Down in Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down in Whitechapel

So I'm down in Whitechapel for the day having a look around the area, getting a feel for it and taking a look at the murder sites.

Bucks row is still part closed and the mitre square refurbishment is coming along well. One of the passages has responded and a big tower block has been built. The square looks smaller again and I can feel how it must have been like back in 1888.

Been to George Yard and will now be heading off to some of the pubs and having a few pints.

Cool, I was there a couple of weeks ago... Hope you take some photographs. How close did you get to Dorset St?

Comment

Meant one of the passages has reopened, not responded haha :d

And yeah I went as close as I could to Dorset Street, got a decent view but it's still all closed off. Very small street surprisingly.

Comment

I think it is extraordinary that you can still see as much of the original area there as you can -- in the United States, the past is frequently torn down, buried over, and built into something completely different. Thank goodness for a robust program of Historical Preservation for birthplaces and homes of famous persons, or we'd have nothing left at all.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Working...
        X