Inquest Reports of Mizen/Cross Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi David,

In estimating the possible number of journalists at Polly Nichols' inquest by pointing out the differences in various newspaper reports you appear to have dismissed the influential role of the sub-editor.

For all you know the inquest may have been covered by just two agency reporters, sent over the wire and 'subbed' by various newspapers in a number of subtle ways.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi David,

In estimating the possible number of journalists at Polly Nichols' inquest by pointing out the differences in various newspaper reports you appear to have dismissed the influential role of the sub-editor.

For all you know the inquest may have been covered by just two agency reporters, sent over the wire and 'subbed' by various newspapers in a number of subtle ways.
      I have factored that into my thinking Simon. A classic example which springs immediately to mind is the Birmingham Daily Post reporter mishearing "Praed Street" for Brady Street. That is not a change a sub-editor would have made because it is not a mistake that would be made on paper. Equally a sub-editor would not know that a witness called "George Cross" was actually Charles Cross. I'm not claiming that I must be 100% perfect. The fact that The Times and Star reporters both thought that they heard Cross say he left his house at 3:20 is problematic but look at the style of the reports in the Times and the Star, they are totally different (and one refers to PC Myzen the other to PC Mizen). Anyway, I have thought about it, already considered the points you have raised, and I've done the best I can do while recognising that it can't be entirely fooproof.

Comment

Hi David,

The Pall Mall Gazette reporter must have been equally deaf.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

As I have already said in this thread, and included in my latest list (see #47), the reporter for the Birmingham Daily Post and the Pall Mall Gazette was the same person.

Comment

Hi David,

Thirteen reporters on behalf of nineteen newspapers at an inquest into the death of a fourpenny East End unfortunate?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

I don't know where you are getting your figure of 13 reporters from Simon. I have only found 10 (A-J). The murder of Mary Ann Nichols was HUGE news over the weekend of 1/2 September, literally front page news. There was massive interest in it, so I see absolutely no reason why 10 court reporters (which includes at least 2, and perhaps more, agency reporters) would not be sent down to report on the inquest by their editors.

Comment

Hi David,

I took my count from your Post#47.

Did I miscount or otherwise misinterpret your post?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

You have misinterpreted it if you think C1-4 are supposed to be different reporters. They are not. They are the same man. I have explained it my posts. The reason for setting them out like that is the published reports are a bit different (and the Eastern Argus and East London Observer actually contain information not in the other two)

Comment

Hi David,

As it has become patently obvious that you have lost your grasp on reality, I shall leave you to your fantasies.

Please do not trouble to reply.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Bizarre post Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                        I don't know where you are getting your figure of 13 reporters from Simon. I have only found 10 (A-J).
                        When reading the weeklies coverage (East London Obs., Lloyds, Weekly Dispatch, etc.) I see no justification to believe any of these publications had their own reporters present.
                        In most cases they had the entire weeks Dailies plus the Evening coverage to choose from, it was cheaper for them to simply copy & edit what has already gone to press.

We can see the Evening papers had their own reporters present due to the fact their same-day coverage breaks off in the middle of the inquest.

As far as the Dailies go, it is hardly conceivable that the major Dailies would not have their own reporters present. If the coverage found in the Morning Post is identical to the Morning Advertiser then I think it is more likely they had some arrangement in telegraphing the story from one to the other so they both were able to publish an early morning edition.
                        Likewise, with the Daily News and Daily Chronicle.

Comparing press coverage is an interesting issue in itself.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          When reading the weeklies coverage (East London Obs., Lloyds, Weekly Dispatch, etc.) I see no justification to believe any of these publications had their own reporters present.
                          I agree with you Wickerman. As my list states, LWN and Weekly Dispatch were both using the reports from the Daily Telegraph reporter. The East London Observer was using the Daily Chronicle/Daily News reporter.

We can see the Evening papers had their own reporters present due to the fact their same-day coverage breaks off in the middle of the inquest.
                          Agreed.

As far as the Dailies go, it is hardly conceivable that the major Dailies would not have their own reporters present. If the coverage found in the Morning Post is identical to the Morning Advertiser then I think it is more likely they had some arrangement in telegraphing the story from one to the other so they both were able to publish an early morning edition.
                          Likewise, with the Daily News and Daily Chronicle.
                          Agreed.

Comparing press coverage is an interesting issue in itself.
                          I agree!

Comment

Working...
                          X