Jack The Mafiosi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Mafiosi?

This isn't something I think likely, or even plausible. But, while I've seen the idea that "Jack The Ripper" may actually have been a street gang member bandied about, I've never seen the notion that he may have been a Sicilian Black Hander mooted.

Again, note that I don't believe this. I take it as a matter of faith that the Ripper was a lone wolf serial killer motivated by psychosexual issues, either an Englishman or an Irishman or an Eastern European, probably but not definitely local to the East End. But still, in a field starved for novel theories like the Ripper killings, this probably qualifies.

Before the Mafia, there was the Black Hand. These were like, but not identical to, the Mafia of later decades; there was no organized 'Black Hand' as an entity, though some American policemen and journalists thought otherwise. There seem rather to have been small groups of Sicilian mobsters, sometimes even solitary individuals, who collectively became known as the 'Black Hand' because of the extortion letters they sometimes sent to their victims.

Per Mike Dash's masterful work on the subject of the early mob, The First Family:

To many New Yorkers, including the reporters of the English-language press, the most compelling feature of these cases was the bizarre decorations that adorned the extortion letters. Demands were accentuated with crude drawings of skulls, revolvers, and knives dripping with blood or piercing human hearts. Many also featured pictures of hands, in thick black ink, held up in the universal picture of warning. It was this last feature that inspired a journalist writing for The New York Herald to refer to the communications as "Black Hand" letters - a name that stuck, and, indeed, soon became synonymous with crime in Little Italy...
    It was this description of the Black Hand letters that made me think of some of the "Ripper letters", and, indeed, they bear a vague resemblance to each other.

Compare and contrast:

"The Ripper"

"The Black Hand"

Obviously there are things that argue against any such connection between these two particular letters - the Black Hand letter is in Italian, for instance. But not all Black Hand letters were. Ibid Dash:

The letters, which were always anonymous, were often phrased in bizarrely courteous Old World language, but the underlying threat of violence was ever present. "I beg you warmly," one suvch missive concluded, "to put them [the bank notes] on your door within four days. But if not, I swear this week's time not even the dust of your family will exist." Another, even blunter, letter warned:

You got some cash. I need $1000.00. You place the $100.00 bills in an envelope and place it under a board at the corner of 69th Street at eleven o'clock tonight. If you place the money there, you will live. If you don't, you die. If you report this to the police, I'll kill you when I get out. They may save your money but they won't save your life.

Now I'm very aware that there's no evidence that "the Ripper" actually wrote any of the letters ascribed to him (though I personally would give pretty strong credence to the Lusk letter), and that none of them seem to have tried to extort anything from anybody, and that seemingly few of them were decorated with little occult pictures like the one I posted above.

Like I said, I don't actually believe this theory.

But suppose for the sake of supposing. The attack on Emma Elizabeth Smith was made by a group of ruffians who shoved something in her vagina, or so she claimed. That, at least, seems to have been a gangland slaying, of the sort. Would it not be at least possible that some of the broader attacks on prostitutes in the Autumn of Terror may have been gang-related? Perhaps, say, a new gang moving into the area and trying to run those prostitutes associated with local, native gangs off the streets?

This is my imagination running away with me: a tiny group of Sicilians in the East End decides to break into the prostitution racket. They figure they need to get rid of the local whores associated with native East End gangs to do so. They attack Smith to send a message to those gangs. It doesn't work. So one of the more courageous of their number takes it upon itself to begin sending that message more directly - but in the process creates a myth that takes on a life of its own.

Were there any Sicilians in the East End at all? New York City was already teeming with Italians by 1888, but I can find none in London at the time: but I also do not have any census figures available to me.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not proposing this as a serious theory - but it's kind of fun to moot an idea of your own invention. At the least it goes to show how easy it is to invent a suspect out of whole cloth.

One other thing of note on a possible Italian connection: I can't find it in my books at the moment, but as I recall, one of the (innumerable) letters to the police sent by citizens trying to help came from a man who claimed that, while he was in Italy roundabouts 1885, he spied an Italian speaking to an Englishman about going to England and "ripping up girls". Whether I've got that exactly right I can't say for sure, as I can't find it in my books after a cursory examination, but probably one of you could quote it verbatim.

I don't personally think the Ripper was a Sicilian, again, or a gang member at all. But at least it's a novel avenue for exploration, and might help to uncover another part of the hidden history of English crime.

EDIT: Ah, here we are. Basically, the witness was a Brazilian visiting Italy who overheard a sinister conversation about the murder of English girls in the docks of Genoa. Probably unrelated to the Black Hand, let alone the Ripper, but I include it here for the sake of completeness.
    Last edited by Defective Detective; 10-07-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Def Det,

Even though the witness' language was Italian, he might have been reading into the conversation, and he could have forgotten some of the nuances of the language after two years away. It definitely depends what word was used for 'rip'.

Jack the Ripper is called both Jack Lo Squartatore and Jack Lo Strappatore. Squartare definitely means hack or quarter so there's no mistake there.

Squarciare is better, meaning rip or slash or rive. But I never heard of Jack Lo Squarciatore.

The Italian word usually translated as rip--Strappare--also means snatch or pull away.

So if it was strappare, I believe the conversation on the dock could easily have been about procuring girls by force for prostitution.

Comment

On a side thing I was on holiday in Seattle and spotted a letter which I took a picture with (it's a rather large file and I cant seem to upload it to here), it was a bomb threat letter from some Seattle residence who were angry against the influx of Asian populace. This was during the riots around 1886.

What is interesting is that it has drawn on it a skull and crossbones in a similar style to the other two letters shown here.

I think it was probably quite the 'norm' to add these stylings to letters at the time to show how 'dangerous' the content of the letter to be, rather than any over riding connotations of Mafia involvement.

seem to have been able to attach it now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	letter1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	666124

Comment

As far as there being Italians in London, there were Italians in large numbers based in and around Camberwell from the mid 19th century. They were mostly craftsmen, engaged in the making of musical instruments, terracotta ornaments etc.

In the 1880's Italian migration to Britain exploded due to the increasing popularity of ice cream as a dessert. Italians were very involved in the import of ice for this from Norway and in the production and selling of it.

At the same time lemons and the juices from lemons were being imported directly from Sicily into London and were proving extremely popular. The UK as well as the U.S. was a huge market for this product.

So yes, there were large numbers of Italians in London. In fact so many arrived from the 1880's that alarms were being raised, and they as well as migrant groups from Eastern and Central Europe and China were targets of the 1905 Aliens Act aimed at curbing immigration.

Of course, none of this proves that there was gang activity involving Sicilians in the East End of London. Most of the gangs like the High Rip gang suspected of the attack on Emma Smith seem to have been local youth, I believe. Skull and crossbones were used on threatening letters in the 19th century. A coroner received one in another case but dismissed it as a probable practical joke.
          Last edited by Rosella; 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

ELIZABETH PRATER : A kitten disturbed me about half-past three o'clock or a quarter to four. As I was turning round I heard a suppressed cry of "Omerta!" in a faint voice. It seemed to proceed from the court.

Comment

Skull and cross bones has been used as a sign of danger forever.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                ELIZABETH PRATER : A kitten disturbed me about half-past three o'clock or a quarter to four. As I was turning round I heard a suppressed cry of "Omerta!" in a faint voice. It seemed to proceed from the court.
                Yes, Mary was singing an Italian aria at the time and got interrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  As far as there being Italians in London, there were Italians in large numbers based in and around Camberwell from the mid 19th century. They were mostly craftsmen, engaged in the making of musical instruments, terracotta ornaments etc.

In the 1880's Italian migration to Britain exploded due to the increasing popularity of ice cream as a dessert. Italians were very involved in the import of ice for this from Norway and in the production and selling of it.

At the same time lemons and the juices from lemons were being imported directly from Sicily into London and were proving extremely popular. The UK as well as the U.S. was a huge market for this product.

So yes, there were large numbers of Italians in London. In fact so many arrived from the 1880's that alarms were being raised, and they as well as migrant groups from Eastern and Central Europe and China were targets of the 1905 Aliens Act aimed at curbing immigration.

Of course, none of this proves that there was gang activity involving Sicilians in the East End of London. Most of the gangs like the High Rip gang suspected of the attack on Emma Smith seem to have been local youth, I believe. Skull and crossbones were used on threatening letters in the 19th century. A coroner received one in another case but dismissed it as a probable practical joke.
                  Rosella,

Did you mean Clerkenwell rather than Camberwell? Clerkenwell was known as little Italy and was where the Derby Sabini gang originated.

They came to prominence in the early 20th century, but I would imagine they had predecessors in the area in the 1880's.

Gary

Comment

I do Gary, yes, thank you . That's the trouble with posting when you're about to disappear out the door!

Comment

Working...
                    X