No announcement yet.

2ND battalion Scot's guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes exactly! Back in those times it was easy to lie/and or change your name or even ones identity alltogether. Computers and fingerprinting and the like were not available during those days and times. Maybe MJK didn't even have siblings or maybe she had been a ward of the court, or an orphan. She could have said anything to anyone and it possibly would not have been questioned. It doesn't appear that she had many friends other than the prostitutes she associated with or men she dated/serviced. I feel she may have altered her past altogether. Had she siblings or even a brother, I feel certain he would have come to claim her belongings and at the very least assist in her burial as all her siblings would.

I don't think she had anyone to be truthful. What parents she did have were probably dead.

Did McCarthy try to contact her brother??

Comment

identity

Hello Danae. Yes, it's almost as if she were a person with her identity changed.

Reminds me of a witness protection program where an informant is given a "new identity."

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

I would be willing to bet that this is what happened or possibly she had committed a crime in another town or another part of London. Nothing about her really makes much sense. The other victims families were found and contacted to my recollection and it wasn't really hard to find the other victims families. A lot was known about the other victims, such as how many children they had, husbands, etc. Nothing is really known about MJK. I personally believe she was hiding something.

Comment

Hi Danae,
          According to McCarthy's great grand-daughter, Mary's brother [ who was in the army] was contacted, and belongings were parcelled up and sent on .
          It would appear that he was rather anxious that all of this might hinder his army prospects.
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Hi Debs

The story of the tragic marriage to the collier, the tragic death of her husband and (perhaps) the delay in being paid compensation, necessitating the switch to prostitution, all might have been calculated to arouse Barnett's sympathy and make him feel protective towards her. She would have been saying, "It's only bad luck that forced me to go on the streets." Maybe she spun this yarn to every man she met.

Hi Robert,
            Yes,that definitely has more of a ring of truth about it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
              Hi Danae,
              According to McCarthy's great grand-daughter, Mary's brother [ who was in the army] was contacted, and belongings were parcelled up and sent on .
              It would appear that he was rather anxious that all of this might hinder his army prospects.
              Regards Richard.
              Hi Richard,

Yes, this makes a lot of sense, and I can understand the man not wanting his army prospects hindered. I wonder if he was ever contacted later, or if there is any way to find out who he is, if Mary's belongings were sent to him, although I do have a hard time understanding why he would not attend his sisters services. Surely the army would have been compassionate enough to allow the man leave for such a thing???? Not sure, but possibly he was worried that he would be judged for who his sister was?

Comment

A Fenian connection again?

Reminds me of a witness protection program where an informant is given a "new identity."
                Hi Lynn

Didn't I read another thread somewhere, wherein a witness protection scheme, arising out of the Parnell Commission/other Fenian enquiries, accounted for both the alias and the murder?

Or were you being mischievous again?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post

Or were you being mischievous again?

Dave
                  He was. But would he know ?

Comment

Working...
                  X