No announcement yet.

Exonerating Michael Kidney - A Fresh Look at Old Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an add on, and something that's always intrigued me, Eddowes was initially identified as 'Pheobe the Jewess' in some early news editions.

A possible connection?

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks for confirming that, Don. Didn't know he/she was called the shabbos-goy. Who says religion is crazy?

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

I've read many of Tom's articles and I think this is one of his best.

This has been discussed before, but it has been awhile, so perhaps some of the members who think Kidney may have been Stride's killer would like to comment upon Tom's take on this.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
          RubyRetro,

I have always thought that that the reason that Liz and Kate were targetted was that they were soliciting for clients attending Jewish Clubs

In Liz'a case the "work among the Jews" reference almost assuredly refers to her doing odd-job cleaning work for Jewish families, even as she did in Sweden. Hence her supposed ability to speak Yiddish that was learned on the job in Stockholm.

Don.
          How is it possible that you can definitely assert that "at work among the Jews" can only mean that did housework for them ? She was a Prostitute
          (and I think that Tom's article makes that clear), and she did do cleaning.

I will grant you that I might well be making a false assumption over that quotation : it could mean either, infact.

"at work among the Jews" might mean either 'housework' or 'prostitution' -we can't know for sure.
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            As an add on, and something that's always intrigued me, Eddowes was initially identified as 'Pheobe the Jewess' in some early news editions.

A possible connection?

Monty
            Fascinating ! ...I don't know anything about this very strange (given that Eddowes was such a chirpy english sparrow) story...what is the reference ?

Comment

"at work among the Jews" might mean either 'housework' or 'prostitution'

Believe what you like, which you will anyway.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

I meant, ought there not be a reference to the article first appearing in the Examiner accompanying the dissertation.
                Oops, didn't notice this. As I didn't (need to) read the “dissertation“.
                Except, strangely enough it seems, an article that Jennifer Pegg (Shelden) and I wrote many years ago for Ripperologist. Last time I looked, it had the original illustrations.
                Might I inquire which article you're referring to Don, if it doesn't highjack too much from the thread?

Hence her {Stride's} supposed ability to speak Yiddish that was learned on the job in Stockholm.
                Her understanding Yiddish would automatically occur through her Swedish anyway. Even I understand (spoken) Yiddish and can read Danish from my German. (Reading Hebrew would have been another matter altogether, which I wish I could, for Lynn to spare his money with the AF project!)
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

"at work among the Jews" might mean either 'housework' or 'prostitution'

Believe what you like, which you will anyway.

Don.
                  As will you. There is no way of prooving our respective points of view.

Comment

Maria,

Her understanding Yiddish would automatically occur through her Swedish anyway. Even I understand (spoken) Yiddish and can read Danish from my German

You are a stupor mundi. In any case, I was only repeating the perceived wisdom.

Don.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

stupor mundi
                      It's funny, my paper at the conference here is about (among else) a Risorgimental opera by Verdi about the first (not the fifth) Crusade (but in reality about the re-unification of Italy).
                      Lynn Cates also understands Yiddish. (And can write articles in Latin.)
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

All,

Abject apologies. I don't know what I was thinking: Liz charred in Gothenburg not Stockholm before she came to England.

Don.

Comment

Don,

Did you happen to notice the very first post in this thread, written by myself, which states the essay was published in Casebook Examiner? And yes, it SHOULD have that sourced in the Dissertations section, otherwise any writer wanting to reference this could only reference the Casebook website.

Originally posted by Rubyretro
                          Hi Tom -I just read your article/dissertation and thought it one of the best written, and best supported, bits of writing that I've had the pleasure to read in Ripper Land.
                          Wow, thanks for that. What a compliment.

you claim that that one example of Liz lying, was her claim to having a deformed palate. Garry Wroe cleaned up the photo of Liz dead in the morgue, and she clearly had a deformed lip. This coralated with Neal Sheldon's statement that Liz was known as 'Old Mother Gum' because she had a deformed lip. Liz was clearly born with this deformity (and it couldn't have been caused by anyone putting their foot in her mouth as she escaped from The Princess Alice), but there was clearly 'some' truth in her assertion.....ok a 'palate' isn't a 'lip' -but she did have a deformed mouth.
                          I wouldn’t go so far as to say Liz’s bottom lip was deformed. Keep in mind she’s lying on her back with her head propped forward. I would say she had a prominent bottom lip, which led not only to the name ‘Old Mother Gum’ but also ‘Hippy Lip Annie’, hippy meaning ‘to stick out’. But she used the ‘bad palate’ lie to excuse a perceived speech impediment she had, which more than likely was really her Swedish accent coming through. A big bottom lip wouldn’t lead to a speech impediment, of course, and this might be why some people said she didn’t speak with a Swedish accent (because they understood her to have a speech impediment, so took no notice of the irregularity of her speech), while others she openly told she was Swedish.

I have always thought that that the reason that Liz and Kate were targetted
                          was that they were soliciting for clients attending Jewish Clubs, the night of their deaths. The Statement about 'at work among the Jews ' (which I take as prostituting herself for jewish clients), and the mention of Fashion Street by both Liz and Kate...where there was a Synagogue....certainly gives food for thought.
                          I wouldn’t doubt that Liz entertained Jewish clients…that might very well be the reason she was hanging out at the Berner Street club. However, when an East End unfortunate said she ‘worked among the Jews’, it was a way of explaining their extra money. So when Liz said this, she was avoiding the admission that she was a prostitute. Having said that, Liz did in fact do cleaning for money and did some on the morning of her murder.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,
                            I think the weakest aspect is your conclusion that Le Grand must have delivered Kidney to Leman Street in a cab. As if Le Grand had a monopoly on hansom cabs? We also have no way of knowing whether or not Kidney could have afforded a short cab ride. I would suggest the cost of such a ride would not have been exorbitant.
                            Also Le Grand would not have ‘possessed’ a cab – he would have hailed one when necessary.

You also claim that Kidney went to the police station, in a cab supplied by Le Grand, to ask the police to provide him with a strange (unknown) detective in order to cross examine Le Grand. Because Le Grand didn’t want to divulge certain information to Kidney.
                            That doesn’t quite work.

Having said that the notion that Stride wasn’t a Ripper victim is very weak – a middle aged prostitute with a drink problem murdered and left in the open late at night with a cut throat. Not mutilated but there’s an obvious reason for this (being disturbed) and a second murder the same night with a time frame that exactly fits.
                            It is stretching credibility to think there were two murderers about that night – and on no other.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
                              I've read many of Tom's articles and I think this is one of his best.

This has been discussed before, but it has been awhile, so perhaps some of the members who think Kidney may have been Stride's killer would like to comment upon Tom's take on this.
                              That is greatly appreciated, Hunter. That really was the purpose for my writing it. Like the rest of us, newbies (and oldies) came from having read the books, and as I exposed in my article, they are ALL wrong in their treatments of the Stride case. That's not to be critical, it's just a fact. The suggestion that Kidney killed Stride has always been the predominant factor in the argument that she was not a Ripper victim. As was recently pointed out, 36% o people on a Casebook poll feel that Stride was not a Ripper victim. This is 99% due to the books on the case blaming Kidney, or just getting their facts wrong in general. My hope with this essay now being on the Casebook is that when this kind of discussion arises, they can be pointed here to read it and be up to speed. Or at least have ALL the facts at their command to make an educated decision.

By 'exonerating' Michael Kidney, we do not at all prove that Jack the Ripper killed her, but the second most popular reason for discounting her as a Ripper victim is now good and truly quashed.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                                (...)impediment she had, which more than likely was really her Swedish accent coming through. A big bottom lip wouldn’t lead to a speech impediment, of course, and this might be why some people said she didn’t speak with a Swedish accent (because they understood her to have a speech impediment, so took no notice of the irregularity of her speech)
                                Very astute observation. For what it's worth, Swedish is not so much a guttural language as Danish is. Is there anybody else out there thinking, like me, that it's kind of interesting if a Dane pimp were the one who killed a Swedish prostitute?

To Lechmere:
                                Le Grand is documented to have picked up Packer in a hired cab with Batchelor.
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X