Maybrick/Formby Connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caz View Post
    And of course Anne's story, featuring the alleged Formby/Yapp connection, was totally at odds with Feldy's theoretical Maybrick/Graham blood tie.
    I don't think it very unreasonable or highly incredible at all that the Graham's were related to Florrie and then, later on, married into friends of one of her servants. Servant/'master' links live on.

There is still no rationale for Anne's claims other than trying to protect Michael or telling the truth. Her word is supported by the fact that her husband had the Diary and she knew Devereaux.

It's unfortunate Devereaux died but the Barretts knew him because he was sick. Who else could Anne have given it to?

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
      I don't think it very unreasonable or highly incredible at all that the Graham's were related to Florrie and then, later on, married into friends of one of her servants. Servant/'master' links live on.
      Hi MayBea,

Knowing all the blood, sweat and tears Feldy expended on trying - in vain - to prove some family link back to the Maybricks, I strongly doubt there was ever a provable link to be discovered.

There is still no rationale for Anne's claims other than trying to protect Michael or telling the truth. Her word is supported by the fact that her husband had the Diary and she knew Devereaux.
      It is only a fact that Mike had the diary, not that Anne ever knew Tony Devereux. With a young daughter and a job, I'm not at all sure she'd have drunk in the Saddle with Mike, for example, or visited Tony in his nearby home. She may have known of him, as one of Mike's acquaintances, but there is no evidence for her having met him. Mike himself appeared sceptical that she had ever been inside his house.

It's unfortunate Devereaux died but the Barretts knew him because he was sick. Who else could Anne have given it to?
      Hang on. Mike claimed to know Devereux before he was sick. He died in 1991, yet Mike's first known mention of the diary was not until 1992, when he claimed that Devereux had given it to him. Anne's claim to have given it to Devereux did not come for another two years and it took Mike completely by surprise. We simply don't know how well she knew Devereux, if at all.

Whether or not her claim was true (and whether or not she knew or suspected where the diary had really come from) it served as damage limitation in the wake of Mike's forgery claim, and fitted in with his original Devereux story. And so it became a case of which story to believe: one featuring the late Tony Devereux; one featuring Mike as a modern hoax conspirator, if not master forger - or one that has yet to be told.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Last edited by caz; 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM.
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
        Hang on. Mike claimed to know Devereux before he was sick. He died in 1991, yet Mike's first known mention of the diary was not until 1992, when he claimed that Devereux had given it to him...We simply don't know how well she knew Devereux, if at all.
        According to the Maybrick A-Z, Devereux allegedly gave Mike the Diary in mid-1991.

Devereux was housebound with a broken hip so I'm guessing he was aged and on his last legs. If Anne knew of him, he'd be the perfect person/harmless 'patsy' to give the Diary to, to pass on to Mike.

Don't you believe a person like Devereux did give it to Mike, if Mike didn't know anything about it and he seemed to have no one to turn to, to get more information? From one 'patsy' to another.

Comment

Quite simple really Mr Barrett gets his hands on diary to profit from diary he has to have ownership when Tony dies he says Tony gave it him. This can't be proved however it can't be DISPROVED so diary can be published and Mr Barrett can receive his money.When we were told the real story by Mrs Barrett and she adds her seriously ill father into the story then he dies its a case of home and dry and good bye police.
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
            According to the Maybrick A-Z, Devereux allegedly gave Mike the Diary in mid-1991.
            Yes, and 'allegedly' would refer to the fact that this was just one of many other claims made by Mike, which have never been substantiated.

Devereux was housebound with a broken hip so I'm guessing he was aged and on his last legs.
            Yes, you're guessing. Devereux's fatal heart attack in August 1991 was quite unexpected according to his family, and I believe he was only about my age - 60. So don't be so cheeky.

Don't you believe a person like Devereux did give it to Mike, if Mike didn't know anything about it and he seemed to have no one to turn to, to get more information? From one 'patsy' to another.
            I merely go where the evidence takes me, MayBea. And Mike's "liar liar pants on fire" claims do not amount to evidence in my book.

To believe anything Mike has said about the diary is to have faith. And I can't be doing with faith of that sort.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I believe he was only about my age - 60.
              My goodness positively ancient.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

She looks 25, though.

Comment

To believe anything Mike has said about the diary is to have faith. And I can't be doing with faith of that sort.
                  Faith is one thing but with Mike I am not sure that even faith is enough. He has proven himself to be untrustworthy.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                  X