• Time
  • Show
Clear All

hanbury st

f=food
    r=retail
    s=services
    m=manufacturing/making
    the green building is a sewing school, and the yellow building is a "free" methodist church. Dave
    Attached Files
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

a couple of notes on the images

1. the underlying map is from 1894, I have done my best to be dead on, some buildings may be off by a building or two, but the message of tone of the street is unaffected by this.
      2.The chief source for locating places and for the activity carried out therein is the 1888 postal directory. Some streets have no entries in this publication. I will add census data, but only after all the scenes are done using the postal directory.
      3. You will see a change in marker type to reflect the change in sources. Dave
      Last edited by protohistorian; 07-01-2010, 10:42 PM. Reason: poor organization Yeah! not spelling

Comment

yea or nae?

Is this format of presentation helpful or interesting? It is very labor intensive and has NO correlation with the actual surface of the earth, the plots are accurate only on the overlays. Dave

Comment

commercial street

It should be noted that these initial forays into area reconstruction are centered on an area 500 ft (approx) of body recovery sites. In that light, here is commercial street within 500 ft of Millers court. The nomenclatures are as always (m) for manufacturing, (r) for retail, (f) for food, (s) for services, and (o) for other.
          The others in the image that follows are a church (yellow house outline), a school ( green house), an importer on the left, and the "home of industry" on the right.
          It has also been pointed out to me that the red circles are not accurate. I did not place those, they were on the map when I downloaded it and I am incapable of removing it. Deal with it, it is too late now to change it. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

could someone explain this to me

Alook at the map and a comparison to the directory will show what I mean. The numbering sequence is VERY screwy!Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

a delightful little arrangement

Here is a good arrangement. On the left is the white heart pub, the green lines are the whitechapel high street entrance to George yard, and on the right a pawnshop. I guess it might be my past as a rounder, but it seems that when I am getting pie eyed(rat arsed as Gareth would say), what I really need to encourage responsible behavior and restrain my drinking is a pawnshop next door. Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

still working on his hood, here is an update

pic 1 is leather workers on the streets I have in, pic 2 is tobacco related enterprises in manufacturing. Eventually I will have the entire murder district, not just down to manufacturing, but the specific types. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

So here is the loddy doddy everybody pic, these have yet to be processed into classes. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

a learning example

Here is another example of a learning insight into WC by the virtue of geography. Here is an image with the pin in the address listed in the postal directory as a cow keeper. Of note is the back yard size. This means individual citizens, well away from areas dedicated to "farm" activities were engaged in urban horticulture. Now I do not want to sound the ass, but when has that been discussed in relation to neighborhood character? Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

With the well documented streets done, there are some features I am confident will change little as I move to the smaller streets. This images are those places described as "hosiers". As always I take suggestions on images people want to see. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

In the same vein as the last post, here are jewelers.Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

...and (at least to my understanding) piece brokers, is this gun dealer?Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

warehouses

What more can I say, its warehouse locations. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is another interesting place

"The Great Eastern Dispensary". As it happens it is located next to the "National Vaccine Establishment". Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

mostly banks, some pawn shops

Remember this is not yet a complete listing, but as one can see, not the area bereft of money flow some declare. Dave
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X