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            100 years ago - 1916 May 12 - For his leadership of the Easter Rebellion, James Connolly is executed in Ireland by firing squad.
            A nasty piece of history.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

100 years ago - 1916 May 12 - For his leadership of the Easter Rebellion, James Connolly is executed in Ireland by firing squad.
              He'd been injured in his leg, and as a result he was executed while seated. Like GUT said, "A nasty piece of business."

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 May 14 - The partially clad remains of Catherine Baker, 16, are found floating in a New Jersey waterway. She had been missing for two months and head trauma was found to be the cause of her death. It is assumed that she is another victim of the Original Jersey Shore Killer, a serial murderer who is still uncaught and unidentified.
                Last edited by sdreid; 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 May 15 - After he was convicted of the rape and murder of Lucy Fryer, Jesse Washinton, 17, is dragged from a Waco, Texas courtroom, tortured and emasculated then hung over a bonfire and burned alive. Washington was black and the murder victim was white.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 May 14 - The partially clad remains of Catherine Baker, 16, are found floating in a New Jersey waterway. She had been missing for two months and head trauma was found to be the cause of her death. It is assumed that she is another victim of the Original Jersey Shore Killer, a serial murderer who is still uncaught and unidentified.
                    I thought the original Jersey Shore killer was a shark...

Comment

100 years ago - 1916 May 15 - After he was convicted of the rape and murder of Lucy Fryer, Jesse Washinton, 17, is dragged from a Waco, Texas courtroom, tortured and emasculated then hung over a bonfire and burned alive. Washington was black and the murder victim was white.
                      And if he had been white and her black????
                      G U T

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 May 17 - Edith Post, 62, dies unexpectedly after checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital. She was one of nine non-critical admittees to expire there mysteriously in eleven month's time. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with using curare to murder some of the individuals but was acquitted, leaving the cases unsolved. The doctor returned to his native Argentina after the trial and died there in 1984.

50 years ago - 1966 May 17 - In the rural hills of Pennsylvania, serial sniper William Hollenbaugh shoots and kills FBI Agent Terry Anderson, his only actual fatality. The next day, Hollenbaugh was killed while resisting arrest.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 May 20 - After leaving a meeting at a Virginia church, Addison Wilkins, 20, and Malcolm Norment, 41, are robbed, shot and killed. Eventually, serial killing brothers William and Thomas Penn received life terms for these and other murders.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago -1966 May 23 - Forty-year-old Loren Bollinger, an Ohio State University Columbus scientist, is robbed, shot and killed. Police matched the .25 caliber bullets in his body to the same gun that was used in the robberies and murders of two service station attendants in the previous eight months. Today, all three murders remain unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A Southern peculiarity-- all too common

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              And if he had been white and her black????
                              I think it would have, sadly, been business as usual. No one would have believed her if she had tried to complain, so she probably would have kept silent. There might have been a trial, if she could find a lawyer, but there is no certainty that she would have received justice against a white rapist.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                                I think it would have, sadly, been business as usual. No one would have believed her if she had tried to complain, so she probably would have kept silent. There might have been a trial, if she could find a lawyer, but there is no certainty that she would have received justice against a white rapist.
                                I agree.

I had an ancestor who was a major slave owner, probably trader as well, he had kids by at least three slaves (were the woman willing??) though to give him credit he did give them his name and seems to have taken responsibility, at least to some degree, for their advancement in life.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X