X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The What'shisname letter!

Hi all
    Erm, sorry I'm not sure what this letter is refered to as:
    6 October 1888 -- this letter was received by a local paper and is believed to have been intended for either Israel Schwartz or Joseph Lawende, both of whom believe to have witnessed the Ripper and gave descriptions of the man they saw to the police. Few researchers believe this letter to be real.

{Transcription)

You though your-self very clever I reckon when you informed the police. But you made a mistake if you though I dident see you. Now I known you know me and I see your little game, and I mean to finish you and send your ears to your wife if you show this to the police or help them if you do I will finish you. It no use your trying to get out of my way. Because I have you when you dont expect it and I keep my word as you soon see and rip you up. Yours truly Jack the Ripper.

PS You see I know your address

I was wondering if there is a copy of the original anywhere to be seen? And how should I refer to it in future to stop any further embarrassment?

Cheers

Hi Normy,

A copy is to be found right here on Casebook: http://photos.casebook.org/displayimage.php?pos=-426

Eddleston's 'JtR, an Encyclopaedia' says that the file held at the Public Record Office clearly shows that this letter was found in the street between Princess Road and Slehurst Railway Station, so was never actually posted at all.

All the best,
    Frank
    "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
    Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Hi Normy,

It may be found in Casebook's Photo Archive, here. It's usually referred to as the "6th October Letter", or variants thereof - it doesn't have a catchy name, as far as I'm aware.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank van Oploo View Post
        this letter was found in the street between Princess Road and Slehurst Railway Station
        Hi Frank,

Our posts to Normy crossed, but one question - where was "Slehurst" Railway Station? Should that be SELhurst, in Surrey?

I don't have a copy of Eddlestone, otherwise I'd look it up myself.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Gareth,

Yes, I guess that in beating you to replying to Normy's post, I've made a typo. It should be SELhurst!

Frank
          Last edited by FrankO; 07-19-2008, 04:18 PM.
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Thanks, Frank. My instinct tells me that we should perhaps be looking for an "enterprising journalist" who lived in Croydon at the time, if for no other reason than I believe that the "6th October" missive was probably penned by the same hand that wrote Dear Boss, Saucy Jacky and the "Fraser" letter.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Frank, Sam

Great, thanks for all the information on this.

Cheers

Comment

Informally a number of us refer to it as the "Up yours truly" letter, thanks to the way the words are spaced on the last line.

The writing is very similar to that found in the Dear Boss letter and Saucy Jacky postcard, but in my opinion much less so to the "poor annie" postcard (addressed to Fraser).

Dan Norder
                Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Thanks, Frank. My instinct tells me that we should perhaps be looking for an "enterprising journalist" who lived in Croydon at the time, if for no other reason than I believe that the "6th October" missive was probably penned by the same hand that wrote Dear Boss, Saucy Jacky and the "Fraser" letter.

Especially as it was found in the street, or so we are told, and it isn't specifically addressed to either Schwartz or Lawende. A journalist might have thought that trying to frighten a witness was going too far, so it's a generic upyourstruly letter?
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

LETTERS FROM HELL says that this letter was"postmarked the 8th and posted in the London NW district."

What gives?

Comment

Hi All,

The letter found between Princess Road and Selhurst Railway Station was NOT the "up yours truly" missive. It was a WARNING letter signed Leather Apron.

Letter From Hell—Page 224.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks, Simon. Your answer takes us back to the original problem of not having a name for "up Yours truly" because the found Leather Apron letter was indeed found on Oct.6.

Comment

Working...
                        X