Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyles Brandreth Jack the Ripper: Case Closed

My post includes spoilers.

I wasn't sure where to make this post. In the fiction or non-fiction section. It's a novel but in a write up for The Telegraph website the author says "I have written it as fiction, but I believe in all essentials it is a matter of fact".

Link to The Telegraph website page.

"Having read Macnaghten’s report and the unpublished papers of George R Sims, who was a friend of both Macnaghten and Wilde and, as a journalist, covered the story from the start, my conclusion is that at least 10 of the 11 Whitechapel murders, plus others committed in London between the summer of 1888 and the spring of 1894, were the work of two of the other prime suspects who feature in Melville Macnaghten’s report."

Gyles Brandreth's grandmother’s first cousin was George R. Sims. Brandreth has read unpublished papers of George R Sims.
    He doesn't give names in The Telegraph piece but from what he does say I take it he means Kosminski and Michael Ostrog working together as part of a wider campaign for a Russian who masterminded the whole thing.
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Sounds like a nice bit of marketing PR to sell more books IMO.

However, "condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance" So I will have to read it before passing judgment. But my first reaction... cobblers!

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
    My post includes spoilers.

I wasn't sure where to make this post. In the fiction or non-fiction section. It's a novel but in a write up for The Telegraph website the author says "I have written it as fiction, but I believe in all essentials it is a matter of fact".

Link to The Telegraph website page.

"Having read Macnaghten’s report and the unpublished papers of George R Sims, who was a friend of both Macnaghten and Wilde and, as a journalist, covered the story from the start, my conclusion is that at least 10 of the 11 Whitechapel murders, plus others committed in London between the summer of 1888 and the spring of 1894, were the work of two of the other prime suspects who feature in Melville Macnaghten’s report."

Gyles Brandreth's grandmother’s first cousin was George R. Sims. Brandreth has read unpublished papers of George R Sims.
    He doesn't give names in The Telegraph piece but from what he does say I take it he means Kosminski and Michael Ostrog working together as part of a wider campaign for a Russian who masterminded the whole thing.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
    ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've been told it's being promoted as fiction.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
      X