Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 16 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - by caz 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: Bob Woffinden has died - by OneRound 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - by Pcdunn 5 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - by DrummondStreet 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (16 posts)
Maybrick, James: Too Sensible & Competent - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #361  
Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi wick.
I would be remiss if I didn't say I agree with you that the police bungled the case. They did big time, especially in the beginning.

And I also agree with you about the sexual assault. The evidence points to it, staged or not. But IMHO leaning more towards an outside intruder. I do think in all liklihood she was assaulted with The paintbrush handle to the genital area. Hence the unknown DNA on panties and leggings, blood spots and possible inflammation to the area caused by it.
Thanks Abby, some D.N.A. issues do concern me:
- First the claim D.N.A. was found beneath her fingernails, though her fingernails were cut (Autopsy report, bottom of pg.9), and sent to the Boulder Police, I have not seen where these samples were sent away for testing and the subsequent report.

- Second, the autopsy report mentioned petechial hemorrhage on her neck just above the ligature mark, though not described as fingernail marks, yet the photograph does show half-moon marks consistent with fingernail scratching - I would have thought the Pathologist would have made the suggestion "consistent with....".
If JonBenet did scratch her neck, and if D.N.A. was found beneath her fingernails - the obvious conclusion would be that it was her D.N.A. - yet the published account of this test says the D.N.A. found did not match anyone in the family, which, if it was her own D.N.A., then it would. Where is the original report?

- Third, throughout the whole crime scene there is no trace of 'outsider' fingerprints in the house, not on the pen, flashlight, duct tape, paintbrush handle, window frame/glass/sill, suitcase, etc.

Did he/they wear gloves?
Which then raises the subsequent issue of the 'touch DNA' discovered a decade later on the waist band of her leggings.
How come trace D.N.A. is found there, yet not anywhere else? Which raises the question did he remove his gloves and leave skin cells on either side of the waist band when he removed her leggings?

Or, is it simply a case that D.N.A. testing has become much more sensitive today and can be retrieved from the smallest cells, which was not possible in 1997? If so, then perhaps the killer touched his own skin with the gloved hand, wiped his brow, or rolled his sleeves up, thereby getting his own skin cells on the fingers of the gloves which transferred to the waist band?

There are a number of niggling details not clearly explained by any theory as yet.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Am I missing something here?

I have to say that it's a strange kind of sexual assault - for a lust filled pervert, now alone with his desired prey - to take a thin artist's paintbrush and insert it into the child's vagina. What king of thrill would somebody get from that?

This is why I say it was staged, a 'token' genital interferring-with, if you like, by somebody who wanted people to think it was a sexually motivated murder.


Changing the subject slightly.....

The more I think about Burke the more it seems likely that he did, in fact, kill JonBenet.

Just supposing.......just supposing he was horribly jealous of his little sister. She was getting the lion's share of the attention, all the praise while he was being overlooked. Would it have affected him? A feeling of not being loved as much as his sister, maybe? Perhaps he truly hated her but kept it inside.

Little boys can be aggressive, more so than girls. Could it be that Christmas night Burke decided to play a game that got rid of JonBenet forever? Perhaps unintentionally at first.

I believe that it was Burke who took the pineapple from the fridge, after the parents had gone to bed. He and JonBenet both ate some.

Then somehow during one of their games (maybe with one of Burke's new Christmas toys) JonBenet got her skull crushed. Accidentally.

And here's the part I hadn't considered before, but it seems a possibility.....

Burke then took the cord and pulled it tight around her neck. At this time he was trying to make sure she wouldn't wake up - ever! She would never be a nuisance to him again. The cord wasn't tight enough so he decided to use a stick, as he may have seen in war magazines. He would have made a couple of attempts before he saw that she was no longer breathing.

I believe a 10 year old boy could do this.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
Am I missing something here?

I have to say that it's a strange kind of sexual assault - for a lust filled pervert, now alone with his desired prey - to take a thin artist's paintbrush and insert it into the child's vagina. What king of thrill would somebody get from that?
Are you serious???
Hundreds of cases include blunt objects rammed into the vagina.
May I remind you this is a Jack the Ripper site, ....have you forgotten how Emma Smith met her death at the hands of some youths..?

"......where they beat, raped, and viciously jabbed a blunt object into her vagina, tearing the perineum."


Quote:
Changing the subject slightly.....

The more I think about Burke the more it seems likely that he did, in fact, kill JonBenet.

Just supposing.......just supposing he was horribly jealous of his little sister. She was getting the lion's share of the attention, all the praise while he was being overlooked. Would it have affected him? A feeling of not being loved as much as his sister, maybe? Perhaps he truly hated her but kept it inside.

Little boys can be aggressive, more so than girls. Could it be that Christmas night Burke decided to play a game that got rid of JonBenet forever? Perhaps unintentionally at first.

I believe that it was Burke who took the pineapple from the fridge, after the parents had gone to bed. He and JonBenet both ate some.

Then somehow during one of their games (maybe with one of Burke's new Christmas toys) JonBenet got her skull crushed. Accidentally.
Pretty close to my suspicions, which I held for most of these 20 years, but I also admit I never took more than a passing interest in the case - I held the conclusion as so obvious I couldn't be bothered to read up on it - my mistake.

Quote:
And here's the part I hadn't considered before, but it seems a possibility.....

Burke then took the cord and pulled it tight around her neck. At this time he was trying to make sure she wouldn't wake up - ever! She would never be a nuisance to him again. The cord wasn't tight enough so he decided to use a stick, as he may have seen in war magazines. He would have made a couple of attempts before he saw that she was no longer breathing.

I believe a 10 year old boy could do this.
Have you heard of anyone suggesting a 9 year old could make such an intricate device, and carry out this crime, while at the same time leave 'foreign' DNA on her body?

There is also the issue of the voices overheard after Patsy thought she hung up the phone, the recording was said to be enhanced. I wasn't aware the enhancement was not by a legitimate lab.
Other sources have pointed out that legitimate audio Labs have enhanced the tape and found nothing but background noise, they emphasize no voices were detectable on the tape.
As Abby reminded us, we should all play Beatles records backwards and compare what 'voices' we 'believe' we can hear
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Thanks Abby, some D.N.A. issues do concern me:
- First the claim D.N.A. was found beneath her fingernails, though her fingernails were cut (Autopsy report, bottom of pg.9), and sent to the Boulder Police, I have not seen where these samples were sent away for testing and the subsequent report.

- Second, the autopsy report mentioned petechial hemorrhage on her neck just above the ligature mark, though not described as fingernail marks, yet the photograph does show half-moon marks consistent with fingernail scratching - I would have thought the Pathologist would have made the suggestion "consistent with....".
If JonBenet did scratch her neck, and if D.N.A. was found beneath her fingernails - the obvious conclusion would be that it was her D.N.A. - yet the published account of this test says the D.N.A. found did not match anyone in the family, which, if it was her own D.N.A., then it would. Where is the original report?

- Third, throughout the whole crime scene there is no trace of 'outsider' fingerprints in the house, not on the pen, flashlight, duct tape, paintbrush handle, window frame/glass/sill, suitcase, etc.

Did he/they wear gloves?
Which then raises the subsequent issue of the 'touch DNA' discovered a decade later on the waist band of her leggings.
How come trace D.N.A. is found there, yet not anywhere else? Which raises the question did he remove his gloves and leave skin cells on either side of the waist band when he removed her leggings?

Or, is it simply a case that D.N.A. testing has become much more sensitive today and can be retrieved from the smallest cells, which was not possible in 1997? If so, then perhaps the killer touched his own skin with the gloved hand, wiped his brow, or rolled his sleeves up, thereby getting his own skin cells on the fingers of the gloves which transferred to the waist band?

There are a number of niggling details not clearly explained by any theory as yet.
Hi wick
I think if it was an intruder he wore latex gloves hence no trace of fingerprints and if the touch DNA on Jon benet was his it simply came from a different part of his body and or got transferred onto his gloves as you say.

I've never been to impressed by the claims of DNA under the nails, nor the claims of her scratching herself on the neck to pull on the garrot.It's all too nebulous.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Are you serious???
Hundreds of cases include blunt objects rammed into the vagina.
May I remind you this is a Jack the Ripper site, ....have you forgotten how Emma Smith met her death at the hands of some youths..?

"......where they beat, raped, and viciously jabbed a blunt object into her vagina, tearing the perineum."




Pretty close to my suspicions, which I held for most of these 20 years, but I also admit I never took more than a passing interest in the case - I held the conclusion as so obvious I couldn't be bothered to read up on it - my mistake.



Have you heard of anyone suggesting a 9 year old could make such an intricate device, and carry out this crime, while at the same time leave 'foreign' DNA on her body?

There is also the issue of the voices overheard after Patsy thought she hung up the phone, the recording was said to be enhanced. I wasn't aware the enhancement was not by a legitimate lab.
Other sources have pointed out that legitimate audio Labs have enhanced the tape and found nothing but background noise, they emphasize no voices were detectable on the tape.
As Abby reminded us, we should all play Beatles records backwards and compare what 'voices' we 'believe' we can hear
But that being said as I mentioned before, the 911 operator said she thought she heard pasty say in a cold monotone voice after she thought she hung up something along the lines of OK we've called police now what. She said her drastic change of tone of voice from frantic to calm struck her as very odd and that she thought patsy was faking the original panic.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 09-25-2016, 11:27 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Hundreds of cases include blunt objects rammed into the vagina.
Yes, but an artist's painbrush is a thin and fine item. It wasn't 'rammed' but inserted. There is a big difference.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post

Have you heard of anyone suggesting a 9 year old could make such an intricate device, and carry out this crime, while at the same time leave 'foreign' DNA on her body?
This garrott was NOT an intricate device but a piece of cord and a broken end of an artist's paintbrush.

Just because nobody has ever heard of a 9 year old doing this before does not mean Burke Ramsey was incapable of it.

Try taking those blinkers off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post



There is also the issue of the voices overheard after Patsy thought she hung up the phone, the recording was said to be enhanced. I wasn't aware the enhancement was not by a legitimate lab.
Other sources have pointed out that legitimate audio Labs have enhanced the tape and found nothing but background noise, they emphasize no voices were detectable on the tape.
The FBI analysed the recording and can probably hear the background sounds A LOT more clearly than we can hear it on our computer speakers. I think that the FBI may have given the tape to NASA to see if they could make it clearer (I could be wrong on this point). I seem to recollect them doing so.

When you state "Other sources" can you, in future, give us the names of these other sources?

Last edited by louisa : 09-25-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 09-25-2016, 11:41 PM
DirectorDave DirectorDave is online now
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK.
Posts: 310
Default

Clemente and Richards do a Real Crime Profile podcast...there are a number on the JBR case, I'm listening to the OJ Simpson ones at the moment which are quite good.

https://art19.com/shows/real-crime-profile
__________________
My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 09-26-2016, 03:28 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Dave - thanks for that. I'll be having a look at that later.


Getting back to Patsy's call to 911, in preliminary examinations detectives thought they could hear some words being spoken between the time Patsy said "Hurry, hurry, hurry" and time time the call was terminated.

The FBI and the US Secret Service could not lift much from the background noise on the tape. As a final effort several months later the police sent the tape to the electronic wizards at the Aerospace Corporation in Los Angeles and asked them to try and decipher the sounds behind the noise.

Patsy apparently had trouble hanging up the telephone and before it rested in the cradle she was heard to moan "Help me, Jesus, help me Jesus". Her husband was heard to bark "We're not talking to you" and in the background was a young sounding voice "What did you find?" It was Burke.

The Ramseys would repeatedly tell police that their son did not wake up at any point throughout the night of the crime.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,626
Default

The JBR Murder will be dramatized in a Lifetime Channel TV movie called "Who Killed JonBenet?", to air in November. I wonder which solution they will choose?

http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/...movie/1622098/

And this is a pretty good listing of all recent television programs about the case.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/a-jonbenet-...140002025.html
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
But that being said as I mentioned before, the 911 operator said she thought she heard pasty say in a cold monotone voice after she thought she hung up something along the lines of OK we've called police now what. She said her drastic change of tone of voice from frantic to calm struck her as very odd and that she thought patsy was faking the original panic.
Yes I saw that piece, the operator did say there was a change in Patsy's voice, I didn't hear one, she sounded like any frantic mother to me, to the end. And, like I pointed out earlier, Patsy is more a follower than a leader, when frantic she turned to John and said, "Ok, we've called the police, now what?", she didn't know what to do.
At least, that is what the operator told people, but in the documentary I saw, they played the enhanced tape and no-one on the team of analysts could hear those words, neither did I.

The muffled noises being passed off as voices are just that, muffled noises.
As for Burke, he was in his bed according to both him and his parents. The minute he came down he was bundled off to family friends - this was in the presence of police. So no time for coaching by the parents, if he knew anything the Ramsey's took a great risk placing him in the hands of family friends, he could have spilled the beans, if he had any to spill.

This "background voices" nonsense is very much like those ridiculous Paranormal stories on TV where "investigators"? claim to hear voices in the dark, yet no-one else really hears anything.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.